SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjoe View Post
I honestly dont know. Maybe its pending some google lawyer approval, and since theres no real business purpose to spending time on this, its low on a list of priorities.
It probably takes some time to strip out the proprietary (licensed) stuff that can't be Open Sourced, but still leave a working product.

IMO it's been pretty clear all along that SageTV is Jeff's baby, I doubt he'd just hack and slash the licensed components out and loose a broken OS SageTV on the world.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:17 AM
Sage User

I have no problem waiting a year (if it came to that) knowing there will be a new Sagetv again.. I waited this long already knowing it was gone
Old 06-03-2015, 11:26 AM
Sage

It's going to happen. And I stick by my original timeline.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
It's going to happen. And I stick by my original timeline.
Thanks for continuing to keep us updated and for the best DVR software that was ever created! It's amazing that with this software frozen in place for years that there is still nothing close to it.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclenney View Post
Thanks for continuing to keep us updated and for the best DVR software that was ever created! It's amazing that with this software frozen in place for years that there is still nothing close to it.
Thanks! I always get a warm fuzzy when people say that.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks! I always get a warm fuzzy when people say that.
I've always dreamt of doing something big like this. I'm always behind the curve with my ideas though.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Sage Expert

I'll bet that the story about how you initially decided to create sagetv, Jeff, is a very interesting story. I wouldn't mind hearing it. Being a IT business man, I know what kind of thinking and planning goes into starting, running and becoming a successful business. You actually invented something that wasn't available then. I think it would be very interesting as far as I'm concerned. Necessity is the mother of invention. Is this what got you thinking about something better, Like SageTV?
Sage Tv Server-Amd 4200FX quad core, Asus Nvidia EN610 Hdmi out , 8 Gig Ram ,(3) HVR-1800, 3.5 terrabyte storage, Windows 8 Pro on sage 9.09 system . Media Server- 6 Terabytes on 5 drives, Amd x2 6000 8 useable gig ram on win 7 32 bit media server.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:49 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnadeau View Post
I'll bet that the story about how you initially decided to create sagetv, Jeff, is a very interesting story. I wouldn't mind hearing it.
+1. The startup, and business decisions like offering extenders, the Google buyout, and open sourcing.
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnadeau View Post
I'll bet that the story about how you initially decided to create sagetv, Jeff, is a very interesting story. I wouldn't mind hearing it. Being a IT business man, I know what kind of thinking and planning goes into starting, running and becoming a successful business. You actually invented something that wasn't available then. I think it would be very interesting as far as I'm concerned. Necessity is the mother of invention. Is this what got you thinking about something better, Like SageTV?
I gave a keyntoe speech at the Google for Entrepreneur's event a few years ago in LA where I went over the whole story. I'm not going to rehash all of that right now...but the reason i started it was because i was tired of working for other people who were getting all the credit of the business, and figured I could do it myself (and the money). It was WAY harder than I ever expected, and took WAY longer to actually turn it into something valuable than I thought. I did DVR software because I had some video capture cards from a prior job...I watched a lot of TV...and a Tivo didn't have enough tuners or storage space to make me happy. I figured if I built something really cool that I liked...others would probably like it too. Which is exactly why I ended up with a niche market product in the end...albeit one that's had far more levels of bug fixing and stability fixes applied to it than most any other consumer software you'll come across.

I cringed recently when i was watching Shark Tank and Mark Cuban said something along the lines of "Trying to perfect a technology is the enemy of profitability. It only needs to be 'so' good." So sad, but true for most companies.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I gave a keyntoe speech at the Google for Entrepreneur's event a few years ago in LA where I went over the whole story. I'm not going to rehash all of that right now...but the reason i started it was because i was tired of working for other people who were getting all the credit of the business, and figured I could do it myself (and the money). It was WAY harder than I ever expected, and took WAY longer to actually turn it into something valuable than I thought. I did DVR software because I had some video capture cards from a prior job...I watched a lot of TV...and a Tivo didn't have enough tuners or storage space to make me happy. I figured if I built something really cool that I liked...others would probably like it too. Which is exactly why I ended up with a niche market product in the end...albeit one that's had far more levels of bug fixing and stability fixes applied to it than most any other consumer software you'll come across.

I cringed recently when i was watching Shark Tank and Mark Cuban said something along the lines of "Trying to perfect a technology is the enemy of profitability. It only needs to be 'so' good." So sad, but true for most companies.
That ok Jeff as my brain may go in over load any way hehe
Old 06-05-2015, 01:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

thanks for clearing up the history. I was imagining it was more like HBO's Silicon Valley show.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
thanks for clearing up the history. I was imagining it was more like HBO's Silicon Valley show.
Hmm I haven't seen that one yet but did see AMC Halt and Catch Fire ?.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Hmm I haven't seen that one yet but did see AMC Halt and Catch Fire ?.
I'm loving that show.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:24 PM
Sage Expert

thanks jeff, you said exactly what I thought you would, and starting and running a business IS ALOT more work, but like you I didn't care for how customers and myself were being treated. I started and ran an automotive specialty business for 25 yrs. This one was very difficult as I had to spend 100,000.00 just to get it going. The computer business came alot easier as I then had an idea what to expect.

