SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Anyone try to attach remote debugger to server?

Trying to debug my epg plugin, I figured, "hey why not just attach the debugger to the jvm?"

First, the Sage.jar built using the shell scripts and packaged up doesn't include debug symbols. The build using gradle does. So got the jar from gradle build in.

But even after that, the break points I set in the EPG thread (and others I tried as a test) were not being honoured at all. I know the code I tried to break on was running because the log statements in sagetv_0.txt show up. Some other random break points were being honoured, but I couldn't figure out why some were working and others weren't.

I did install Eclipse Mars on this vm so figuring that might be a little too bleeding edge, I also tried IDEA and same thing.

Anyone else tried this? Jeff, any tips for attaching the debugger to the server jvm? I'm running on 32bit ubuntu (vm).

In the end, I just had to mod the logging in the EPG thread as needed, which gets the job done, but being able to attach a debugger would be 1000x better.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 09-02-2015, 10:55 PM
Sage Icon

I haven't done that, but I have created a couple of targets for the build.gradle that launch and debug SageTV from IntelliJ. I haven't tried Eclipse but it may work there too.

I added this and then imported the build.gradle into IntelliJ - you may need to double check the jogl jar file name, I may have changed that. In the Gradle Tool Window, right click on the target and choose debug. It's not integrated with IntelliJ's build system, so you'll need to build it from either the Gradle or shell script.

Sean's going to clean this up sometime and merge it.

Code:
// Run configurations
task runMiniClient(type:JavaExec) {
    main = "sage.miniclient.MiniClient"
    //classpath = sourceSets.main.runtimeClasspath
    classpath += files(
//        sageJarDestinationDir + sageJarName,
        "build/clientrelease/MiniClient.jar",
        "build/clientrelease/gluegen-rt.jar",
        "build/clientrelease/jogl-all.jar"
    )
    classpath += files('images/MiniClient')
    environment 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH', file('/home/sagetv/Development/sagetv/build/clientrelease')
    workingDir file('/home/sagetv/Development/sagetv/build/clientrelease')
}

task runLinuxServer(type:JavaExec) {
    args '0', '0', 'x', 'sagetv Sage.properties'
    main = "sage.Sage"
    classpath = sourceSets.main.runtimeClasspath
    classpath += files(sageJarDestinationDir + sageJarName)
//    systemProperty 'java.library.path', file('/home/sagetv/Development/sagetv/build/so')
//    systemProperty 'java.library.path', file('build/so')
    systemProperty 'java.awt.headless', true
//    environment 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH', file('/home/sagetv/Development/sagetv/build/so')
//    environment 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH', file('build/so')
    environment 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH', file('/home/sagetv/Development/sagetv/build/serverrelease')
    workingDir file('/home/sagetv/Development/sagetv/build/serverrelease')
}
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:07 PM
Sage

All I do for debugging is have this in my 'sagesettings' file on Linux:

JAVAOPTS="-Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=50000,server=y,suspend=n"

And then I can debug directly from NetBeans after doing an attach to the process.

And I didn't realize the scripts were stripping out debug symbols..feel free to change them so they aren't...I thought javac still always included them by default as I haven't had to change a compiler setting in a long time to get them to show up.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Stripped was a bad word. javac doesn't include local var details by default, just line numbers and file info. Need the extra -gsource,lines,vars to get that extra local var info, which gradle does by default.

Yeah, I did the same thing to attach the debugger to the server. Eclipse and IDEA didn't like my break points (some breaks it did stop, most it didn't). Guess I will install NetBeans next time I try.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...