SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
If you want to post a complete log file from when the freezing occurs and indicate what time it happened at, that might help. That little snippet you posted has virtually nothing in it so it doesn't help much for finding the problem.
sure, I can do that. Stay tuned, and thanks. I thought it was fixed with the jar file you uploaded, but that only lasted a couple of days.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 02-23-2017, 11:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
If you want to post a complete log file from when the freezing occurs and indicate what time it happened at, that might help. That little snippet you posted has virtually nothing in it so it doesn't help much for finding the problem.
How much time before and after the incident do you need?
The entire log file zips up much larger than 750kb, so I can't upload it
Let me know how far before and after I can edit out so you have what you need
Thanks
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 02-24-2017, 03:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
How much time before and after the incident do you need?
The entire log file zips up much larger than 750kb, so I can't upload it
Let me know how far before and after I can edit out so you have what you need
Thanks
If you just stick it on a Google drive and share the link, you can upload the whole thing. Much easier.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 02-24-2017, 10:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon View Post
If you just stick it on a Google drive and share the link, you can upload the whole thing. Much easier.
thanks. I don't use Google drive, or similar.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:23 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
thanks. I don't use Google drive, or similar.
Takes 5 minutes to set one up.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 02-24-2017, 10:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon View Post
Takes 5 minutes to set one up.
thanks. that's not the issue. i'm confused as to why six hours of logs are needed to notice what happened at a specific time

And, after having spent the last hour trying to figure out how to upload the file from Google Drive, it has taken much longer than five minutes

But this may work:

http://www.filedropper.com/sagetv1

or this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByN...ew?usp=sharing

Live video freeze between 17:55:00 and 18:00:00 during Prime Time Sports channel 264 Colossus tuner

Last edited by tvmaster2; 02-24-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:40 PM
Sage

I actually need the client log file...I didn't realize you were running it as a service so the playback information isn't in the log file you posted.

And the reason I ask for a complete log file is that very frequently when people try to cut out what they think is the relevant part...they don't include other important information that I quite often reference such as the capture devices, their configuration, database size, etc. and other things that are at the beginning of the log file...or maybe other things further out from the time of the incident that actually have an impact. It's very annoying to spend a bunch of time analyzing a chunk of a log file only to realize that I can't figure the whole problem out because other critical information is missing and then I need to redo the whole analysis over sometimes when I do get a complete log.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I actually need the client log file...I didn't realize you were running it as a service so the playback information isn't in the log file you posted.

And the reason I ask for a complete log file is that very frequently when people try to cut out what they think is the relevant part...they don't include other important information that I quite often reference such as the capture devices, their configuration, database size, etc. and other things that are at the beginning of the log file...or maybe other things further out from the time of the incident that actually have an impact. It's very annoying to spend a bunch of time analyzing a chunk of a log file only to realize that I can't figure the whole problem out because other critical information is missing and then I need to redo the whole analysis over sometimes when I do get a complete log.
Ok, I'll try and find that one from the day and time of the error, or wait until I get another freeze. At least I know how to get a big log to you now. I realize there are many possible reasons why this is happening, as others are having variations of the same situations, so thanks for spending whatever time you need. Stay tuned

Last edited by tvmaster2; 02-25-2017 at 01:37 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Okay, found the client log from Friday Feb 23rd. Again, freeze was between 17:55:00 and 18:00:00 on the 23rd, Colossus tuner, Prime Time Sports, channel 264. 17:57:00 was what my watch read, but it was likely out by a minute or two vs. the server time.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetvclient_2.zip (90.4 KB, 104 views)
Old 02-25-2017, 02:58 PM
Sage

I'm not seeing anything actually wrong in your log file...and whatever happened, is definitely not the same problem that was addressed with the fix I did. The fix I did was when a live TV program was transitioning to the next show...you're in the middle of watching this program.

