SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:25 PM
Sage Icon

What Trumps Merit Priority?

I have an HVR-2250 and an HDHomeRun Prime tuner. The HVR-2250 has a merit priority of 5, the HDHomeRun Prime has a merit priority of 10. Two separate channel lineups pointing to the same cable provider. I've remapped a channel on each tuner to share a single channel entry in the program guide. When I watch that channel, Sage chooses the HVR-2250 repeatedly, although based on merit priority it should be choosing the HDHomeRun Prime. I can force it to use the HDHomeRun Prime by recording a different channel on the HVR-2250, which then forces Sage to use the HDHomeRun Prime when I watch the original channel. So I know both tuners are functioning, it's just Sage is picking a different source than I would have expected.

So what other attributes can trump merit priority? Does Sage select a native tuner over a network encoder?
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 04-17-2017, 08:22 AM
Sage Icon

Excellent question. I too, have seen this happen a few times on my server which has multiple lineups where I've merged the "same" channel on the different lineups so I don't see 3 different CBS HD channels in the EPG for instance.

Sure would be nice to see SageTV "honor" our merit settings on these kind of channels.

If I had to hazard a guess it might be different data in the EPG for the different lineups even though they are the same channel. Then something in the data makes one lineup/tuner look better to the scheduler in SageTV
Old 04-17-2017, 10:14 AM
Sage

There's lots of factors that go into tuner selection, and merit is the last thing that is considered....if you posted a log file and your Sage.properties file from when you reproduce this I could probably decipher why it made a certain decision.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
There's lots of factors that go into tuner selection, and merit is the last thing that is considered....if you posted a log file and your Sage.properties file from when you reproduce this I could probably decipher why it made a certain decision.
I'll keep that in mind, but for me at least, it happens pretty rarely.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:13 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
Thanks, I'll try to post the files this weekend.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 04-29-2017, 05:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

I am also having some trouble with 2 HD PVR tuners not recording on the right PVR. These 2 PVR's are hooked up to my 2 dishnetwork recievers. Tuner # 1 is hooked to my second reciever for the kitchen and bedroom. Tuner # 2 is hooked to my main reciever. Since I upgraded to V9 Tuner 2 seams to record most shows. I have changed the merit values on both of these tuners and it seems to make no difference. Is there any other tweak that may help. Does it make any difference what order the tuners are in, in sagetv properties? Should they be together in sage properties or do they need other tuners in between them or does it make no difference?
Wayne
GIGABYTE B560 HD3 MB | Intel I5 6 core CPU | 500 GB WD SSD system drive | (2) 2TB Western Digital SSD drives pooled | 16 GB DDR ram | UHD 630 on board graphics| Win 10 64 bit | SageTV 9 | (5) Sage HD TV extenders | (1) HDHomeRun quad tuner HD OTA | (1) HDHomeRun Dual tuner HD OTA | (2) 1512 HD-PVR2s recording from 2 Dish Network VIP 211K's with Uirt ir control | MX-700 Home theater remote | 60" LED TV | (4) 32" Lcd TV's
Old 05-01-2017, 08:00 AM
Sage Icon

Been awhile but padding was something that made it difficult to predict which tuner would actually be used. The simplest solution if you just want reverse the current priority would be to change the inputs going into the HDPVRs. (And remember to adjust the blaster\http channel change as well.)

This solution is of course an Alternative Fact.

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

What I was seeing happen and able to duplicate after a lot of tries, was that I could do a test and do a live view, Tuner 1 would come on as it was supposed to do. But when I done a scheduled recording tuner 2 would come on. I don't know if anyone has seen this before or not. I tried more numbers in between the merit values and higher numbers in the merit value. Finally I switched the merit value between the 2 encoders and that has made it work. It does not matter if I do live view or a scheduled a recording both now bring on tuner 1 like I want it to and then tuner 2 if needed for another recording.
Wayne
GIGABYTE B560 HD3 MB | Intel I5 6 core CPU | 500 GB WD SSD system drive | (2) 2TB Western Digital SSD drives pooled | 16 GB DDR ram | UHD 630 on board graphics| Win 10 64 bit | SageTV 9 | (5) Sage HD TV extenders | (1) HDHomeRun quad tuner HD OTA | (1) HDHomeRun Dual tuner HD OTA | (2) 1512 HD-PVR2s recording from 2 Dish Network VIP 211K's with Uirt ir control | MX-700 Home theater remote | 60" LED TV | (4) 32" Lcd TV's