SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Server Abruptly Stopped, Can't Restart

I was watching Better Call Saul on my HD300 when it froze half-way through the recording. Restarted the HD300. It couldn't find the SageTV Server.

Checked the server machine. Task Manager showed the SageTV service as stopped. Tried to start it and got: "Unable to Start Service. The operation could not be completed. The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

Rebooted. No help. I can run the SageTV client on the server machine and it performs normally. Checked to see that it showed the SageTV server as enabled. It said it was.

Ran SageTV Service Control. Showed SageTV service as "Enabled". Showed SageTV Service State as "Stopped". Clicked "Start" Got the following: "Error. The service cannot be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

Rebooted and repeated above several times. No help.

Windows Update History shows no new OS updates installed for a week. (Updated to Cumulative Update for Windows10 Version 1703 on 5/9/17 but that didn't affect SageTV.)

Did a repair install of SageTV. No help.

Thanks for reading. Can anyone suggest how I should proceed from here?

-------------------------------------------------------------
Intel i5, Win10 64bit, Sage V9.0.14.568, OpenDCT 4.49, Java 1.8.0_66, HDHRPrime
Old 05-17-2017, 04:51 AM
SageTVaholic

I would post the sagetv_0.txt log file... it could be that sagetv is starting (trying) but is then failing... so the log file might show something.

As the SageTV Service user, can you just start sagetv by double-clicking it?
Old 05-17-2017, 07:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Here's the Sage log. Hope it's meaningful to someone.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetv_0.txt (278.7 KB, 94 views)
Old 05-17-2017, 08:14 PM
Sage Expert

Windows firewall?

Nevermind. Reread it. If service won't start....

Last edited by samgreco; 05-17-2017 at 08:15 PM. Reason: I'm an idioit
Old 05-18-2017, 04:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Everything looks really good until something calls System.exit() and starts a clean shutdown. It's completely unclear what exactly is initiating it. I don't think I spotted any plugins loading, but the only one I know of that can make this happen is SageTCPServer. It's not much of a lead, but if you have that, I would remove it for now.

I see the weather plugin failed to load which I don't think I've ever seen and I don't see any other plugins after that. If you have a bunch of other plugins, this is likely the start of what is wrong, but without more detailed logging I only speculate.

Code:
Wed 5/17 17:43:13.105 [SageTV@16e593c] LOADED PLUGINS=[SageTVPlugin[googleweather state=Failed name=Google Weather version=2.0.3 type=Library desc=A weather support library that is used by SageTV's updated weather system to retrieve weather information from Weather Underground. author=Opus4 screenshots=null videos=null modified=7/1/2015 installed=5/2/2017 resPath= webpages=null implementation= desktopOnly=false serverOnly=false OS=Win,Linux,Mac dependencies=null packages=null]]
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 05-18-2017, 08:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
Everything looks really good until something calls System.exit() and starts a clean shutdown. It's completely unclear what exactly is initiating it. I don't think I spotted any plugins loading, but the only one I know of that can make this happen is SageTCPServer. It's not much of a lead, but if you have that, I would remove it for now.

I see the weather plugin failed to load which I don't think I've ever seen and I don't see any other plugins after that. If you have a bunch of other plugins, this is likely the start of what is wrong, but without more detailed logging I only speculate.

Code:
Wed 5/17 17:43:13.105 [SageTV@16e593c] LOADED PLUGINS=[SageTVPlugin[googleweather state=Failed name=Google Weather version=2.0.3 type=Library desc=A weather support library that is used by SageTV's updated weather system to retrieve weather information from Weather Underground. author=Opus4 screenshots=null videos=null modified=7/1/2015 installed=5/2/2017 resPath= webpages=null implementation= desktopOnly=false serverOnly=false OS=Win,Linux,Mac dependencies=null packages=null]]
I think the exit call may be coming from the Service handler. Windows can call "shutdown" on a service and the launcher code turns that into an exit call.

The question is why does windows want to stop the device again? It said it wasn't responding.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

I wonder if a stray process is running in the background.

If you have not done so already, check Process Explorer to see what is running.

If you don't have Process Explorer, you can get it for free from Microsoft. You can find it by googling it.

Process Explorer is like Taskmgr on steroids. It will tell you the details of what is running and which tasks are subordinate to other tasks. It may help. Maybe not. Won't hurt to try.
All in lovely Drexel Hill, PA
Old 05-18-2017, 10:58 AM
Sage

Err....from the logs it looks like you navigated to the Exit selection and the UI and selected Exit.

Wed 5/17 17:44:08.663 [AWT-EventQueue-0@d19699] Opening sub menu via select: xSubmenuExit
Wed 5/17 17:44:10.743 [AWT-EventQueue-0@d19699] processOptionsMenu optionsMenu=default:OPUS4A-174808|OptionsMenu:Confirm Exit SageTV

Although I'm guessing this log file is from when you ran SageTV in standalone mode and not via service mode. That means no SageTV log is probably being produced when you try to run it in service mode, which means it's not even getting to the point where it launches the JVM. Is there anything in the Windows Event Viewer for why the service exited improperly?
Old 05-18-2017, 11:06 AM
Administrator

I had a recent PC crash that left garbage at the end of the properties file & SageTV wouldn't start, exiting w/o touching the log. Clearing out the garbage from the properties file fixed it. I think non-service mode let a java error dialog get shown & that gave me a clue.

Enabling the console window might show an error message too.

Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Narflex is correct. To generate a manageable size log I exited SageTV then restarted it, then exited it after a couple of minutes. Sorry if this was too brief a time period to be useful.

Sage is working normally again, but only as the result of a more or less random series of interventions on my part. This is how it went down:

I went to Services and tried to start the SageTV server service from there. After several tries the service started. However this crashed the SageTV client on the same machine--"SageTV has stopped working" message displayed. Restarted the SageTV client and it started up with the first-time use configuration screen--e.g., "Pick your language". I had to go completely through the first time configuration process and then it appeared to work normally. I then checked the SageTV server which was now stopped. I restarted it through services again. Got a message that SageTV (i.e., the client) had stopped working and was closing. Re-opened the SageTV client and again got the first-time configuration screen. Closed this and went to Control Panel "Programs" and did a repair install on SageTV.

Reopened the SageTV client and it was working normally. It was back to the way it was before without having to do any configurations. Moreover the SageTV server service was running and the HD300 could see it and was functioning normally. Very puzzling as I had done at two prior repair installs that didn't fix the problem. No idea why this one did work.

I've got my fingers crossed as I have no idea what happened originally to begin the problem. I had checked Windows Event Viewer when the problem first happened and it didn't show anything. Good tip about Process Explorer, I'll make use of it in the future.

I'm thinking if it happens again the best strategy might be to uninstall SageTV completely then do a new install. I understand that if I back-up my wiz.bin and sage properties before uninstalling and if I restore them to the new Sage folder after the reinstall I won't lose my settings. Hope this is true.

Thanks everyone for your help. It it recurs I'll try the debugging suggestions above and post an update.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
... It's completely unclear what exactly is initiating it. I don't think I spotted any plugins loading, but the only one I know of that can make this happen is SageTCPServer.
Did you check to see if that plugin is installed, and then disable it? It's really starting to sound like an issue that occurs with that plugin and client connections.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Weather is the only plug-in installed.