SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Another thing I would like to have is the ability to Sync media files be types. I have lots of video files (a few thousand) but I have TONS of music files and photos (tens of thousands). When I go to do a sync it takes roughly 5 minutes.

I have installed only video files on another Sage server and when I only sync video files it takes seconds.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Another thing I would like to have is the ability to Sync media files be types. I have lots of video files (a few thousand) but I have TONS of music files and photos (tens of thousands). When I go to do a sync it takes roughly 5 minutes.

I have installed only video files on another Sage server and when I only sync video files it takes seconds.
+1. "Refresh photos", "refresh music", "refresh videos/recordings", or "refresh all media". That would be excellent.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:13 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by matterofrecord View Post
8< snip
[*]Slow Motion forward and reverse for sports programs (frame by frame would be good).

snip>8
It won't do slo-mo rewind, but I do a pseudo slo-mo forward all the time. Just hit pause and then keep hitting pause to advance a bit at a time. I don't know if it is actually frame by frame, but it does a pretty decent job for those "was he in or out of bounds when he caught the ball" moments.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

What I would love to see is make the Placeshifter mplayer be multithread friendly, so we can playback H264 content fine (without transcoding). Or make it use local filters for playback so we could get HW acceleration video playback

Just my 2 cents

Old 04-01-2015, 08:45 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
It won't do slo-mo rewind, but I do a pseudo slo-mo forward all the time. Just hit pause and then keep hitting pause to advance a bit at a time. I don't know if it is actually frame by frame, but it does a pretty decent job for those "was he in or out of bounds when he caught the ball" moments.
Or on an extender remote, just hold down the pause button...
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have very modest day one goals. I'd like to add
  • Forced Subtitles in MKVs
  • HTTPS plugin download support

Day two starts the real work
Old 04-02-2015, 09:04 AM
SageTVaholic

My opinion of "day 1" is to get it all to compile and install. I think that will be a bit of work in itself.

We need basic things such as:
- A place to host the source in a source control system.
- A development and build environment.
- A place to host the install download.
- A bug tracking system.
- A "release control" system.
- Probably more things that I forgot....

Day 2 we start making changes to the code and producing updates.

When I say "we" I don't even know who I am talking about My vision is there will be one main project (hopefully supported by the forum regulars) and then lots of other smaller projects (supported by people who have specific needs or don't like what the main project is doing.) Who knows?

When Google releases the source code all we will have is a pile of code with zero infrastructure to do anything with it. I am hoping Narflex will also release any and all makefiles and build scripts but again, we don't know that right now.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post

When I say "we" I don't even know who I am talking about ...
I have created excel spreadsheet formulas at least twice, I'm ready when you are.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
My opinion of "day 1" is to get it all to compile and install. I think that will be a bit of work in itself.

We need basic things such as:
- A place to host the source in a source control system.
- A development and build environment.
- A place to host the install download.
- A bug tracking system.
- A "release control" system.
- Probably more things that I forgot....

Day 2 we start making changes to the code and producing updates.

When I say "we" I don't even know who I am talking about My vision is there will be one main project (hopefully supported by the forum regulars) and then lots of other smaller projects (supported by people who have specific needs or don't like what the main project is doing.) Who knows?

When Google releases the source code all we will have is a pile of code with zero infrastructure to do anything with it. I am hoping Narflex will also release any and all makefiles and build scripts but again, we don't know that right now.
You're right it will be a bit of work. I'm guessing Narflex will put the code on Github. If so, Github could be used to host downloads (linked from a user friendly project web site), track bugs, and accept contributions (pull requests) from developers.

You're also right about zero infrastructure. Build environments will be important and I'm not sure how collaborative open source projects typically manage that. It would be great to have a centralized location to create official builds for all platforms. Up until now, plugin developers created builds from their own computers.

I would be surprised if Narflex didn't include Visual Studio projects (for native Windows libraries), makefiles (for native Linux binaries), and Ant or Maven scripts for the Java code. There was a brief discussion about this on one of these open source threads.

