SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:58 PM
SageTVaholic

I seem to recall Jeff mentioning that he would be around to help in some capacity. Like everyone else, he has a full time job, so no idea of how much time he has to commit, but let's wait and see when the open source announcement is updated.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:11 AM
SageTVaholic

One of the first things that needs to be setup is a WIKI right now documentation is all over the place.

If a new user comes on board and wants to setup some tuners by reading documentation on their own heaven help them. SagDECT ,Primeencoder ,fire wire and USBUIRT multiple zones are all over the place ... these are just examples..... an Installation WIKI would be a good place to start where documentation can be found in 1 place not in hundreds of pages in a thread.

I guess I am old school but the most important people are the users and making their lives easier is always top priority.

Last edited by nyplayer; 06-13-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

^^^^^This
Network: gB Lan
Playback: FireStick 4K miniclient
Tech Level: Hobbyist
Old 06-13-2015, 12:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

NYPlayer is totally right, in my opinion.

I remember, as a non-technical new user back in the day (2010), being overwhelmed by the complexity of doing a new SageTV installation and getting it to work with tuners. I persisted because I could see the potential and was very glad I did. I could not have done it without a lot of hand-holding by the forum.

Here is a post I did at the time urging that a comprehensive Sage FAQ be established (I didn't know about Wiki's back then) :

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...982#post462982

It's not sustainable (or fair) for the subject matter experts on this forum to have to repetitively walk newcomers through their set-up, although I find it uplifting that there are plenty of people here willing to do that.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoJohn View Post
NYPlayer is totally right, in my opinion.

I remember, as a non-technical new user back in the day (2010), being overwhelmed by the complexity of doing a new SageTV installation and getting it to work with tuners. I persisted because I could see the potential and was very glad I did. I could not have done it without a lot of hand-holding by the forum.
It's not sustainable (or fair) for the subject matter experts on this forum to have to repetitively walk newcomers through their set-up, although I find it uplifting that there are plenty of people here willing to do that.
Hear! Hear!
Old 06-13-2015, 02:08 PM
SageTVaholic

As always, nothing's stopping anyone from doing it, if you want a wiki you can always make one, but it's going to take someone motivated to do it.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:39 PM
Sage User

So phyched!!!

I was just looking for an alternate to Sage given that I figured it wouldn't work with Windows 10. I typed in "Sagetv open source" looking for an alternate and came across this thread. Now hopefully, I don't need to worry about it!

Hopefully the EPG can keep going...
Old 06-13-2015, 08:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Stanger89:

Fair enough. What's stopping me is lack of knowledge about how to set up a wiki. However, maybe there are ways for the technically challenged such as me to help promote this cause.

I missed this earlier post by MatterOf Record who makes a good suggestion:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...iki#post570655

I'll gladly donate to a KickStarter fund to support a SageTV Wiki.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoJohn View Post
I'll gladly donate to a KickStarter fund to support a SageTV Wiki.
Me, too.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:40 AM
Sage Expert

Assuming that this forum and the Sagetv.com / sage.tv domains will remain, a Wiki could be added to this forum software. There are a few plugins available for vBulletin.

But if it is to be separated then there is not a ton of cost involved. I have a new dedicated server going online in a couple of days that has a fair bit of capacity. We would just need to secure a domain. So if any of you would want to help support the costs of buying the domain and some hosting, I am more than willing to setup a Wiki on my server.

BUT, having it integrated with vBulletin, meaning the user logins would all just work, would be ideal. And that would be up to Jeff and Andy.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks, Samgrego, for stepping up!

It's great to know that you can, if necessary, provide a home for a wiki. However, I think your suggestion that it's technically feasible to host a wiki on the SageTV site itself is an inspired one. That would be the ideal location.

The community is already massively indebted to Jeff for his successful efforts to make Sage open source. Having worked in massive organizations myself I feel sure that he had to expend a great deal of effort and personal capital to get a sign off from Google for this humanitarian act and for that we are all very grateful. I'm sure it would mean substantially more work for him to get sign off for incorporating a wiki on this site.

