SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Just noticed something odd (not sure which version introduced it) but my android client using FLIRC is skipping twice the configured amount.

I set it to 30 second skip and it skips a minute. I tried setting it to 15 seconds to test and sure enough it nos skips 30. I tried changing the command linked between FF and FF2 no matter what I'm trying it's behaving the same way.

Anybody else noticing this?

For the sake of argument I then took the shield controller and did the long press to validate it does skip the correct amount of time if you use that instead of FLIRC.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the work on the aspect ratio changes. It was a nice Christmas present. I came back after the holidays and immediately noticed that things were now working correctly on 4:3 aspect ratio sources and that there was even a menu option to flip between them if needed.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrament055 View Post
Just noticed something odd (not sure which version introduced it) but my android client using FLIRC is skipping twice the configured amount.

I set it to 30 second skip and it skips a minute. I tried setting it to 15 seconds to test and sure enough it nos skips 30. I tried changing the command linked between FF and FF2 no matter what I'm trying it's behaving the same way.

Anybody else noticing this?

For the sake of argument I then took the shield controller and did the long press to validate it does skip the correct amount of time if you use that instead of FLIRC.
My guess is that FLIRC is processing the commands twice. I was seeing this all the time using FLIRC which is why I stopped using it... ie, I'd hit down and it would move twice, if I entered a # it would enter it twice... I don't think this is a sagetv/miniclient issue.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
My guess is that FLIRC is processing the commands twice. I was seeing this all the time using FLIRC which is why I stopped using it... ie, I'd hit down and it would move twice, if I entered a # it would enter it twice... I don't think this is a sagetv/miniclient issue.
I bought an FLIRC hoping it would be a pleasant experience instead of outfitting an Arduino Leonardo (it can present itself as a keyboard) for the task with my own code. Overall it seemed ok until I noticed that it has absolutely no intelligence about any IR protocols. It literally just listens for exactly what it learned and doesn't seem to have a clue about when a code is repeating or any concept of bit flipping in RC5 and RC6. Most good universal remotes handle these situations very well when learning and these protocols are very well documented, so there's no excuse here. I will be replacing mine with a much better, just not as compact homemade solution.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 01-06-2017, 10:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
I bought an FLIRC hoping it would be a pleasant experience instead of outfitting an Arduino Leonardo (it can present itself as a keyboard) for the task with my own code. Overall it seemed ok until I noticed that it has absolutely no intelligence about any IR protocols. It literally just listens for exactly what it learned and doesn't seem to have a clue about when a code is repeating or any concept of bit flipping in RC5 and RC6. Most good universal remotes handle these situations very well when learning and these protocols are very well documented, so there's no excuse here. I will be replacing mine with a much better, just not as compact homemade solution.
I'm very intested in the homemade solution I've starting (in my mind only) a similar project... using either rPI or Arduino (I have both -- and the parts required). We should collaborate
Old 01-06-2017, 11:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

First off I wanted to express my thanks for all work in developing the Android mini-client.

I recognize its not the highest priority but would it be possible to allow searches within SageTV to extend across online content to be accessed via installed Android apps? I appreciate that online content from other sources, in most cases, cannot be played back directly from within SageTV but perhaps SageTV could launch the appropriate app and load the desired content directly not unlike but hopefully better than what happens on Tivo?
Old 01-06-2017, 11:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7up View Post
First off I wanted to express my thanks for all work in developing the Android mini-client.

I recognize its not the highest priority but would it be possible to allow searches within SageTV to extend across online content to be accessed via installed Android apps? I appreciate that online content from other sources, in most cases, cannot be played back directly from within SageTV but perhaps SageTV could launch the appropriate app and load the desired content directly not unlike but hopefully better than what happens on Tivo?
That's probably not impossible - however it would be very difficult.

Lower hanging fruit that is more likely would be for the SageTV Miniclient to advertise to Android TV 'suggestions' - so when you have a new recording for instance it could show up in the 'Suggestions' area of the android launcher.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Biggest issue that I have at the moment and I'm not sure if it's unique to the MiniClient has to do with playback of shows currently in progress. SageTV will go to the beginning of a show if you switch channels to one that has been buffering on another tuner which is great. I often then have problems playing back other recordings. If I hit stop, it only stops playback of the current channel temporarily and then starts it again because it's live TV. If I try to play back a recording, it just goes back to the live TV buffer rather than the recording selected. Multiple attempts will some time fix this but others it requires exiting the minclient entirely and going back in to successfully play back a video or recording.

