SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:31 PM
Sage User

SageTV v9 loses focus to Windows taskbar

Hi,

I've recently setup a new computer with SageTV v9. It's running fine- everything works. But the issue I'm seeing and what appears to be random times, I'm watching a video full screen (either a recorded TV show or a divx movie) and the Windows task bar will pop up in front of SageTV. I can still use the controls on my keyboard or MCE remote with SageTV, so maybe it's not a focus thing.

When it happens, It doesn't appear that any other program is running or there is an obvious notification popping up.

The other issue also with watching videos in full screen, is SageTV will pop out of full screen back to the menu. The video will still be playing, but just in the small upper right hand corner.

Has anyone experience this and how to correct it? I'll provide some screen shots as soon as it happens again.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:50 PM
Sage User

Attached is a screen shot of the second issue. I'm watching a recorded TV show. After a few minutes it exited full screen to the menu.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SageTV lose full screen.jpg (113.3 KB, 132 views)
Old 04-25-2017, 08:06 PM
Sage User

BTW, this is a fresh build- very basic. I installed Windows 7 64-bit, most recent Dell drivers, Windows updates, VLC player, then SageTV v9. I didn't install any additional codecs.

I'm using EVR as the video renderer. Everything else is default.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:09 AM
Sage Icon

The second issue will happen if you press the home button on your remote or keyboard. I think I remember someone posting here before about a particular brand of wireless keyboard sending that signal erroneously, but can't remember the exact details.

I see the first issue occasionally, but I think it's always an app notification of some sort that causes the Windows task bar to steal focus. Some notifications will go away on their own after a few seconds, so if you aren't actually looking at the screen when it happens, the notification may just disappear before you happen to look. Also, sometimes if you have another app running in the background, it's taskbar icon may just glow to get your attention about something without popping up a message.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 04-26-2017, 06:29 AM
Sage User

Ok, I'll take a look at that.

The Windows focus issue may have just been because the task bar was set to "hide automatically." I'm testing that now.

I did just switch to a new Logitech wireless keyboard. I'll switch to wired for a few days and see if it goes away.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:17 AM
Sage

If you set debug_input_events=true in your Sage.properties file (or SageClient.properties file if you're using service mode) then the log file will write out exactly what input events occurred that caused SageTV to create the internal 'Home' event.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:40 AM
Sage User

I've enabled it. Where does it log?
Old 05-01-2017, 07:43 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
The second issue will happen if you press the home button on your remote or keyboard. I think I remember someone posting here before about a particular brand of wireless keyboard sending that signal erroneously, but can't remember the exact details.

I see the first issue occasionally, but I think it's always an app notification of some sort that causes the Windows task bar to steal focus. Some notifications will go away on their own after a few seconds, so if you aren't actually looking at the screen when it happens, the notification may just disappear before you happen to look. Also, sometimes if you have another app running in the background, it's taskbar icon may just glow to get your attention about something without popping up a message.
BTW, it looks like it was the new keyboard (Logitech K410.) I'm still trying to figure out if it's the keyboard or a neighbor (I live in an apartment.) with a similar RF device.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:12 AM
Sage Icon

There is an app created for Kodi that I found useful with keeping an app on top. Although designed for Kodi you can set it up to run and maintain focus with other apps. "Launcher4Kodi"

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=136798

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:54 AM
Sage

The log files are called sagetv_x.txt with x being a number and they are in the SageTV folder. If you are running a recent V9 install, then the overall logging is on by default, so that file should be there.