SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:24 AM
Sage User

Angry live tv freeze at end of show HELP!!!

I have been using SageTv since 2007. I recently upgraded to V9 and have a problem with live tv shows freezing when a show ends and another begins.

The time bar at the bottom of the screen keeps going, even though the picture and sound have frozen. I have to stop playback, go into the guide and choose the program to start watching again.

I've changed the seeker fastmux to false and also changed the videoframe safe switch to false, same problem.

Windows 8.1
Core I3 processor
Radeon R7 240 video card
USB 8275 device for ATSC channels
Hauppauge HDPVR for satellite channels.

Basically the same setup as with V7. I have uninstalled/reinstalled V9, performed a complete OS rebuild.

This happens with OTA digital channels using the USB tuner as well as the satellite channels which are directv using the HDPVR.

It's got me stumped.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

See if the suggestions in this thread resolve the problem. Good luck
Old 11-26-2016, 06:23 PM
Sage User

Tried seeker fast mux true and false

Tried videoframe safe both true and false.

Still having the same problem.

mpeg 2 decoder is Microsoft DTV DVD decoder

H.264 decoder is same as mpeg 2 decoder

audio decoders are both AC3 Filter.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:14 PM
Sage

Can you post the SageTV log file from when you reproduce the problem? Also post your Sage.properties file.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:34 PM
Sage User

Properties and debug log attached.

Had a show playing until 12:05 the next show started on the same channel. Sound and picture froze at 12:05 though seeker bar at bottom of screen showed playback was happening.
Thanks everyone for helping.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Sageproperties.txt (77.0 KB, 189 views)
File Type: zip sagetv_0.zip (96.6 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by belleaudb; 11-29-2016 at 01:52 PM. Reason: add msg
Old 11-29-2016, 09:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Check and make sure the time on the client matches the time on the server. I've had that cause a freeze between live shows on he same channel.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:56 PM
Sage

He's using a local client with the service, so it won't be a clock issue like that.

And now that I know that from the log...I also need the sagetvclient_0.txt file from when you reproduce it please. So repost a new sagetv_0.txt and a sagetvclient_0.txt file (or just post the sagetvclient_x.txt file that corresponds to the posted sagetv_0.txt file)
Old 11-30-2016, 02:18 PM
Sage User

Attached are both logs as requested.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sage logs.zip (139.8 KB, 113 views)
Old 12-01-2016, 11:50 AM
Sage

I'm very confused...because in that log file, I can see it playing back the first show...it detects the end of it properly and then switches to playing back the next show and the timeline progresses on it and everything. It looks like it is working properly.

At 12:01 the new show started, the client transitioned seconds after this and then playback was stopped by the user at 12:12:55 with the current playback time being 12:12:46 (in the new show that started at 12:01).
Old 12-01-2016, 02:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
I'm very confused...because in that log file, I can see it playing back the first show...it detects the end of it properly and then switches to playing back the next show and the timeline progresses on it and everything. It looks like it is working properly.

At 12:01 the new show started, the client transitioned seconds after this and then playback was stopped by the user at 12:12:55 with the current playback time being 12:12:46 (in the new show that started at 12:01).
I've had this happen several times, but I put it down to my system/video card having an issue, freezing and not displaying the new program. Quite often with back-to-back recordings this happens, and the recordings seem fine. Is he having this problem viewing thru media extenders?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 12-01-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:25 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
I've had this happen several times, but I put it down to my system/video card having an issue, freezing and not displaying the new program. Quite often with back-to-back recordings this happens, and the recordings seem fine. Is he having this problem viewing thru media extenders?
Yes this is the problem I am having. Audio stops, picture freezes. I can stop playback or go to the guide and choose the show and can play back to the start of the show.

Note that I've done a complete OS rebuild, reinstalled Sage, and still have the same issue. Switched from a GeForce 750TI to a Radeon R7 240 card.

I've even installed a new 500 watt power supply in the computer.

