SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:26 AM
Sage User

V7 to V9 Upgrade Fail - Help Needed

System is Windows 10, Java 1.8.0_11, DirectX 12. Tried the Windows Installer to upgrade my licensed SageTV 7.1.9.256 to V9. Install said it succeeded. On startup, as soon as the splash screen disappears nothing else appears...it just goes back to the windows desktop. Task manager shows Sage running but no UI. I waited for 20 min or so but nothing. I'm attaching a couple of my hs_err_pid error files for someone to look at since I don't have a clue. Thanks in advance for any direction you can point me in.
Attached Files
File Type: txt hs_err_pid7196.txt (30.8 KB, 180 views)
File Type: txt hs_err_pid8684.txt (26.7 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by mwittl; 12-12-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:15 PM
Sage

It's crashing when it's trying to load Direct3D...but I can't tell why from that log. Can you set debug_logging=TRUE in the Sage.properties file, run it again and then post the sagetv_0.txt file?
Old 12-13-2016, 05:24 AM
Sage User

Yes, I'll give it another try this coming weekend and will post the sagetv_0.txt file. I had to restore the V7 from backup after the fail to get back a happy wife!
Old 12-15-2016, 07:29 AM
Sage User

Another V7 to V9 Fail

After my initial licensed V7 to V9 upgrade fail, I tried again with debug logging on. This time after the splash screen disappears Sage goes all the way down. I've split up the sagetv_0 and sagetv_1 logs into two files to get around the size limit. Not sure I see anything too interesting there, but the sagetv_2.txt file is different. These are from several attempts to start V9. I have one other debug file (sagetv_3.txt) but it is similar to the sagetv_2.txt. That one seems to show the shutdown. Any help would be appreciated since I don't have a clue what to do at this point.
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetv_0_PART_1.txt (615.5 KB, 178 views)
File Type: txt sagetv_0_PART_2.txt (218.1 KB, 170 views)
File Type: txt sagetv_1_PART_1.txt (621.3 KB, 176 views)
File Type: txt sagetv_1_PART_2.txt (218.4 KB, 172 views)
File Type: txt sagetv_2.txt (523.2 KB, 228 views)
Old 12-15-2016, 08:35 AM
SageTVaholic

My suggestion... Install a "fresh" sagetv v9 using the windows installer. Start it up, get it working, etc, and then migrate your "old" wiz.bin to the new setup, etc. I'm looking at the all jars/plugins installed, and it could be any one of those causing an issue, so to rule out if you are dealing with a sagetv issue vs sagetv+plugins... i would start with just sagetv.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:11 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
My suggestion... Install a "fresh" sagetv v9 using the windows installer. Start it up, get it working, etc, and then migrate your "old" wiz.bin to the new setup, etc. I'm looking at the all jars/plugins installed, and it could be any one of those causing an issue, so to rule out if you are dealing with a sagetv issue vs sagetv+plugins... i would start with just sagetv.
I need to know with more certainty what isn't playing nice. It could be something in my Windows install that V9 isn't tolerating. If that's the case, than a fresh install won't help. All SageTV versions up to my current V7 worked fine. Jeff said it was crashing trying to load Direct3D and wanted these log files to see why. Hopefully someone can figure it out!
Old 12-15-2016, 09:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwittl View Post
I need to know with more certainty what isn't playing nice. It could be something in my Windows install that V9 isn't tolerating. If that's the case, than a fresh install won't help. All SageTV versions up to my current V7 worked fine. Jeff said it was crashing trying to load Direct3D and wanted these log files to see why. Hopefully someone can figure it out!
It would help, because if the fresh install of v9 doesn't work, than it will rule out any of the many plugins you have installed from being the cause.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 12-15-2016, 12:31 PM
Sage

From the sagetv_2.txt file:

The Wiz.bin file is invalid, it was only partially written out (which is fine, this is why Wiz.bak is there, it has all the information that would be in the Wiz.bin file when it's in this state).

Thu 12/15 6:42:16.159 [main@141a79c] SageTV V7.1.9.256

You are also running SageTV7 in this log...and the Wiz files are not backwards compatible from V9 to V7 (but SageTV will make a backup when you run a new version, so you should have a backup of the file still). In that log, you just startup SageTV, and then go to the Exit menu option...nothing really of interest in there.

The sagetv_1 log...that's from V9.

I can see startup is taking awhile, set this in Sage.properties:

limited_carny_init=true

then it'll startup MUCH faster.

I can see in sagetv_1, it's crashing when loading DirectShow, which matches the hs_err_pid files you posted. It's failing when calling CreatePixelShader with error code: 0x800700c1

What's very odd is that error code means:

ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT (is not a valid Win32 application.)

The same failure occurs in the sagetv_0 file.

