SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:04 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
Do we know of any specific reason why it's not an option to define default new properties for new extenders? I imagine this could be accomplished by having a special file that when it exists is copied any time a new extender connects. If that's viable, then we could also have some option to clone one extender configuration across all or a subset of other extender configurations.

I know new extenders isn't an every day thing, but it would make setting up new hardware a little less work and the second option would make changes you want everywhere a little easier.
I wish we could clone you.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 05-25-2017, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Well, there are Sage.properties.defaults and RemoteClients.properties.defaults files already, but they are part of the installer & could get overwritten if the user modifies them, I think.

And, extenders/placeshifter clients inherit properties from the server's property file.

Beyond that, it probably was just never a priority or no time available to add a more advanced settings copy feature.

Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Unfortunately, no. If I need to set up a new extender, I'll usually just copy over the entire properties file to be sure to get all customizations - menu settings, commands, etc.

Andy
Yeah, I figured I'd just have to copy them over. Problem for me is, this isn't new clients, it's existing ones. I was messing with setting up the views on Placeshifter and now I need to migrate those views to my "production" extenders.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Yeah, I figured I'd just have to copy them over. Problem for me is, this isn't new clients, it's existing ones. I was messing with setting up the views on Placeshifter and now I need to migrate those views to my "production" extenders.
Gemstone can.. ;-)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 05-25-2017, 08:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Well, there are Sage.properties.defaults and RemoteClients.properties.defaults files already, but they are part of the installer & could get overwritten if the user modifies them, I think.

And, extenders/placeshifter clients inherit properties from the server's property file.

Beyond that, it probably was just never a priority or no time available to add a more advanced settings copy feature.

Andy
I knew about those files, but like you suggested they probably get overwritten since the installer puts them there. It sounds like we would need some kind of an advanced merge feature to make this work. I never really looked at how this works as a whole. I assumed that most of the miniclient properties were in their own properties files and didn't have much dependence on Sage.properties other than for server specific properties that apply more generally and may have little to no impact on the actual UI for the miniclient.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 05-25-2017, 09:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Gemstone has a feature where you can export and import your system setup. It is an option from the main menu. It works pretty well but you still may need to make a few tweaks, especially if you are moving to a new system and you are using folder filtering and your media library folders have changed names. But it doesn't work for customizations that you make to the stock SageTV views, such as the SageTV TV view, it only works for the Gemstone views.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Gemstone has a feature where you can export and import your system setup. It is an option from the main menu. It works pretty well but you still may need to make a few tweaks, especially if you are moving to a new system and you are using folder filtering and your media library folders have changed names. But it doesn't work for customizations that you make to the stock SageTV views, such as the SageTV TV view, it only works for the Gemstone views.
I use that feature in Gemstone. Otherwise my customizations would be unbearable to sync up between extenders. It always freezes everything up for me when I try to import on a full client. The UI completely stops responding. It hasn't been important enough for me to look into why, but that's the only place I have seen it fail.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Gemstone can.. ;-)
Too bad I don't really like Gemstone. It's just too, "much" I guess. I don't like how it changes how the stock recordings menu works, and some of the other stuff like back/up level too...
Old 05-25-2017, 12:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I use that feature in Gemstone. Otherwise my customizations would be unbearable to sync up between extenders. It always freezes everything up for me when I try to import on a full client. The UI completely stops responding. It hasn't been important enough for me to look into why, but that's the only place I have seen it fail.
I had that issue too - I spoke to jusjoken about it. There seems to be a bug that only occurs when you try to use a server version of the config file. Copy a version of the config file to your client PC and then do the Import with the file on the client. When you choose server it just hangs there forever with a spinning circle.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Too bad I don't really like Gemstone. It's just too, "much" I guess. I don't like how it changes how the stock recordings menu works, and some of the other stuff like back/up level too...
G2 doesn't mess with that stuff but certainly not ready yet....
Old 05-26-2017, 06:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The more I play around with Carny, the more intrigued I've become with intelligent recordings. My hang up is that I don't like the idea of having all of these extraneous recordings polluting recordings I definitely wanted to record. If I enabled them on my own setup, I would set it up so that only my intended recordings would be displayed by default and I would have a different view for intelligent recordings. They could easily cross that barrier if I made an IR a favorite. I don't mind the idea of having some extra recordings that might interest me already recorded (especially since they are the first to be auto-deleted), but I do mind seeing them when I'm looking for something I actually intended to record.
IMHO Intelligent recordings is one of the best features of Sage. When you first turn it on it takes a few days to "train" it by marking things "Don't Like" but once that is done it works really well and doesn't cause much clutter because what it records are things you are really interested in

One thing I didn't like was that IR would often record tons of episodes of a show it thought you might like and this took up a lot of recording space. To solve that issue I wrote the "Limit Intelligent Recordings" plugin where you can specify the maximum number of shows to keep.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
One thing I didn't like was that IR would often record tons of episodes of a show it thought you might like and this took up a lot of recording space. To solve that issue I wrote the "Limit Intelligent Recordings" plugin where you can specify the maximum number of shows to keep.
I'm guessing that changes the recording limit on the IR agents directly?