SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleaudb View Post
I just wanted to keep everyone up on my issue.

Since going back to V7 a week ago there have been no issues.

Seeing this problem show up for others makes me have the opinion that V9 needs to be withdrawn until the problem is fixed. Hopefully someone will have time and patience to find out what the real problem is and perhaps a new V9 installer can be put together.

For now I will stick with V7, but will watch the forum for information on any developments.
V9 works for MANY users but i understand your frustration but as we all do this open source work as spare time work a solution may not be fast for this specific item.

I have spent many hours already reviewing why some people are having issues and why some libraries are acting different when the code should not be different but have not found any solutions yet.

k
Old 12-27-2016, 11:30 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monedeath View Post
Has anyone tested against a manual upgrade?

Basically just replacing the JAR and STV files only?

I don't think much has changed outside of those in the windows build just yet?
I use this method and have frequent end-of-show freezes. HD PVR capturing HD over component + optical audio.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 12-27-2016, 04:01 PM
Sage User

I will have family away next week for a couple of days so I'm going to fiddle with the installation. I will try substituting the V7 files into V9 and see what happens.

I know it's working for most users and that's great. I'm sure it's a simple issue that just has not been found yet. Possibly some code that is corrupted that is not called on some hardware configurations.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:41 PM
Sage User

I'll pile into this one, too. Having the exact same problem with freezing playback at the end of LiveTV shows.

Not much useful to contribute other than to say I'm affected, too.

Sage7 install, upgraded long ago to v9 by copying the latest jar/exe/etc as they were released.

Running Windows 10, no codec packs (just using the DTV decoders that were left behind after the Win7Pro to Windows 10 upgrade).

Recordings are via HDHomerun on wired gigabit network.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

jusjoken, please let us know if there's any specific info that you need from our systems that would help you troubleshoot this problem.
Client Hardware: HD200 x2, INT-422-3 & WR7 Remote
Service Provider: Cablevision (QAM to 2250, SamsungBox to HDPVR)
Old 12-28-2016, 05:36 PM
Sage User

Add me to this list also.
I started using Sage about 6 months ago and it works great except for this freezing problem. The new program is recording in the background but playback is stuck at the end of the old one.
About the only sure way to clear it is to open the program guide and re-select the channel, then it will begin playback at the beginning of the new recording.

A few things noticed when the program is frozen that may help
-CPU usage jumps up to around 25% - 28%. normal is 3% - 5%.
-Scrolling the program guide is not smooth.
-Sometimes toggling between fullscreen and windowed will clear it.
-If the program is playing live (never been paused or REW) it will sometimes play thru to the next program, otherwise it will almost always freeze.

Yesterday I clean installed V7.1.9 and so far its working well without freezing, but it looks like I have only a 21 day trial on it.

Server; HP Compaq PRO 6300, i5-3470, intel onboard graphics, 8g ram, 500g C: drive, 3tb storage drive. Win7, Win10, (Tried both)

Client is the same with a 500g C: drive only, Win7.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:33 PM
Sage User

After testing for the last few days I haven't been able to resolve the issue. It continues to occur roughly 40% of the time. I've actually figured out how to make it worse. lol. Using the Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder instead of the Default decoder makes the issue worse for me. It happens about 80% of the time using the Microsoft decoder.

I finally broke down and put in my old SSD with my V7 install. It's working perfectly.

I still have my V9 install completely intact + the images I took of V9 before I installed any codecs or plugins. So if anyone comes up with any ideas they'd like me to test just let me know.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:57 PM
Sage

I diffed the V7 folder for that DLL vs. the open source V9 and the only differences were the license headers, source control and the library paths. The library paths now have an x86 dir added onto them because they are using a newer version of the DirectX SDK.

It'd also be good to determine if using VMR vs. EVR has any impact on this and then whether swapping out the STVEVRPrstr.dll and/or the SageTVDX93D.dll and even DShowPlayer.dll from V7 vs. V9 have an impact on the problem.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:17 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
It'd also be good to determine if using VMR vs. EVR has any impact on this
Windows 10 using EVR. It freezes, but not every viewing.

Quote:
and then whether swapping out the STVEVRPrstr.dll and/or the SageTVDX93D.dll and even DShowPlayer.dll from V7 vs. V9 have an impact on the problem.
I've only upgraded the JAR & XML files on my server & clients.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 01-01-2017, 12:25 PM
Sage Expert

So, did some checking and the SageTV build I'm using was versioned (by me, IIRC) as 9.0.3.3 and upgraded via Jar replacement. (I said it has been awhile since I updated)

The "live TV Freeze" that it experiences (under Windows 7 32bit via HD200 extender) simply stops playback at the EOF for the current program(usually with a screwed up video image on screen), hitting the play button resumes the (nearly) live playback without further issue.

Ceton infiniTV 6 PCIe running SageDCT, Hauppage 2250 times 2, and a HD Homerrun in the mix as well.

Last edited by Monedeath; 01-01-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben_dallas View Post
Windows 10 using EVR. It freezes, but not every viewing.

I've only upgraded the JAR & XML files on my server & clients.
Wait...I want to be very clear on this. You are using all the files from V7, and ONLY using a new Sage.jar and STV from V9 and the freezing problem is occurring on program change? And this worked fine with V7?
Old 01-02-2017, 02:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Wait...I want to be very clear on this. You are using all the files from V7, and ONLY using a new Sage.jar and STV from V9 and the freezing problem is occurring on program change?
Correct.