You also select that show to watch a few times, and then something else and then back to this program all within the 17:55-17:57 timeframe, so I'm assuming the problem came on that last playback attempt you did and not one of the prior ones. The log also shows the timeline continuing to increase, which usually indicates it is playing it back at that time. There's also lots of seeking being done by you in that program, so I'm not sure where the issue actually arose relative to when all that seeking was done. Overall, there's just too much noise in the log file and not an accurate enough timestamp for me to know exactly where to look to try to find a problem.

If you can get it to happen again, and then go to the Main Menu or do something else specific right after it occurs that you could point me to in the log file (so I could find where the problem happened)...then I may be able to locate something.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm not seeing anything actually wrong in your log file...and whatever happened, is definitely not the same problem that was addressed with the fix I did. The fix I did was when a live TV program was transitioning to the next show...you're in the middle of watching this program.

You also select that show to watch a few times, and then something else and then back to this program all within the 17:55-17:57 timeframe, so I'm assuming the problem came on that last playback attempt you did and not one of the prior ones. The log also shows the timeline continuing to increase, which usually indicates it is playing it back at that time. There's also lots of seeking being done by you in that program, so I'm not sure where the issue actually arose relative to when all that seeking was done. Overall, there's just too much noise in the log file and not an accurate enough timestamp for me to know exactly where to look to try to find a problem.

If you can get it to happen again, and then go to the Main Menu or do something else specific right after it occurs that you could point me to in the log file (so I could find where the problem happened)...then I may be able to locate something.
Thanks so far. I was actually just watching this show and had been for some time, maybe 20 minutes (yes, I do occasionally pause if the phone rings etc., and then play again) without interruption I thought when the picture just came to a stop all on it's own, around 17:56:00. After about a minute or two I believe I got it playing again, successfully. But if I'm not around and this happens, it's usually much harder to just pick up where things left off without either changing or re-selecting the channel it was on.
I'll keep an eye out for the next time and be diligent with regards to time-stamps etc.
cheers

Last edited by tvmaster2; 02-26-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Okay. I left live video running last night and turned off my TV. When I turned on the TV this morning, video was sitting frozen. Here are the particulars. If you still want me to try and capture the event shortly after it happens, that may take a while. For now, maybe this can help:

TV turn on (according to log times) 11:05:00 Feb 26

Frozen video sitting 34:40 into timeline of movie 'Kumiko - Treasure Hunter' on channel 141 TMN, which is what I left it on last night.

That film began at 06:50:00 Feb 26, so I would expect an event around 07:24:00 or thereabouts.

The next time on the time log when I interacted with Sage manually was after 11:05:00, by pressing the rewind button I believe.

The next major move by me was at 11:26:20, when I changed the channel on the Colossus tuner to channel 127, HGTV, Love it or List It Vancouver.

Included is the client log. I did see a few directx commands to free memory, but other than that, nothing I could see that was obvious.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetvclient_0.zip (269.8 KB, 90 views)
Old 02-26-2017, 12:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Finally - happened while watching live video. A 30 minute recording had just ended, Motoring, which began at 12:30:00 ish, on channel 98 - TSN - Colossus tuner.

Live video continued on same channel at 13:00:00, NASCAR Cup Series Pre-race.

At 13:11:17 in the log, something happens.

In reality, based on my HTPC's clock, live video froze just after 13:10:00

Just after 13:11:40 according to HTPC time, I selected 'Main Menu', then perused my recording list, then changed manually to channel 280 on Colossus to NASCAR Pre-Race (note: the same show was running LIVE on Channel 98 when the freeze occurred - TSN has five sports channels, and often runs the same show on all of them at the same time).

Here's the strange part: I rewound the timeline to see if anything weird happened, and indeed it did - while watching the show that began at 13:00:00, 10:40 into the timeline, the video jumped ahead approx. :44 seconds, exactly where the freeze happened.

Memory? Disk Access? Direct X problem? it's baffling me...
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetvclient_1.zip (623.9 KB, 94 views)
Old 02-27-2017, 01:02 PM
Sage

OK, well now we know that it's a problem with the actual video being recorded itself. I don't think there's any Java level issue in SageTV.

