SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Nvidia Shield Experience Upgrade 5.0

This latest update to Android OS 7.x seems to be causing problems on my system. Over time, the menu choices and guide will become corrupted. Shutdown the miniclient and restart and it's all better. This had not happened with continuous use on previous versions.

Yesterday when I got home, the entire guide was pink and the channel numbers were unreadable but the channel icons were fine. At lunch today, the menu was jibberish.

Anybody else seeing the same thing? Is there a fix?

I've got a TV in the bedroom that apparently has HDMI issues with the Nvidia Shield. In the previous version of Android, I was able to set the resolution to 720p on a different TV and then move the device over to the TV and all would be fine. That option no longer works and I haven't figured out how to get around it yet.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Sorry to say that my shield with the update works just fine.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:08 PM
SageTVaholic

yeah, my update seems to be working ok as well. You could try power cylcing the shield and rebooting the sagetv server.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

Given that just exiting and restarting the miniclient app fixes things for a day, I doubt that a reboot of the Nvidia shield is the answer. I've brought up the full client on the server while the mini was having issues and it didn't display any problems.

The problem definitely takes time to manifest so if you're shutting your shield off every time you shut your TV off, it may not present itself. I noticed it the same day that the Nvidia Shield update happened so doubt that it's a coincidence.

This update also stopped one of my Shields from working on a 1080i TV where I had the output manually set to 720p. This no longer appears to be an option on the new code. It just automatically uses the 1080p recommended setting. The TV apparently is incapable of displaying a 1080p signal so I get an HDMI not found message. So I've had to keep one piece of hardware on the 6.x code. Put me down as not a fan of this update so far.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

For whatever it's worth, I had a similar issue with the miniclient on the sheild where the ui would get garbled and the screen would turn different shades. A factory reset would fix it for maybe a week. This went on for a couple months until I removed the 64gb microsd card that I had installed a while back (and forgotten about) to use elsewhere and the problem has not returned since (6 months now). So in my case it was probably a cheap memory card causing the issue.

Bobby
Old 01-30-2017, 03:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcarson View Post
Given that just exiting and restarting the miniclient app fixes things for a day, I doubt that a reboot of the Nvidia shield is the answer.
I'm not trying to give you an answer... just trying to help you along with some suggestions on how to mitigate it.

For me, I also have the setting checked, "exit on pause" (I think it's called)... so that when you "leave" the miniclient, it actually kills it. This means you get a "fresh" copy every time. I do know that if I leave it running with sagetv screensaver for a long time, and then come back, the UI can be messed up or really slow. Likely a memory leak in the miniclient.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

I think its something within Java Gargabe collection, ive seen that issue like onces or twice on my shield, and most of the time the Client just not responding / crashing if I left it open with either the app on the front or in background (I have to press onces the remote and after like 5-10 secs I get the App not responding, after that I just Force close and relaunch it).

Having it foce quit when minimized I suppose that would mitigate the issues

Old 01-31-2017, 10:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I'm not trying to give you an answer... just trying to help you along with some suggestions on how to mitigate it.

For me, I also have the setting checked, "exit on pause" (I think it's called)... so that when you "leave" the miniclient, it actually kills it. This means you get a "fresh" copy every time. I do know that if I leave it running with sagetv screensaver for a long time, and then come back, the UI can be messed up or really slow. Likely a memory leak in the miniclient.
I do the same and have no issues. With as fast as it launches I don't notice anything negative from having the client start over every time I launch it.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
I think its something within Java Gargabe collection, ive seen that issue like onces or twice on my shield, and most of the time the Client just not responding / crashing if I left it open with either the app on the front or in background (I have to press onces the remote and after like 5-10 secs I get the App not responding, after that I just Force close and relaunch it).

Having it foce quit when minimized I suppose that would mitigate the issues
Yeah, I've had a similar issue where if it was left running in the background long enough it would give a black screen and not be totally unresponsive. Changing the setting to have it unload on exit fixed' it.