This code has not changed from V7 to V9...what would be interesting to try is taking the SageTVDX93D.dll file from SageTV7 and using it with V9 and see if that fixes the problem. If so, then there's probably something wrong with how that file is getting built for V9. It may also be that the way the V9 one is built has a dependency on a system component that's corrupted on your PC...maybe the Windows Event Viewer might give a hint as to specifically what the problem was.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:41 PM
Sage User

Thanks Jeff. I'll try the V7 SageTVDX93D.dll first and see if that takes care of the problem. It might be this weekend before I can try again.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:07 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
It would help, because if the fresh install of v9 doesn't work, than it will rule out any of the many plugins you have installed from being the cause.
Ok, so is there any advantage to doing an upgrade from V7 to V9 versus just blowing out V7 and installing V9 from scratch and then replacing the wiz.bin and sagetv.properties? My EPG is Schedules Direct, but I also have several V6 license keys.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:46 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Ok, so is there any advantage to doing an upgrade from V7 to V9 versus just blowing out V7 and installing V9 from scratch and then replacing the wiz.bin and sagetv.properties? My EPG is Schedules Direct, but I also have several V6 license keys.
I think the only advantage of an upgrade vs clean install is that you get to keep the SageTV MPEG decoder (it can't be distributed as open source, so had to be removed for v9). Most people don't use this anyway, but if you do, you may care.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 12-17-2016, 03:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
being able to keep your configuration would be the main reason to upgrade. I would not ever try to copy a sage.properties file from one install to another, unless you had absolutely zero plugins installed.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 12-18-2016, 05:53 AM
Sage User

Ok, so I bit the bullet this morning and blew out my V7 installation making sure all registry settings were blown out as well. Did a clean install of V9 and had the same problem....the UI crashes with the SageTVDX93D.dll from the V9 install. I'm attaching the log files from Sage and there is nothing in the Windows logs at all.

Just for grins, I tried a V9 install on another machine with a similar Windows 10 install and no problem...Sage started as expected. Unfortunately, I can't use this as my Sage box for other reasons.

At this point I am restoring my V7 and do not have a clue where to go from here to get to V9 on this box. Any further suggestions?
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetv_0.txt (234.8 KB, 145 views)
File Type: txt hs_err_pid5020.txt (27.5 KB, 156 views)
Old 12-18-2016, 06:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Did you try the v7 of the SageTVDX93D file on v9?

What else is different between these win10 installs? Is the version of directx the same? Have you run dxdiag to see if there is a directx issue?

k
Old 12-18-2016, 07:02 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
Did you try the v7 of the SageTVDX93D file on v9?

What else is different between these win10 installs? Is the version of directx the same? Have you run dxdiag to see if there is a directx issue?

k
Different video cards. Both have DirectX 12 and dxdiag shows no issues on either machine. The V7 SageTVDX93D.dll works, but I'm hesitant to use it since I don't know what calls are being made to that .dll, or will be made to that file in newer versions. By using the V7 .dll, I would think I'm opening myself up to future crashes.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Different video cards. Both have DirectX 12 and dxdiag shows no issues on either machine. The V7 SageTVDX93D.dll works, but I'm hesitant to use it since I don't know what calls are being made to that .dll, or will be made to that file in newer versions. By using the V7 .dll, I would think I'm opening myself up to future crashes.
What it tells me is there is something wrong in how we build that dll as the code has not changed so both versions "should" be identical.

Not sure how we solve it as this is the first issue raised on that dll so hard for me to track why the build is different.

If it was me i'd use the v7 dll until we get time to determine the issue.

k
Old 12-18-2016, 01:51 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
What it tells me is there is something wrong in how we build that dll as the code has not changed so both versions "should" be identical.

Not sure how we solve it as this is the first issue raised on that dll so hard for me to track why the build is different.

If it was me i'd use the v7 dll until we get time to determine the issue.

k
That's interesting. If it helps, the machine I did get V9 to run on out of the box was my programming box, which has VS2015 on it. Not sure if that helps but makes me wonder about some dependency that might be needed in the V9 install package. If there is some missing dependency, that one .dll might not be the only one with issues. I was only able to verify my V9 UI worked with the V7 SageTVDX93D.dll. I did not get a chance to check out other stuff that might call other .dll's.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
That's interesting. If it helps, the machine I did get V9 to run on out of the box was my programming box, which has VS2015 on it. Not sure if that helps but makes me wonder about some dependency that might be needed in the V9 install package. If there is some missing dependency, that one .dll might not be the only one with issues. I was only able to verify my V9 UI worked with the V7 SageTVDX93D.dll. I did not get a chance to check out other stuff that might call other .dll's.
So you're a programmer eh? You can just download the code, rebuild the DLL yourself, and if that one still crashes then slap the debugger on there and *maybe* you'll be able to get more information as to what's going wrong.

jusjoken, you may want to take a look at the library dependencies between the two different DLLs, that may clue into a difference there as well.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:34 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
So you're a programmer eh? You can just download the code, rebuild the DLL yourself, and if that one still crashes then slap the debugger on there and *maybe* you'll be able to get more information as to what's going wrong.

jusjoken, you may want to take a look at the library dependencies between the two different DLLs, that may clue into a difference there as well.
Haha...retired programmer....with grandkids!!

Out of curiosity, what exactly is required to make a V9 from a successful V7 install? Just the sage.jar or are the .exe's and .dll's needed to? If it's just the .jar, what's the downside to just replacing it on a working V7 install?
Old 12-19-2016, 08:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Haha...retired programmer....with grandkids!!

Out of curiosity, what exactly is required to make a V9 from a successful V7 install? Just the sage.jar or are the .exe's and .dll's needed to? If it's just the .jar, what's the downside to just replacing it on a working V7 install?
Bare minimum you just need to replace the jar file and add the environment variable for your SageTV key. Upgrading the exe's is not strictly necessary but the key will still be required if you don't. Shouldn't be a problem with an existing installation. The only other thing to pay attention to is to make sure the only Lucene jar file you have in JARs is lucene-core-3.6.0.jar.