There could be various things happening at that time memory or disk or CPU related....or even just a drop in the signal that caused the problem. I haven't tried to track something like that down on Windows before...but maybe others have ideas that can help you.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
OK, well now we know that it's a problem with the actual video being recorded itself. I don't think there's any Java level issue in SageTV.

There could be various things happening at that time memory or disk or CPU related....or even just a drop in the signal that caused the problem. I haven't tried to track something like that down on Windows before...but maybe others have ideas that can help you.
When you say "video being recorded", Sage is always in a state of record, yes? So even when I'm watching a live stream that isn't a recording, that's what you mean, correct?

The only thing that's different, unfortunately, is v.9. Nothing else in my system has changed, hardware, software, cabling, etc. Just v.9 being installed. I haven't had any problems with the HD PVR tuner feed, just the Colossus tuner live video.

What would v.9 not like about the Colossus?

Last edited by tvmaster2; 02-27-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Finally - happened while watching live video. A 30 minute recording had just ended, Motoring, which began at 12:30:00 ish, on channel 98 - TSN - Colossus tuner.

Live video continued on same channel at 13:00:00, NASCAR Cup Series Pre-race.

At 13:11:17 in the log, something happens.

In reality, based on my HTPC's clock, live video froze just after 13:10:00

Just after 13:11:40 according to HTPC time, I selected 'Main Menu', then perused my recording list, then changed manually to channel 280 on Colossus to NASCAR Pre-Race (note: the same show was running LIVE on Channel 98 when the freeze occurred - TSN has five sports channels, and often runs the same show on all of them at the same time).

Here's the strange part: I rewound the timeline to see if anything weird happened, and indeed it did - while watching the show that began at 13:00:00, 10:40 into the timeline, the video jumped ahead approx. :44 seconds, exactly where the freeze happened.

Memory? Disk Access? Direct X problem? it's baffling me...

What I see happening is it's playing just fine at first. The VideoFrame class reports in every 5 minutes on the playing status. Between the first and second one below, there is 5 minutes of real time (13:01:29 to 13:06:29) with 5 minutes of increased recording file size (the rd= #'s) and 5 minutes of show watched at ~11 seconds behind real time (the base= #'s). rd and base are in milliseconds.

Code:
Sun 2/26 13:01:29.943 [VideoFrame-SAGETV_PROCESS_LOCAL_UI@1b5a502] isRec=true rd=89941 base=78608 eos=false
Sun 2/26 13:06:29.958 [VideoFrame-SAGETV_PROCESS_LOCAL_UI@1b5a502] isRec=true rd=389956 base=378492 eos=false
Sun 2/26 13:11:29.987 [VideoFrame-SAGETV_PROCESS_LOCAL_UI@1b5a502] isRec=true rd=689985 base=572917 eos=false

Then while the 13:11:29 log entry shows 5 more minutes (300,000 ms) of recording (rd=) time, the base only moved 194 seconds (3:14). It appears the playback graph just stopped processing even though the recording kept going just fine.

It also looks like you pushed the menu button at 13:11:17 as that is where the UserEvent logs start showing events. That would have been when the video was 13 seconds short of another 5 minute log event in the VideoFrame log. So I can tell you pushed the menu button after it had been frozen for about 1 minute and 30 seconds.

There's nothing in the log to show why the playback stopped increasing. If you do catch it again while running live, wait at least 5 minutes before pressing anything. I suspect the VideoFrame log will show continued recording and halted playback.

One difference between V7 and V9 might be the decoders used for playback. I don't know what format of video you're dealing with here so maybe nothing has changed. For example, V9 doesn't include the V7 MPEG2 decoders unless you install over top of V7.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
What I see happening is it's playing just fine at first. The VideoFrame class reports in every 5 minutes on the playing status. Between the first and second one below, there is 5 minutes of real time (13:01:29 to 13:06:29) with 5 minutes of increased recording file size (the rd= #'s) and 5 minutes of show watched at ~11 seconds behind real time (the base= #'s). rd and base are in milliseconds.