The problem does not happen with an extender.

I'm about to try upgrading to windows 10.

Last edited by belleaudb; 12-01-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleaudb View Post
Yes this is the problem I am having. Audio stops, picture freezes. I can stop playback or go to the guide and choose the show and can play back to the start of the show.

Note that I've done a complete OS rebuild, reinstalled Sage, and still have the same issue. Switched from a GeForce 750TI to a Radeon R7 240 card.

I've even installed a new 500 watt power supply in the computer.

The problem does not happen with an extender.

I'm about to try upgrading to windows 10.
yeah, I have way more problems when watching on my server than thru media extenders. FF causes blue screens all the time, resulting in an ATI fault (Gigabyte video on motherboard).
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 12-02-2016, 12:34 PM
Sage

Extenders are far superior to PC based clients...but I'm heavily biased of course.

I took another look at the client log and did see something weird. The Direct3D device gets rebuilt a couple times during startup when you go in/out of full screen mode. This is expected if you're using Full Screen Exclusive Mode, but I'm a little surprised to see it since you're not using that. See if this problem happens when you don't change the window size for SageTV after startup; and also try it with Full Screen Exclusive Mode enabled (in full screen mode) and see if that changes anything. It'd also be worth trying a different video renderer...or even de-selecting the current audio renderer you have (set it to Default).

Also, try turning all the fast switching settings back on and post the logs from that if it doesn't work...when you use those, it doesn't tear down and rebuild the graph in DirectShow, so I'd expect it to hold its state better.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:41 PM
Sage User

Today I did a full build to Win 10 64 bit. Fresh install, not an upgrade.

Installed SageTV
Installed AMD Catalyst driver package
Installed Hauppauge HDPVR drivers
Installed Matroska codec pack.

No plugins. No additional windows software. No DVD software.

Still having the same problem.

I'm stumped. Thinking of starting over and going back to Sage v7.

For now I will set all decoders and renderers to default and see what happens.

Last edited by belleaudb; 12-02-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Something I have always said on these forums regarding HTPC's... Don't ever install a codec pack. Most of them don't JUST install the codecs, but much with the filter priorities as well, just causing confusion you really don't need.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 12-03-2016, 04:56 PM
Sage User

I've set all decoders to default
Set audio renderer to default.

Left screen size at full with FSE.

Same problem.

If I set the video renderer to Overlay or Default, Sage closes as soon as I try to play any recordings or videos.

Any more suggestions?
Old 12-04-2016, 03:09 PM
Sage User

did a full windows 10 rebuild.

Installed sagetv and the HDPVR software. Left all at default. No codec packs or DVD playback software was installed.

Same problem.

I have another hard drive I will install windows 7 on and see if the problem still happens.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:24 PM
SageTVaholic

These are long shots, but have you;

1) Ran memtest86 ISO memory scan?
2) Added a network card?

It seems that the thing that isn't changing here is your hardware.

I'm assuming you've re-downloaded the latest installer, so if there was any installer corruption, it would be resolved.

Just to clarify, you're fighting the playback directly on the server, and not on a client PC?
Old 12-04-2016, 09:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleaudb View Post
did a full windows 10 rebuild.

Installed sagetv and the HDPVR software. Left all at default. No codec packs or DVD playback software was installed.

Same problem.

I have another hard drive I will install windows 7 on and see if the problem still happens.
If your videos are MPEG you will need some decoders on windows 10 as it does not come with any. Many have tried the LAV filters mentioned in the installer link in my signature.

k
Old 12-05-2016, 07:44 AM
Sage User

I think the hauppauge software had MPEG decoders. I was able to play MPEG and other files without issue.

Just the freeze on live tv transition playback. I can playback multiple video segments via playlist and there is no freeze between playlist items.

This is only happening during live tv playback.

I ran the memtest suggested earlier. It took a long time to run. No errors.

The PC is networked via wired ethernet.

I'm getting a used Dell PC to test with next.