I don't know if it's reasonable to ask him to again put himself on the line for us, being so much in his debt already, but Jeff has shown his humanitarian colors. Perhaps if there is enough community support for a Sage Wiki he would be willing to "go once more into the breach" for us.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:31 PM
Sage User

Since Sage is going open source I'd suggest looking into using something like Confluence, which offers free hosting for open source projects.
See https://www.atlassian.com/software/v...icense-request. They also offer free hosted JIRA bug tracking and task management as well.

I have no specific stake in Confluence, just a fan of their work.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

+1 github

Very social platform that draws in large communities
"Recordings": "2TB SATA",
"Imports": "2x 4TB USB",
"Clients": ["HD300", "HD200", "SageTVClient"]}
Old 06-19-2015, 11:40 AM
Sage

It will be hosted on GitHub.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Linux Server

Wow, I was about to do another annual search for suitable SageTV replacements. I just learned about the open source development on the unRAID forums. Yay!

I'd love to see the Linux Server again. SageTV server is the only reason I'm still running a Windows VM on my unRAID server. I can help get the server running on Linux again. I'll probably also create a Docker image for it.

P.S. It's a testament to the team that years later we're still all running SageTV. Aside from locking to Java 7, everything still works great. Admittedly this is a niche area, but with WMC gone the field is even more open.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Android Client + Shield

Here's another crazy idea... If the Raspberry Pi is a bit underpowered, I bet the NVIDIA Shield wouldn't be. http://shield.nvidia.com/

I work for NVIDIA, on the streaming gaming part of the Shield. It already has a Plex app, and maybe I could help facilitate a SageTV app. e.g. Get a device donated to a SageTV dev.

At first I was going to propose that we start up a "reference design for extender hardware", but it seems better to use off-the-shelf hardware and focus on the software to utilize it.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:06 PM
Sage Expert

I like the shield idea, especially because it really just means design an great/full android sage client.

Doesn't it?

Thanks
Clients: Wired: HD300, HD200, HD200 running Squeeze Slave, Placeshifters, HD200 (via wireless N bridge)
Old 06-23-2015, 02:22 PM

Never left Sage

I am so glad to see that Sage is making a comeback. I have been using V6 on a Windows Home Server V1 I keep limping along. It is used daily and has "just" worked every day. My wife loves it and I was dreading finding a replacement and then teaching her how to use it. I just read a story on the Nvidia Shield and was just thinking it would make a great extender for Sage. I would like to tip the hat to Jeff, for bringing Sage Tv out and then getting Google to open source it. I look forward to what Sage will be able to do in the future.

My request for Sage, would be cable card integration, and newer extenders.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:36 PM
SageTVaholic

I like the Shield in concept but isn't it $200 and includes a gaming controller that is unnecessary for use as a streaming box? IMHO something around the $100 price point is what we need.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:22 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppit View Post
Wow, I was about to do another annual search for suitable SageTV replacements. I just learned about the open source development on the unRAID forums. Yay!

I'd love to see the Linux Server again. SageTV server is the only reason I'm still running a Windows VM on my unRAID server. I can help get the server running on Linux again. I'll probably also create a Docker image for it.

P.S. It's a testament to the team that years later we're still all running SageTV. Aside from locking to Java 7, everything still works great. Admittedly this is a niche area, but with WMC gone the field is even more open.
Glad to see you figured it out in spite of my butchered post over on unRAID - "opening sourcing" - I should never try to write a post in the morning before finishing my first cup of coffee.

Docker would be an excellent way to setup SageTV on unRAID (as long as you have just network turners). Tuner cards would need a vm instead so they could be passed through. But it will be nice to have a Linux version to work with.

I just hope my extenders will hold up long enough to see a new client come to life.

Tags
open source