SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:10 AM
Sage User

I just wanted to provide an update on my audio cutout issue. I have tested by rolling back to a backup of my SageTV folder and the issue still persists. It appears to be something else on my system that's causing it. I'll continue troubleshooting that issue separately. Thanks for all of the hard work on the live freeze issue everyone.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:08 PM
Sage User

I have been having the same problem I have installed the sage.jar and will give it a try
Old 02-09-2017, 01:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleaudb View Post
Installed v9 and the fix.

So far so good.

No noticeable pause or interruption during program changes.
how did you install the fix? did you do a 'clean' install of v.9 and then add the fix-files, or did you do an 'upgrade' from v.7 to v.9?

To your knowledge, are the 'fixed' files now included with the Windows installer, or do they have to be installed independantly from the Windows installer?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 02-09-2017, 06:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
how did you install the fix? did you do a 'clean' install of v.9 and then add the fix-files, or did you do an 'upgrade' from v.7 to v.9?

To your knowledge, are the 'fixed' files now included with the Windows installer, or do they have to be installed independantly from the Windows installer?
If you installed 9.0.13 then it has the fix mentioned here.

k
Old 02-09-2017, 11:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post

k
ok, good news then. thanks, I think...
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 02-19-2017, 01:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post

k
Hi - I'm still having the freezing problem with v.9

I checked the zip file of the jar update that Jeff posted a while back (post #88 in this thread) against the jar file that's installed with the latest update from the Windows Installer (9.0.13.536_R1.010 vs the recent 9.0.13.536_R1.011).

Jeff's jar file is 5,420,917 in size, while the jar file that installs with v.9 is 5,456,850, and has not changed since the previous Windows install version.

Any idea what the correct action should be, aka should I just drop the jar file Jeff uploaded over the most recent Windows install version?

Getting kinda sick of live video stopping all the time
Old 02-19-2017, 06:09 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Hi - I'm still having the freezing problem with v.9

I checked the zip file of the jar update that Jeff posted a while back (post #88 in this thread) against the jar file that's installed with the latest update from the Windows Installer (9.0.13.536_R1.010 vs the recent 9.0.13.536_R1.011).

Jeff's jar file is 5,420,917 in size, while the jar file that installs with v.9 is 5,456,850, and has not changed since the previous Windows install version.

Any idea what the correct action should be, aka should I just drop the jar file Jeff uploaded over the most recent Windows install version?

Getting kinda sick of live video stopping all the time
If you have manually copied any files into the Sage directory in the past, it probably confused the installer (it generally won't replace files that it didn't put there in a previous install). I would suggest re-running the sage Windows installer and choosing the option for "repair". This should force it to overwrite files like Sage.jar, even if they were put there manually or by some other process.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 02-19-2017, 06:15 PM
Sage Icon

The newest Windows installer should include the fixes Jeff posted. Any other size differences in the jar file would be due to other updates not related to this issue.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
If you have manually copied any files into the Sage directory in the past, it probably confused the installer (it generally won't replace files that it didn't put there in a previous install). I would suggest re-running the sage Windows installer and choosing the option for "repair". This should force it to overwrite files like Sage.jar, even if they were put there manually or by some other process.
I hadn't copied any files over manually. I did install v.9 fresh, not from an update. I then re-installed the latest over that (13 over 12 I believe), but that didn't change the jar file size to what Jeff posted.
THEN I copied over his zip file, and video played today, live, all day on both my server and PC client without freezing.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I hadn't copied any files over manually. I did install v.9 fresh, not from an update. I then re-installed the latest over that (13 over 12 I believe), but that didn't change the jar file size to what Jeff posted.
THEN I copied over his zip file, and video played today, live, all day on both my server and PC client without freezing.
Interesting. I thought the fix was in the latest Windows installer. Maybe we need to do another release with the current commits.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 02-20-2017, 07:01 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
That would suggest either the installer doesn't have the latest version, or something didn't go right with the installer when you upgraded from 12 to 13.