I think it will also be important to have a polished web site with product information, tutorials, howtos, etc. I may just be speaking for myself (but I doubt it) but this will need to be created and maintained by folks other than developers (being a developer myself).
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:38 AM
Sage User

My 1st priority:
Enable Sage supporting PBDA drivers.
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58548
Old 04-26-2015, 05:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

My three would be:
  • fix the Mac Placeshifter to play back video using a modern playback mechanism so that it doesn't suck
  • add an API for querying and setting the position in a video that has been watched so that I can use another viewer (like Plex) and be able to continue watching on Sage somewhere else in the house
  • have Sage put the recordings into directories per show so that it is easier to use something like Plex as a viewer on more platforms. Oh I guess this would also mean that it would need to

Greg

Last edited by gveres; 04-26-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gveres View Post
My three would be:
  • fix the Mac Placeshifter to play back video using a modern playback mechanism so that it doesn't suck
  • add an API for querying and setting the position in a video that has been watched so that I can use another viewer (like Plex) and be able to continue watching on Sage somewhere else in the house
  • have Sage put the recordings into directories per show so that it is easier to use something like Plex as a viewer on more platforms. Oh I guess this would also mean that it would need to

Greg
For #2, I'm pretty sure you can already read and write the watched times of an airing:

http://download.sage.tv/api/sage/api/AiringAPI.html

Have a look at GetWatchedDuration, GetWatchedEndTime, GetWatchedStartTime, and SetWatchedTimes.

Based on those api calls, it should already be possible for another source (i.e. Plex) to read and write this data back to Sage. In theory, Plex could read this data to implement the "start watching on Sage in the living room and finish watching on your tablet from where you left off". And vice versa: Watch a recording in Plex and Plex reports back to Sage what you watched; Sage then picks up where you left off. From what I've read about the Plex plugin here in the past is that the hard part is getting Plex to talk to Sage's API -- just not all that easy, which is why the Plex plugin never even managed to sync watched status, much less this kind of data. But it doesn't seem to be Sage preventing this kind of thing from happening.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 04-27-2015, 12:15 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo44 View Post
My 1st priority:
1+
Server - Lenovo K320 with WindowsHomeServer2011, 10 Terabyte HD's on stablebit drivepool, (1 x DuoFlex CT Octopus PCIe DVB-C 4 Tuner all with LM-DVB-SmartRecorder, dbox2, run SageTV as Service, DeskNow Mail and Collaboration server, 2 Terabyte NAS (Ximeta) as seconf backup, 1Gb/s MSI ePower HD Network, 3xHD100, 1xHD200, 1xHD300, Panasonic LCD 55" TV, Sharp LCD TV, JVC LCD TV, Touchscreen LCD, PlaceShifter
cu at http://www.dbuschek.de
Old 04-27-2015, 01:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIBU View Post
Quote:
My 1st priority:
1+
Is there a utility with those cards than can, from a command line, tune a channel and record it to a file?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 04-27-2015, 02:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
My 1st priority:
Could you help me understand how SageTV would interact with DVBlink?
Old 04-27-2015, 06:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
My 1st priority:
What I'd like to see is the ability to add capture driver support via some plugin structure. That way as new capture devices come on the market a developer can write a plugin and the Sage core will not need any updates at all.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
What I'd like to see is the ability to add capture driver support via some plugin structure. That way as new capture devices come on the market a developer can write a plugin and the Sage core will not need any updates at all.
You mean like the network encoder system that's been in sage for most of its existence?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
You mean like the network encoder system that's been in sage for most of its existence?
Yes, but not using the network encoder system which is inefficient for capture devices connected to a local machine

Old 04-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Sage User

I would like to see Live TV artwork and metadata integration from Schedules Direct, TVDB and TMDB. Also later on plugin/support for Emby (former Media Browser), which has a nice interface to handle this data. WMC is becoming obsolete and I think many would benefit from a larger support in these area. This is just my opinion.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes, but not using the network encoder system which is inefficient for capture devices connected to a local machine
It's actually not inefficient at all. It does not send the stream over the network. All that goes over the network are some commands (START 125 \\SageTV\Recordings\ThisShowIsOnChannel125-123456.mpg), and the encoder is responsible for recording channel 125 to that file. I would actually like all future tuners to use the network encoder interface (though it would have to be expanded to include asking for channel lists, and initiating scans and such), as that would leverage the modulatity the network encoders use, while allowing for easy development of future sources as well.