Code:
Sun 2/26 13:01:29.943 [VideoFrame-SAGETV_PROCESS_LOCAL_UI@1b5a502] isRec=true rd=89941 base=78608 eos=false
Sun 2/26 13:06:29.958 [VideoFrame-SAGETV_PROCESS_LOCAL_UI@1b5a502] isRec=true rd=389956 base=378492 eos=false
Sun 2/26 13:11:29.987 [VideoFrame-SAGETV_PROCESS_LOCAL_UI@1b5a502] isRec=true rd=689985 base=572917 eos=false

Then while the 13:11:29 log entry shows 5 more minutes (300,000 ms) of recording (rd=) time, the base only moved 194 seconds (3:14). It appears the playback graph just stopped processing even though the recording kept going just fine.

It also looks like you pushed the menu button at 13:11:17 as that is where the UserEvent logs start showing events. That would have been when the video was 13 seconds short of another 5 minute log event in the VideoFrame log. So I can tell you pushed the menu button after it had been frozen for about 1 minute and 30 seconds.

There's nothing in the log to show why the playback stopped increasing. If you do catch it again while running live, wait at least 5 minutes before pressing anything. I suspect the VideoFrame log will show continued recording and halted playback.

One difference between V7 and V9 might be the decoders used for playback. I don't know what format of video you're dealing with here so maybe nothing has changed. For example, V9 doesn't include the V7 MPEG2 decoders unless you install over top of V7.
Your assessment seems spot on with regards to what was happening in the room in front of me. I'll wait five minutes next time. I'm running Windows 7, not 10, so I imagine all the codecs etc. are the same. I kept everything the same under 'detailed setup / video-audio, such as EVR, Microsoft DTV-DVD video decoder for both mpeg2 and h.264. Still one mystery is why the HD PVR tuner hasn't produced any frozen, live video. Maybe that's just a fluke.
Thanks for the assistance
Old 02-27-2017, 06:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Let me add a new discovery to this v.9 problem. It would appear about every third recording I make via the Colossus tuner has messed up time-stamp settings. The clock time runs up anywhere between three to nine seconds for every second of real-time playback. This is likely tied in with the live-video freezing? Maybe the time jumping is causing the crashing? Didn't realize this was happening until I started checking some recordings today, and voila, time problems.
Never happened before - swear
Old 02-28-2017, 01:19 PM
Sage

The clock increasing at too fast a rate is something that SageTV does to the UI when the actual measured duration of the video is much shorter than the duration SageTV told it to record for. So if the media file is actually 15 minutes in length, but the database said it was a 30 minute recording, the clock will be 2x the normal rate in the UI during playback.

You can disable this by setting videoframe/disable_timescaling_on_seek=true in the properties file on the client, but it won't fix any problems for you (just change what the UI shows) and may introduce another anomalies relating to seeking/etc.

Your Colossus may just be failing now and terminating recording early. But SageTV should be detecting if the recording halts for more than 60 seconds, and then restarting it when that occurs (which doesn't sound like it's happening, so data is likely still being written to the file). It'd be interesting to look at one of these recordings to see what's actually in there...if you can find someplace to upload it, post a link and I'll take a look.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The clock increasing at too fast a rate is something that SageTV does to the UI when the actual measured duration of the video is much shorter than the duration SageTV told it to record for. So if the media file is actually 15 minutes in length, but the database said it was a 30 minute recording, the clock will be 2x the normal rate in the UI during playback.

You can disable this by setting videoframe/disable_timescaling_on_seek=true in the properties file on the client, but it won't fix any problems for you (just change what the UI shows) and may introduce another anomalies relating to seeking/etc.

Your Colossus may just be failing now and terminating recording early. But SageTV should be detecting if the recording halts for more than 60 seconds, and then restarting it when that occurs (which doesn't sound like it's happening, so data is likely still being written to the file). It'd be interesting to look at one of these recordings to see what's actually in there...if you can find someplace to upload it, post a link and I'll take a look.

I'll try to find somewhere to let you access the file from. Mostly every time, I can run the problem recording thru VideoReDo / tools / Quickstream Fix, and all is well with the fixed file.