SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

View Poll Results: What is your Dream SageTV Client
The HD300 extender client is perfect for my needs 24 17.39%
HD300 extedender for 2015+ (4K, h265, Altmos, Hi10p) 83 60.14%
Linux/Windows PC NUC 19 13.77%
Kodi x86 Windows or Linux client 9 6.52%
Android Kodi client 7 5.07%
Android SageTV client 44 31.88%
Speciality device (FireTV, Apple, Roku, game console) 45 32.61%
Plex/UPnP client on any device is fine 14 10.14%
Also support DRM streaming (eg Netflix, Hulu, Spotify) 56 40.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2015, 04:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

What are your SageTV client needs

I am interested in helping with the SageTV client if enough backend guys get on board, but the world of clients has changed a lot since the Google purchase. When you are talking clients/extenders what do you mean? This will d help me determine if there is still one product that will work for most of you now or if things have become too fragmented with all the options that we have now.

If you'd like to reply with the price limit and extra functionality, ie auto framerate, HD Audio, SPDIF, that will help

Add a vote for the streaming options if applicable.

Thanks

Martin

Last edited by emveepee; 03-16-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:56 PM
Sage User

I forgot to also check the Kodi option, I need something that will play movies that I have already ripped. That plus an updated version of the old SageTV would be awesome!
Old 03-16-2015, 04:57 PM

You forgot one Auto Resolution Switching or Native Resolution Switching

Last edited by SHS; 03-16-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Small and silent.

Appliance type device. Minimal setup.

Recognizes all of my SageTV recordings and the associated metadata automatically.

Decent music interface. (Although I'm now so spoiled by my Sonos I don't think I'd ever play music on my TV again.)

Netflix capable.

YouTube capable.

1080p playback.

Can play high bitrate BluRay.

No special audio requirements.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:25 PM
Sage Expert

I am not completely wedded to the Amazon FireTV, but I am using it as an example. If we can get an app for the Amazon FireTV that can have full extender capabilities. We need every feature the regular extender can do, so just not being able to see recorded tv shows, but also being able to have access to guide and watch live tv. I would also say videos and plugins like MyMovies.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 03-16-2015, 09:02 PM
Sage Icon

While option 1 is the honest truth for the foreseeable future in my house, I voted for option 2 purely because I believe in future proofing.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have to say that I really liked SPMC on my FireTV with the Amber skin. Mostly because I could launch the online services (Netflix, Hulu, etc) from inside SPMC, as well as access my local libraries and live TV (Npvr). All with a simple remote. But since Sage is still the prevalent entertainment system in my home, I would love to see a true SageTV plugin for Kodi (like Npvr, MythTV, MP, etc..) that can run on as many hardware platforms as possible, Yeah, there would still be interlacing issues using the fireTV, but there may be other fixes for that given time. The software deinterlacing is probably good enough for secondary TV's (bedroom, kitches, garage, etc..).

Bobby

Last edited by BobbyDing; 03-16-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Cheap, and heavily available - meaning Raspberry Pi... Excellent capabilities for the price, HDMI-CEC support, etc.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-17-2015, 06:17 AM
Sage User

I'm a little torn on this one. I'd really like to have an updated HD300 that just works and can handle deinterlacing properly and high bitrate audio, but I'd also really like to have something more integrated with some of the streaming services like Prime, Netflix, etc. So I think an android client with full capabilities would be nice since that could also be side loaded to a firetv. So I had to vote for both
Old 03-17-2015, 06:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Also need to specifiy the location for said client. I would be perfectly fine with a RPi in my bedroom, kids play room, RV, and probably my SUV - but for my main living room PC, I'd like a bit more, and will likely stick to a full PC client - if nothing else, it's nice to have Arcsoft TMT5 for full BluRay support, and Steam on there as well.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:26 AM
SageTVaholic

In all cases, I don't want just a device that can browse and play back my sagetv recordings and library. It needs to be a proper extender, with the full Sage STV UI.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:09 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
In all cases, I don't want just a device that can browse and play back my sagetv recordings and library. It needs to be a proper extender, with the full Sage STV UI.
Yes! This is why the extenders and the native Sage ecosystem work so well. Any hacks to make the backend work with Kodi is fine for the short term, but shouldn't be our long term goal. My kids have used Sage most of their lives. It works as well as any modern PVR, if not better.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:12 AM
Sage Icon

I really don't think you could find a consistent hardware platform that could run a stand alone SageTV client like the SageTV extenders. By the time you got something working they would have a new model and you would have to support it. Or they could stop making it and the you are SOL. The Pi is the only thing I could see as working as a long term client but really it is kind of slow... and you would never get Nexflix and Amazon running on it consistently.