Another issue is using the fast forward feature to skip commercials on a live buffer. More often than not this will just jump to the end of the clip even if there's 20 minutes or more of video.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm very intested in the homemade solution I've starting (in my mind only) a similar project... using either rPI or Arduino (I have both -- and the parts required). We should collaborate
The Pi is overkill for what's needed here. The Arduino has an excellent IR library already available to it and all you need is a 5v 38kHz IR receiver. Also the response time for this kind of application is phenomenal compared to a PC or Pi for example. It could be fun little project.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The Pi is overkill for what's needed here. The Arduino has an excellent IR library already available to it and all you need is a 5v 38kHz IR receiver. Also the response time for this kind of application is phenomenal compared to a PC or Pi for example. It could be fun little project.
When I looking at the pi, I was thinking more along the lines of building a relay station... ir receiver that could do ir / bluetooth sending using lirc... but the arduino seems like the right fit, and I think I have the IR receiver module (I have to check).... If you have something working, you send me an email, this would be a fun thing to get working.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
When I looking at the pi, I was thinking more along the lines of building a relay station... ir receiver that could do ir / bluetooth sending using lirc... but the arduino seems like the right fit, and I think I have the IR receiver module (I have to check).... If you have something working, you send me an email, this would be a fun thing to get working.
I did write a do everything program for home automation a while ago, but it was designed with the idea that you also used a server (which was essentially a Leonardo and Uno combined using the serial bus at high speeds) and then you had up to 254 clients. All of these were custom PCB's I had fabricated and the server got all of it's instructions from a specifically formatted SD card. I will need some time to move this over to a client only configuration using the serial port to program keystrokes. I'll shoot you that email when I have something that works. It would be even easier if the IR was hard-coded into keystrokes, but then each person would need to change the underlying code for whatever they want to use.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I did write a do everything program for home automation a while ago, but it was designed with the idea that you also used a server (which was essentially a Leonardo and Uno combined using the serial bus at high speeds) and then you had up to 254 clients. All of these were custom PCB's I had fabricated and the server got all of it's instructions from a specifically formatted SD card. I will need some time to move this over to a client only configuration using the serial port to program keystrokes. I'll shoot you that email when I have something that works. It would be even easier if the IR was hard-coded into keystrokes, but then each person would need to change the underlying code for whatever they want to use.
Cool.. no rush... i have lots to keep me busy.. but this fits nicely into a side project i've been wanting to dabble with.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:16 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I use the FLIRC on my FireTV boxes and it also works with my Mi Box. I have not really had any issues with the multiple entries. I had some issues in the past when using them on my PC but was able to resolve them.

There is an advanced setting for Inter-Key Delay. Also using different remotes may make a difference. I have been using the Microsoft remotes for just about everything and they seem to work the best for me. I actually use the Logitech to mimic the MCE remote.

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:39 PM
SageTVaholic

With the latest and previous version when I'm watching a previously recorded or live show the mini client will hang when I use the stop command.

Not sure if this is a server issue or not, but I've attached the log with the last action being the stop command at 17:31. Seems that a lot is going on when that action is taken.

This line in particular got my attention:

Mon 1/9 17:31:57.478 [MiniUIServer@1e53a99e] Dropping old MiniPlayer connection because it's old from:4c4341545852
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv_0.zip (560.9 KB, 89 views)
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

I know IJK does not presently support pass through, but does it decode AC3/DTS? I just noticed I appear to be getting multi channel sound from my Denon and Yamaha receivers using the miniclient. The receivers say PLIIx C with PCM lit up.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDing View Post
I know IJK does not presently support pass through, but does it decode AC3/DTS? I just noticed I appear to be getting multi channel sound from my Denon and Yamaha receivers using the miniclient. The receivers say PLIIx C with PCM lit up.
It does decode AC3 and DTS, but I think only outputs stereo sound. PLIIx is the sound effects system in the receiver. PCM just means a digital signal coming in - I'm guessing it's 2.0 PCM going in though.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-10-2017, 07:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
With the latest and previous version when I'm watching a previously recorded or live show the mini client will hang when I use the stop command.

Not sure if this is a server issue or not, but I've attached the log with the last action being the stop command at 17:31. Seems that a lot is going on when that action is taken.

This line in particular got my attention:

Mon 1/9 17:31:57.478 [MiniUIServer@1e53a99e] Dropping old MiniPlayer connection because it's old from:4c4341545852
I can see that the UI is hanging... but beyond that I can't see why. Is server debug logging turned on? Maybe Jeff can spot something.

I did have an issue on unRAID where the drives would spin down while I was watching a show... and then when the show ended, i'd get the spinning circle for a few seconds and then it would return me to the UI. This was because the drive that had the show was spun up, but when the show ended, and I had to get back to the UI, the UI would be accessing data on a drive that was spun down, and I'd had wait for it to spin up, before it return to the UI. I fixed it by telling unRAID to NOT spin down my drives.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I can see that the UI is hanging... but beyond that I can't see why. Is server debug logging turned on? Maybe Jeff can spot something.

I did have an issue on unRAID where the drives would spin down while I was watching a show... and then when the show ended, i'd get the spinning circle for a few seconds and then it would return me to the UI. This was because the drive that had the show was spun up, but when the show ended, and I had to get back to the UI, the UI would be accessing data on a drive that was spun down, and I'd had wait for it to spin up, before it return to the UI. I fixed it by telling unRAID to NOT spin down my drives.
I'm wondering what is actually being accessed. I can't think of much that would be accessed on stopping a watching, except the wiz.bin itself (to record the watch history). I have my appdata on the SSD cache, that never 'spins down', but not sure what else might be needed on the spinning media (the recording and import folders). I have the Directory Cache plugin installed and running, and have not noticed these pauses on stopping, which may mean all it's doing is checking a directory listing, or a free space check, all of which can be done with the drive spun down because of the cache. If you ARE experiencing this issue, the cache plugin might be worth a try, to see if it fixes the issue.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-10-2017, 09:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I'm wondering what is actually being accessed. I can't think of much that would be accessed on stopping a watching, except the wiz.bin itself (to record the watch history). I have my appdata on the SSD cache, that never 'spins down', but not sure what else might be needed on the spinning media (the recording and import folders). I have the Directory Cache plugin installed and running, and have not noticed these pauses on stopping, which may mean all it's doing is checking a directory listing, or a free space check, all of which can be done with the drive spun down because of the cache. If you ARE experiencing this issue, the cache plugin might be worth a try, to see if it fixes the issue.
Strange thing is that this is new. It didn't happen until the last update to the mini client, but I think the docker got updated as well.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
For me my appdata is NOT on the cache drive, which means that it's spread out over several disks in the pool... When I would stop, gemstone would need to reload the VFS and fetch fanart. Because of the image cache size on the server, the images that were needed needed to re fetched, so that forced a disk access. I don't have a large ssd cache, so I don't store the appdata on the cache (and the cache data is not parity protected).