Thanks for sharing that!
Sage Tv Server-Amd 4200FX quad core, Asus Nvidia EN610 Hdmi out , 8 Gig Ram ,(3) HVR-1800, 3.5 terrabyte storage, Windows 8 Pro on sage 9.09 system . Media Server- 6 Terabytes on 5 drives, Amd x2 6000 8 useable gig ram on win 7 32 bit media server.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:06 AM
Sage User

I have been listening to a podcast called Entertainment 2.0 hosted by the Digital Media Zone for as many years a I have been using Sage.
The podcast used to be devoted to Windows Media Center, but alas they can only moan about its demise. I heard about Sage going open source on that podcast. When they mention Sage its only in context as to how awkward Sage is and how much they prefer WMC.
I am sooo looking forward to leaving them a voicemail suggesting they should now be happy that they have something to turn to, that being Sage TV.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:14 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogburgs View Post
I have been listening to a podcast called Entertainment 2.0 hosted by the Digital Media Zone for as many years a I have been using Sage.
The podcast used to be devoted to Windows Media Center, but alas they can only moan about its demise. I heard about Sage going open source on that podcast. When they mention Sage its only in context as to how awkward Sage is and how much they prefer WMC.
I am sooo looking forward to leaving them a voicemail suggesting they should now be happy that they have something to turn to, that being Sage TV.
I've tried both over the years but I didn't want to run Xbox 360 as extenders. Not much of a thin client compared to an mvp, hd n' hundred device.
Seemed really limited with regard to available extenders when I looked into it pre 2007.
Sage was a remarkable step up in simplicity , extensibility for me
HD-HOMERUN CONNECT(2xDVB-T2)x2,
1 HD-PVR2 (Gaming Edition)/SKY HD,
QNAP NAS
Old 06-06-2015, 02:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogburgs View Post
DMZ still exists? wow.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:13 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
I think this is the first comment I've seen here of Comcast's X1 system. I too am on Comcast, but given just how HORRENDOUS all of their past STBs have been I didn't want to chance going to the X1 only to find out it suffered the same as their old boxes. i.e. Make you want to vomit and/or throw the damned thing out the window every time you try to use it. I have 2 of their "new" old boxes, but they are hooked up to my HD-PVRs so I never actually see them.
The Comcast X1 system is surprisingly very nice in terms of the user interface and functionality. The web management integration and mobile apps are decent too. However, its the performance that kills the experience. I don't know if the STB's are underpowered or if their X1 backend systems is the cause of the latency. My other disappointment with X1 is that you can only pause live TV on the DVR unit and not at any of the other smaller STBs that make of the *whole home* solution. With that said, X1 is light years ahead of the old Scientific Atlanta DVR from Time Warner cable that I used previously.

Nothing from the providers has ever come close to my old ReplayTV or SageTV.
Capture Devices: 2 @ Hauppauge HD-PVR (1212), Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 ATSC/QAM, HD Homerun
Media Extenders: 2 @ Sage HD100 & 1 @ Sage HD200
Signals/Providers: AT&T UVerse, OTA ATSC
Set-Top-Box: 2 @ Motorola Box VIP 1200
Old 06-11-2015, 03:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadeblue.com View Post
The Comcast X1 system is surprisingly very nice in terms of the user interface and functionality. The web management integration and mobile apps are decent too. However, its the performance that kills the experience. I don't know if the STB's are underpowered or if their X1 backend systems is the cause of the latency. My other disappointment with X1 is that you can only pause live TV on the DVR unit and not at any of the other smaller STBs that make of the *whole home* solution. With that said, X1 is light years ahead of the old Scientific Atlanta DVR from Time Warner cable that I used previously.

Nothing from the providers has ever come close to my old ReplayTV or SageTV.
I moved from my final total of 4 VCRs for recording TV (I had a rotating schedule that had me working nights half the time so I had to record everything) to eventually 4 ReplayTVs (the original TiVo's *blew chunks* in comparison to ReplayTV IMHO) to SageTV.
During those transitions I always kept a couple of the "last gen" recording technology for backups and conflicts.
When Comcast went all digital I shelved the ReplayTVs. I had long since stopped using the VCRs as they would each die. I now only have one combo VCR/DVD player/recorder, but don't remember the last time I put anything in either the VCR or DVD slot on that puppy.

I still have my 4 ReplayTVs sitting on a shelf. Know anyone who wants them? Original Replay 2000 and 3030 upgraded to 60 and 80 gig drives and 2 Replay 5504s with 80 and 120 gig drives.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:12 PM
SageTVaholic

The question I haven't seen asked is if Jeff plans on helping with the open source development.

I'm guessing that he's gained some experience since working with Google.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.

Tags
open source