Quote:
And this worked fine with V7?
Unfortunately I can't say this for sure. I got married in 2016 and hence watch a lot more near-live TV, and started noticing it. The only changes on the Windows server-client PC in 2016 were upgrading Win 7 to Win 10 and upgrading Sage 7 to Sage 9.

The server PC is also my main client, and I use it in service mode.

Last edited by korben_dallas; 01-02-2017 at 02:34 PM. Reason: edit
Old 01-02-2017, 05:45 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Wait...I want to be very clear on this. You are using all the files from V7, and ONLY using a new Sage.jar and STV from V9 and the freezing problem is occurring on program change? And this worked fine with V7?
This question wasn't directed at me but this may help, I started with V9 and had the freezing problem (see post #66)
I uninstalled V9 and removed the Sagetv folder from Program Files x86.
I installed V7 and it worked good although sometimes it would hang for a few seconds during a program change but would always move on to the next program.
I then upgraded to V9 by replacing the sageTV.exe, sage.jar, lucene_core360.jar, STV. and the freezing problem came back as before.
I changed back to V7 earlier today and so far is working well.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrahler5 View Post
This question wasn't directed at me but this may help, I started with V9 and had the freezing problem (see post #66)
I uninstalled V9 and removed the Sagetv folder from Program Files x86.
I installed V7 and it worked good although sometimes it would hang for a few seconds during a program change but would always move on to the next program.
I then upgraded to V9 by replacing the sageTV.exe, sage.jar, lucene_core360.jar, STV. and the freezing problem came back as before.
I changed back to V7 earlier today and so far is working well.
Can you get me a log file from when it works fine in V7 and then one from when it freezes in V9? I've looked at the V9 logs before when it freezes and didn't see anything out of the ordinary...maybe if i compare them it will help figure out what's wrong.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:36 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Can you get me a log file from when it works fine in V7 and then one from when it freezes in V9? I've looked at the V9 logs before when it freezes and didn't see anything out of the ordinary...maybe if i compare them it will help figure out what's wrong.
Will do, but it will be this weekend or later before I can. Thanks
Old 01-05-2017, 02:41 PM
Sage User

I've dropped the sagetv 9 files and the STV files, pretty much the same as others here.

The problem has returned.

Rolled back to V7 and all is working fine again.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleaudb View Post
I've dropped the sagetv 9 files and the STV files, pretty much the same as others here.

The problem has returned.

Rolled back to V7 and all is working fine again.
Did you only switch the Sage.jar file when trying it with V9, or did you install the whole thing? From other posts...the current theory is the issue is actually in the Sage.jar file and I'm looking for logs of it working fine in V7 and then also failing in V9 so I can compare them to spot a difference.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:32 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Did you only switch the Sage.jar file when trying it with V9, or did you install the whole thing? From other posts...the current theory is the issue is actually in the Sage.jar file and I'm looking for logs of it working fine in V7 and then also failing in V9 so I can compare them to spot a difference.
I dropped the exe file, JAR and STV the same as others.

I can try just the exe file and see what happens when I get time. Family is back home and life is miserable with all the frowns and dirty looks that came with the V9 freezing.

I hope this can be fixed before the EPG service is discontinued. I've installed the Schedules Direct plugin, but it will not even show up as a provider under source setup.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:59 PM
Sage User

V7sagetv_0.zip

V9sagetv_0.zip
Quote:
Here are the requested log files.
In both logs I had the programs playing 30 seconds behind live TV because V9 will often times move on to the next program when live, otherwise it will almost always freeze.

V7 switched programs with a 2 or 3 second freeze in between.
V9 remained frozen for about 1 minute until I toggled full screen and then it moved on to the next.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:42 PM
Sage Icon

So I took a look at the logs files at one difference I can see is in the working (V7) one, there is this which is in the V9 one, but a couple minutes after the hour:

Code:
Sat 1/7 15:00:34.709 [VideoFrame-SAGETV_PROCESS_LOCAL_UI@18a80ec] VideoFrame watching a live old airing, fixing it.
When tracing where that message comes from, I found a 2013 edit in VideoFrame.java by Narflex that *could* be part of this V7/V9 difference. Notice how the edit now prevents transitioning to the next file before the EOS data. Is the EOS data not reliably pushed or slow to push and causing this long wait/freeze?

Code:
            // Narflex - 2/6/13 - There was an issue where we would do a seamless transition to the next file before
            // the server had actually pushed the EOS data because the current media time was within 250msec of the calculated duration.
            // So I added a '!liveControl' to the below conditional to prevent us from moving to the next airing if we have live control
            // and we have no hit the EOS yet.
Then again, the difference in the log file may reflect the intentional change above and something else is still wrong.

More thoughts:

Is it possible the EOS is delayed due to post recording padding or buffering? If so, does the switchover (EOS) in V9 not happen until that padding is consumed and yet is VideoFrame continuing to send frozen frames? I noticed a ton of VideoFrame logs of:

Code:
isRec=false rd=213440 base=213264 eos=false
IsRec is false which I think means it's not a current recording? There is a VF InactiveFile message within a second of the hour. I think that's when the screen freezes, because there isn't a valid file to stream.

In the V9 log, I see the "Demuxer end of stream event received" message which reflects the EOS. That message is never there in the working V7 one and perhaps it hotswitches the stream instead of EOS'ing it?

Last edited by wnjj; 01-08-2017 at 12:42 AM.