SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Android TV ROM on Raspberry PI3 -- any takers?

https://androidcommunity.com/android...pi-3-20170425/

It would be interesting to see well this works, if at all. I'm not up for the task, but maybe there are some more adventurous people in the forums
Old 04-25-2017, 03:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

From what ive read the ROM currently doesnt support GPU acceleration for video playback, neither it runs Youtube correctly.

Even thou might give it a try and report back on the weekend, I got plenty of Raspberry 3 around me

Old 04-26-2017, 09:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Pretty sweet. I may have to get one now. Haven't really had a reason before now.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:38 AM
SageTVaholic

I have some spare RPi3s so I will give it a try as well when I have the chance.

The article mentions that it will run Kodi but I don't see what the big deal is with that since people have been doing that on the Pi for years with OpenElec, etc or even RasPlex. Until they get the DRM issue solved where you can use other streaming video apps like Netflix and Youtube then this has less utility.

Having an RPi is very hand - I use them to do all sorts of things that work better on Linux, including various server functions under Apache such as acting as a Gateway to/from my Control4 Home Automation system. And the Pi 3 is pretty fast at doing most things, especially if you are primarily using the CLI and editing text files using an editor like Geany.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:34 AM
Sage User

So this is quite an old post but...I tried the mini client on a Pi 3 last night to no avail.

The interface works well enough, but no videos play. It just gives a full screen of lines. The time counts correctly though. Decoder issue?

Tried all the different options I could find in the miniclient configuration, but nothing changes. It does indicate the software encoder is being used when enabling the notification option.

I'm pretty savvy on the PC side of things, but I'm definitely a newb on the Linux/Android/otherstuff so I haven't the foggiest idea if this is worth troubleshooting futher, or if its better to blame the Android TV Pi build and walk away.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:53 AM
SageTVaholic

I think the problem is still what Jabroni described in post 2.

I love playing around with Rasbperry Pis, I have about 7 of them of various versions (Pi1 Model A and Model B, Pi2, Pi3, Pi ZeroW) but this doesn't look like it is going to be solved.

You are better off buying a MiBox AndroidTV device for $69 at Walmart. Not much more than a Pi when you kit it out with a case, power supply, memory card, remote control, etc. And it can run SageTV, Plex, Kodi, Netflix, YouTube, etc.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:19 PM
SageTVaholic

I recently used an "up board" in a project recently. It's compatible with a pi, but it's intel based instead of ARM.

Now, you might get a native miniclient/placeshift running on this, not sure. I have a few lying around, but I don't have time to play with it (not for this, at least).

http://www.up-board.org/up/
Old 01-25-2018, 02:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Under what OS? Windows, Android or Linux? It looks like Android on the Up suffers from the same issue as Android on the Pi:
Quote:
I'm looking for use my Up Board with Android for an application that does video rendering and it's mandatory to have HW decode/encode. On Linux with Ubuntu 16 I've been able to do that with gstreamer without problems but while trying to do same with Android I'm not being able because there's no decoder/encoder available on Android MediaCodec API rather than google software decoder/encoder.

Any solution ?
And doesn't PS have issues with 1080i for playback - at least that is my experience. I wish this was fixed as otherwise PS is great. Far easier than client as you don't have to maintain stuff on the local PC like Fanart, plugins, etc.

There isn't a recent version of SageTV PS that runs on Linux, is there?
Old 01-25-2018, 08:19 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm pretty sure the placeshifter runs on linux. It's what I use for testing on my dev machine. So for the upboard, I was suggesting that maybe the existing linux placeshifter might work. I haven't tried android on the upboard, since I was using it as a linux device.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I'm pretty sure the placeshifter runs on linux. It's what I use for testing on my dev machine. So for the upboard, I was suggesting that maybe the existing linux placeshifter might work. I haven't tried android on the upboard, since I was using it as a linux device.
Where do you download the Linux PS version? For Win there is a separate PS file, but on the Linux downloads site I only see the JAR, plus client and server files in both .deb and .tar form.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Where do you download the Linux PS version? For Win there is a separate PS file, but on the Linux downloads site I only see the JAR, plus client and server files in both .deb and .tar form.
The sagetv-client_9.1.7_amd64.tar.gz is the linux placeshifter/client.