Did you ever try the Repair install?
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 02-20-2017, 11:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
Interesting. I thought the fix was in the latest Windows installer. Maybe we need to do another release with the current commits.
That's what I was lead to believe as well. I did my clean install on Feb 5, so that should have had the newest jar file I thought. Anyway, after reinstalling the newest version yesterday and still having hang-ups, I inserted Jeff's zip file version, which was a different size, and voila - so far no more live-video freezes or crashes
Old 02-20-2017, 11:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
That would suggest either the installer doesn't have the latest version, or something didn't go right with the installer when you upgraded from 12 to 13.

Did you ever try the Repair install?
No, I didn't see your post until after I inserted Jeff's zip file
next time
Old 02-23-2017, 11:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Well, it worked for a couple of days, but now the live freezing is back.

If I just leave SageTV open on the server, watching live video, and come back hours later, video is usually frozen, and a reboot is necessary.

Could this be either a Java heap thing, or, what else possibly? I'm ready to check anything to make it stop...

Last edited by tvmaster2; 02-23-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:07 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
If I just leave the SageTV open on the server, watching live video, and come back hours later, video is usually frozen, and a reboot is necessary.

Could this be either a Java heap thing, or, what else possibly? I'm ready to check anything to make it stop...
Sounds like a memory leak issue if it works initially, but eventually starts to not work. In which case all a larger JAVA heap would do is buy more time until it fails.

Now when you say you "leave the SageTV open on the server, watching live video," are you running the (Stand Alone) PC Client or the place shifter client?

Likewise, is it only the client on the server that has the issue, or is it also impacting other clients within the house/network? (So while playback may be frozen on the Server's client, other clients not local to the server still work, and can continue doing back to back playback)

Down one path lies a server issue, down the other path lies a client issue, with multiple choices as to the client being involved.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monedeath View Post
Sounds like a memory leak issue if it works initially, but eventually starts to not work. In which case all a larger JAVA heap would do is buy more time until it fails.

Now when you say you "leave the SageTV open on the server, watching live video," are you running the (Stand Alone) PC Client or the place shifter client?

Likewise, is it only the client on the server that has the issue, or is it also impacting other clients within the house/network? (So while playback may be frozen on the Server's client, other clients not local to the server still work, and can continue doing back to back playback)

Down one path lies a server issue, down the other path lies a client issue, with multiple choices as to the client being involved.
After rebooting, my JVM readings are 243 / 420 / 1038mb
Windows 7 32mb 4gb ram
Neither the client or placeshifter software, just the SageTV For Windows main app, installed on my dedicated Sage HTPC server. I watch thru the Sage software on this machine, as opposed to using an extender (which I use everywhere else in the house).
I don't recall ever having a problem with my extenders, but I turn those on and off as I need them, whereas the server is always on.

I suppose I could open up a client window on another PC and leave that running to see how it fares compared to the server window

Last edited by tvmaster2; 02-23-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Also, are you running the service, or completely standalone?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 02-23-2017, 04:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Also, are you running the service, or completely standalone?
running the service. The only thing else I can think of after reading countless entries here about memory leaks is that something besides sage may be stealing ram somehow, randomly, as the Sage freezes follow no method of consistency. If you know of a way to track this kind of thing, maybe that's the answer. One person used this app https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../bb896645.aspx to track down their problems, but they couldn't run Sage while doing the test. I've been running Sage for 10 years - don't know if I can live without it for a test....lol

Last edited by tvmaster2; 02-23-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Here's an excerpt from the log as to what was happening during the last freeze/pause, whatever you'd like to call it. My watch said 17:57, but it could be fast by a minute or so. Whatever it was, happened in this window.
In this case, I was able to stop playback and restart the recording's playback and not lose any info, although there is one anomaly (as this was a recording in progress): the timeline shows the equivalent of approx. 20 minutes of recording (green) AFTER the live, real-time readout. That's odd. And no, I can't FF into that zone.

Oh, it was the Colossus recording that froze, NOT the HD PVR program
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagelog.zip (1.2 KB, 76 views)
Old 02-23-2017, 05:59 PM
Sage

If you want to post a complete log file from when the freezing occurs and indicate what time it happened at, that might help. That little snippet you posted has virtually nothing in it so it doesn't help much for finding the problem.