SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

Question Does HDHR Prime = HDPVR?

I currently have a HDPVR and cable box connect to SageTV. I'm looking at options to get more tuners without having to shell out big bucks for additional HDPVRs and cable box rentals.

Will the HDHR Prime do this for me? I see it takes a cable card and has 3 tuners which, on the surface, seems to do what my current setup has X 3.

If true then I have a few more questions...

1. Does the HDHR Prime work the same way as my HDPVR? Meaning...does it tune to a station and stream to SageTV so I can view, record, schedule?
2. How does it stream to SageTV? I only see an Ethernet connection.
3. How does SageTV see 3 tuners and how does it handle tuning? Any plug-ins required?
4. Does it tune quicker than the HDPVR? It takes my system about 7 seconds to change the channel.
Client Hardware: HD200 x2, INT-422-3 & WR7 Remote
Service Provider: Cablevision (QAM to 2250, SamsungBox to HDPVR)
Old 02-07-2017, 08:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDeGonge View Post
I currently have a HDPVR and cable box connect to SageTV. I'm looking at options to get more tuners without having to shell out big bucks for additional HDPVRs and cable box rentals.

Will the HDHR Prime do this for me? I see it takes a cable card and has 3 tuners which, on the surface, seems to do what my current setup has X 3.

If true then I have a few more questions...

1. Does the HDHR Prime work the same way as my HDPVR? Meaning...does it tune to a station and stream to SageTV so I can view, record, schedule?
2. How does it stream to SageTV? I only see an Ethernet connection.
3. How does SageTV see 3 tuners and how does it handle tuning? Any plug-ins required?
4. Does it tune quicker than the HDPVR? It takes my system about 7 seconds to change the channel.
SageTV will not record DRM'd content it can record all non protected from the Prime. You will need a Network encoder like OpenDCT as sageTV does not natively support the prime.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
SageTV will not record DRM'd content it can record all non protected from the Prime. You will need a Network encoder like OpenDCT as sageTV does not natively support the prime.
That's a show-stopper for me. I just put my cable into diagnostics mode and was able to see what channels are 'copyonce'...about half of 'em

So how does the HDPVR manage to get away with not having DRM restrictions?
Old 02-07-2017, 09:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That's a show-stopper for me. I just put my cable into diagnostics mode and was able to see what channels are 'copyonce'...about half of 'em

The HD-PVR uses the A(nalog) hole. Component output is an analog standard that has no copy protection. There has been talk of disabling this output in some current cable boxes and/or you may not see component outputs on boxes in the future

HDMI does have copy protection but there are some devices that ignore or strip the copy protection.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Because it's recording the analog output of a box that can decode DRM'd streams.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 02-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

So one thing you can do is use an HDHomerun Prime to view/record the non protected channels and use the HDPVR to view/record the protected channels. You can then set the tuner priority so SageTV uses the HD primes first and only skips to the HDPVR if you wanna view/record protected channels. Works well for me...
Old 02-08-2017, 01:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomii View Post
So one thing you can do is use an HDHomerun Prime to view/record the non protected channels and use the HDPVR to view/record the protected channels. You can then set the tuner priority so SageTV uses the HD primes first and only skips to the HDPVR if you wanna view/record protected channels. Works well for me...
Or create a second line-up just for the HDPVR and only have the premium channels in it.

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData View Post
Or create a second line-up just for the HDPVR and only have the premium channels in it.
My hope was to get rid of the HDPVR/CableBox. If I can't do that then there's no point in adding the HDPVR.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
My hope was to get rid of the HDPVR/CableBox. If I can't do that then there's no point in adding the HDPVR.
I wouldn't say that, depending on the networks you use, an HDHR Prime can reduce the load on your HDPVR and cable box. A Prime would give you more tuners for the "half" of your channels that are copy freely, that's not "no point" if you ask me. It might be enough to save you a cable box rental.

Or heck it it might even eliminate it if you don't watch the Copy Once channels.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I wouldn't say that, depending on the networks you use, an HDHR Prime can reduce the load on your HDPVR and cable box. A Prime would give you more tuners for the "half" of your channels that are copy freely, that's not "no point" if you ask me. It might be enough to save you a cable box rental.

Or heck it it might even eliminate it if you don't watch the Copy Once channels.
I completely agree with this. Back when I used 2 STB's, I augmented them with a dual ClearQAM tuner that was able to get the locals from my cable company. Since cable programs often air the same episode many times and local channels usually once, this actually worked really well at the time. Once CableCARD tuners came out, I kinda went nuts though.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 02-08-2017, 07:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
I completely agree with this. Back when I used 2 STB's, I augmented them with a dual ClearQAM tuner that was able to get the locals from my cable company. Since cable programs often air the same episode many times and local channels usually once, this actually worked really well at the time. Once CableCARD tuners came out, I kinda went nuts though.
I hear ya. I currently have 2 Clear QAM tuners doing exactly that in addition to the HDPVR.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

So with DRM protected channels are you able to still pause/rewind?
Old 02-08-2017, 10:16 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Sage has no concept of DRM. If a recording has DRM, Sage can't play it.
If a channel has DRM, Sage can't record it, unless something else removes the DRM first.

If you are using an HD-PVR connected to the component video outputs of a cable box, then the cable box is tuning the digital channel, making sure you are authorized to view that channel, decoding the digital stream and outputting an analog signal with no copy protection or DRM. The HD-PVR grabs this unprotected analog signal and encodes it into a digital format. Regardless of whether the original signal had DRM or not, this new digital file produced by the HD-PVR will be free of DRM. So Sage can play it (fast forward, rewind, whatever), and have no idea whether or not the original channel was broadcast with DRM. This all happens in real time, so you can watch live tv too.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 02-09-2017, 11:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
No, Sage can't handle DRM at all.

What we're saying is that if half of your channels are Copy Freely, you can use an HDHR Prime for those, leaving your more limited supply of STB/HD-PVRs to record those fewer channels that are Copy Once.

Depending on the channels you watch, that might be enough that you don't need more STBs/HDPVRs.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
No, Sage can't handle DRM at all.

What we're saying is that if half of your channels are Copy Freely, you can use an HDHR Prime for those, leaving your more limited supply of STB/HD-PVRs to record those fewer channels that are Copy Once.

Depending on the channels you watch, that might be enough that you don't need more STBs/HDPVRs.
I understand now...thanks guys.

Tags
hdhr, hdpvr