SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

View Poll Results: What is your Dream SageTV Client
The HD300 extender client is perfect for my needs 24 17.39%
HD300 extedender for 2015+ (4K, h265, Altmos, Hi10p) 83 60.14%
Linux/Windows PC NUC 19 13.77%
Kodi x86 Windows or Linux client 9 6.52%
Android Kodi client 7 5.07%
Android SageTV client 44 31.88%
Speciality device (FireTV, Apple, Roku, game console) 45 32.61%
Plex/UPnP client on any device is fine 14 10.14%
Also support DRM streaming (eg Netflix, Hulu, Spotify) 56 40.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Sage Icon

For those of you happy with HD300s, see this:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62052

Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
For those of you happy with HD300s, see this:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62052

Ooh, I missed the last batch.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:39 AM
SageTVaholic

OK, the PI2 just jumped way up my list, apparently OpenELEC (Kodi) can now decode TrueHD and DTS-HD MA on the Pi:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=211501&page=87

I don't really care if it's bitstream or decoded as long as it's full quality lossless.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:08 AM
SageTVaholic

after taking a HD200 on a recent test-hotel trip, there needs to be a small extender, travel size, with just HDMI and composite outs, built-in wifi and an app so you could use your smart phone as the remote control.
Plex and PlayOn would be nice as well, and rounded corners so you can grab it out of a small bag without nicking the flesh.
Love that you can use the old 200 and 300's on the road.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 04-05-2015, 02:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
after taking a HD200 on a recent test-hotel trip, there needs to be a small extender, travel size, with just HDMI and composite outs, built-in wifi and an app so you could use your smart phone as the remote control.
Plex and PlayOn would be nice as well, and rounded corners so you can grab it out of a small bag without nicking the flesh.
Love that you can use the old 200 and 300's on the road.
So you mean an android phone with an HDMI port and Plex? I use it all the time - it's great!

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 04-05-2015, 02:45 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
So you mean an android phone with an HDMI port and Plex? I use it all the time - it's great!
Phone doesn't have a composite out. You'd do better to track down an HD-300, with the dongle cable ...
Old 04-05-2015, 03:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
don't think mine has hdmi or composite, but it does have wifi and plex. 1/2 way there!

seriously, something the size of Roku 3 would work
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 04-05-2015, 05:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
don't think mine has hdmi or composite, but it does have wifi and plex. 1/2 way there!

HDMI is a requirement on any phone I buy anymore. It's the perfect travel media device. (Many newer devices will likely come with an MHL capable USB port instead of a discrete HDMI though)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.

Last edited by Fuzzy; 04-05-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
HDMI is a requirement on any phone I buy anymore. It's the perfect travel media device. (Many newer devices will likely come with an MHL capable USB port instead of a discrete HDMI though)
thanks, I'll check that out, maybe it actually is active. could you feed a 720p wall mounted TV?
Old 04-06-2015, 01:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
thanks, I'll check that out, maybe it actually is active. could you feed a 720p wall mounted TV?
output resolution likely depends on the device. It simply mirrors the screen. My Droid Razr HD's main screen is 1280x720, so it simply outputs that resolution. Many newer phones have 1920x1080 screens, so I'm sure that's what they output. Either way, any TV with an HDMI port will handle either source fine.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:03 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
...and an app so you could use your smart phone as the remote control.
Do you use the mobile webserver plugin? The interface is available from a web browser, or from within the Phoenix (Android) app. It provides a remote for extenders already.

Quote:
...and rounded corners so you can grab it out of a small bag without nicking the flesh.
You say, from experience, as you look at the band-aid on your hand...
Buy a pack of those small, felt/fuzzy bumper pads with the sticky backs and apply to each of the 8 corners.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

Miracast: $60
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en...isplay-adapter

I typically use my Windows laptop with mine but even my old Android phones and Tablets seems to be able to broadcast to the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter. It is a great travel solution and can be used with projectors\HDTV for presentations in meetings as well. (Justification if you have an expense account)

Really just mirrors your screen so anything that you have on your PC or Phone can be streamed to the TV.

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Any opinion on theses two MHL connection methods? The built-in cables on one are convenient. I couldn't find one that charges the phone while in use, including the Samsung accessory meant to be used with my Galaxy S4. If you know of one that charges simultaneously (Samsung claims theirs does, but user reviews claim it doesn't), please post a link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1AMUYYA3CT6HJ

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3P4UZIS42PRQV
Old 04-07-2015, 05:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Any opinion on theses two MHL connection methods? The built-in cables on one are convenient. I couldn't find one that charges the phone while in use, including the Samsung accessory meant to be used with my Galaxy S4. If you know of one that charges simultaneously (Samsung claims theirs does, but user reviews claim it doesn't), please post a link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1AMUYYA3CT6HJ

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3P4UZIS42PRQV
I honestly don't know anything about MHL other than it's base capabilities. I've used almost exclusively Motorola phones for the last 8 years, which have mostly just had discrete mini-hdmi ports on them. MHL is designed so that the port can output the signal and bring in power at the same time, with the intention being it actually be charged directly by the port on the TV - but with all publicly available 'standards', its up the the device manufacturers to actually implement it correctly for it to work. Which phone you have may impact what it is ACTUALLY capable of.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Not fond of MHL personally. It was always hit or miss whether the Android device was going to like the MHL adapter selected. Of course, you could always buy the proprietary MHL for 50 to 100 bux.

The Samsung MHL adapter (white) that I purchased does charge the phone - the real problem is that using it with some devices requires the screen of the phone to be on, which can negate the charging feature. I purchased this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by KryptoNyte; 04-07-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm a big fan of both WiDi and Miracast. My Pust2TV that I got for $35 has come in very handy.

Martin
Old 04-07-2015, 10:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Not fond of MHL personally. It was always hit or miss whether the Android device was going to like the MHL adapter selected. Of course, you could always buy the proprietary MHL for 50 to 100 bux.

The Samsung MHL adapter (white) that I purchased does charge the phone - the real problem is that using it with some devices requires the screen of the phone to be on, which can negate the charging feature. I purchased this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
which phone do you use it with, and why would the screen being on defeat charging? My Galaxy S4 charges with the screen on I think.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
which phone do you use it with, and why would the screen being on defeat charging? My Galaxy S4 charges with the screen on I think.
I think he meant the charging doesn't keep up with the screen on AND decoding a video. When using the MHL adapter, it's limited to a single pin on the USB for charging, which limits the charging rate.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I think he meant the charging doesn't keep up with the screen on AND decoding a video. When using the MHL adapter, it's limited to a single pin on the USB for charging, which limits the charging rate.
So I grabbed one of those MHL adapters, Cable Matters, and you may know if this sounds right: it outputs HDMI just fine from the Galaxy S4 to my HDMI tv inputs, however, AC power has to be plugged into the Cable Matters adapter at the same time. Unplug the power cable, and the HDMI output to the TV cuts out.
The phones battery power alone isn't enough to supply a solid HDMI signal?
Old 04-15-2015, 06:18 PM
SageTVaholic

The MHL adapter that I linked to will function (with my Pioneer AppRadio2 and Galaxy S4) with or without the power feed. (Note: with the authentic Samsung MHL adapter, not a knock-off that seems to have surfaced in that link).

Fuzzy interpreted correctly for the most part - if I'm in the car navigating, and the phone screen is on full time, the charging via MHL just isn't enough to even hold the original charge over time.

Much of my perceived failure of the MHL adapter lies in the complete failure of Pioneer to release a proper software for what could have been a great car head unit.