I think focusing on clients for the cheap existing platforms like FireTV, Roku, Google TV etc is the way to go. Plus then you could concentrate on a great DVR experience and leave the Online DRM mess to others external apps.

I would really just like to get the TV menu experience of Gemstone. (with the integration of imported TV into the recorded library)
To me Movies, Music and online options are not really necessary anymore. I would probably rather just use Kodi or Plex for those.
Almost all the cheap extenders have apps for the major Online vendors and running as a DVR app off those seems like the easiest thing to support over time.

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.

Last edited by SWKerr; 03-17-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:17 PM
Sage Icon

My dream would be an HD300 with full 3D support (MKV with MVC) plus Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu streaming.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:26 PM
Sage Icon

For me the following are essential:
  1. Needs to "just work" with minimal fuss.
  2. Needs to play back at high quality for video and audio (full HD resolution, without pixellation, lag, stuttering, de-interlacing artifacts, etc.).
  3. Needs to integrate fully with the Sage Server (so I can access the guide data, manage the recording schedule, keep track of watched status, etc.)
  4. Needs to support "live" tv.
  5. Ideally, it should support the same UI as Sage
So the HD300 extender covers the above (HD200 comes close). If I was going to improve on that I would want:
  • Support for streaming DRM'd sources (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)
  • Support for newer video and formats (4k, 3D, H.265)
  • Improved HDMI hardware (HD300 was a little finicky about cable length)
  • Improved cooling (HD300 ran hot).
  • Low Cost
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 03-17-2015, 01:37 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
I guess the real question is whether Jeff thinks we can continue a relationship with Sigma, or just start looking elsewhere. ie. Is the HD300 dead?
Old 03-17-2015, 01:49 PM
Sage User

I wonder what would be involved in porting it to a later sigma model. May come with added benefits. Would it require lots of c code?
As mentioned better cooling , 4k , newer formats, additional memory would be nice to have.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:47 PM
SageTVaholic

In an ideal world, I'd love to see a device that does Sage+Plex+Netflix+Amazon+HBO. The only say that's remotely feasible is if we could get Sage working on something like a Roku, Fire TV or Android TV. Unfortunately, the lack of mpeg2 support on those devices makes a decent Sage client unlikely. On-the-fly transcoding in Plex is probably as good as it gets, and I'd find that pretty frustrating.

The idea of some new HD300 makes me nervous. Even if someone did create one, would we have a reliable supply? At times it was hard enough for Sage to keep them in stock. Are there off-the-shelf options that could plausibly run Sage apps that would be more readily available? PCH streamers aren't always easy to get, and are kind of expensive. The upcoming Open Hour Chameleon looks potentially promising, but apparently struggles with mpeg2 (it might be doing software decoding).

Realistically, I'd probably be happy with custom images for Chromeboxes, which I assume would be a bit more full-featured than RPi2 streamers. I have one set up as a Plex client and it seems to provide acceptable, albeit not great, video quality.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:38 PM
Sage Icon

If someone can for the schematic design, I have access to high end PCB design tools, and know how to layout a PCB.

RF stuff would be a bit beyond me, but a WiFi/Bluetooth module would be easy.

As for supplies when designed, as long a large order (???) can be made, any CEM would be happy to build them. Smaller orders would cost more per unit. We could always just get the PCB, and get the case printed?!?!?

I was on the sigma site, and they are advertizing Linux/Android compatible.
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 03-17-2015, 03:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Dream machine would be to add bluetooth smart, zigabee/thread, zwave control but otherwise +1 to Tiki's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
For me the following are essential:
  1. Needs to "just work" with minimal fuss.
  2. Needs to play back at high quality for video and audio (full HD resolution, without pixellation, lag, stuttering, de-interlacing artifacts, etc.).
  3. Needs to integrate fully with the Sage Server (so I can access the guide data, manage the recording schedule, keep track of watched status, etc.)
  4. Needs to support "live" tv.
  5. Ideally, it should support the same UI as Sage
So the HD300 extender covers the above (HD200 comes close). If I was going to improve on that I would want:
  • Support for streaming DRM'd sources (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)
  • Support for newer video and formats (4k, 3D, H.265)
  • Improved HDMI hardware (HD300 was a little finicky about cable length)
  • Improved cooling (HD300 ran hot).
  • Low Cost