SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Android Miniclient - problem with screen image

I have 2 SageTV servers - both version 9.1.7 - one in Windows 7x64 and the other in a VirtualBox Linux guest (Linux Mint 18). Both are using Java 1.8.0_151.

From my android Oneplus 2 phone on my own network, the miniclient connects fine and the image is great on the Linux side. On the Windows side, however, the opening screen image splits into 4 sections - each one a copy - divided vertically. (e.g., the SageTV menu on the left repeats 3 more times). Once within on the menu options, it's ok.

A similar mess happens when I try to connect using LocatorID - username/password repeated 4 times and the screen image a jumble of overlays making it impossible to login.

I'm attaching 3 images - the good Linux, the bad Windows and the bad placehifter login.

Has anyone any idea how I can begin to try to fix this?
Attached Images
File Type: png Linux.png (277.8 KB, 178 views)
File Type: png Windows.png (80.8 KB, 171 views)
File Type: png login_screen.png (244.1 KB, 166 views)
Old 11-06-2017, 02:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Is the Windows VM considered to be on the same network as well, or, do you need a placeshifter user to connect to it. I honestly can't figure out a reason why it would be doing what you are showing.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:53 PM
Sage Expert

Are all the UI/skin options for the clients set the same on both servers? How about trying to copy the contents of one properties file (on the good server) to the correct properties file for the client on the Windows system?
Old 11-06-2017, 07:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the idea - I had tried that with no luck. But your suggestion made me think of trying different user interfaces and I finally had luck with Diamond instead of standard. I get the opening screen with no repeats - a great improvement! so thanks!

I had managed earlier to get in with LocatorID through the messy login screen - I could see the word LOGIN so tried pressing that and it asks for username and then password so I got in. Interestingly, since I started the Diamond UI, I no longer get the placeshifter login screen????

The other puzzle is that I seem to be always connecting to the Windows version using the Linux LocatorID but I just don't know enough about networking and routers to get that straightened out. At least now I can use this so massive progress.

Thanks again for your suggestion,
Old 11-06-2017, 08:34 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt4242 View Post
The other puzzle is that I seem to be always connecting to the Windows version using the Linux LocatorID but I just don't know enough about networking and routers to get that straightened out. At least now I can use this so massive progress.

Thanks again for your suggestion,
Your router has an "internet" IP address (WAN) that the locator service finds. Inside your router you have to select the local machine to receive specific ports. It's called "port forwarding". You tell the router to direct 31099 to the local LAN IP of the machine with the Sage server you want to respond.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have been trying all the configurations I've read about for the past few days. The internet IP address you mention - is that the same as the one I use to access the router? If so, I had forwarded port 31099 a couple of days ago to the specific address of my Linux server (as shown in an app - Fing - that I have on my phone). But it still goes to the windows version. Is that because Linux is in a vBox within Windows?

I have a vpn service and I've tried with that off (changing a set DNS servier within IPv4 properties to an automatic DNS server address). Neither way seems to make much difference.

I don't know if this is at all relevant but within the config of both servers, I am unable to automatically configure the placeshifter location - always get the messages that no UPnP device found Iit is on in my router). Within windows it tells me to manually forward 31099 to the address I'd forwarded it to already. Within Linux it says to forward it to IP 0.0.0.0.

Probably none of this will help diagnosing my problems but I thought I'd write all the things that just don't make sense.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt4242 View Post
I have been trying all the configurations I've read about for the past few days. The internet IP address you mention - is that the same as the one I use to access the router? If so, I had forwarded port 31099 a couple of days ago to the specific address of my Linux server (as shown in an app - Fing - that I have on my phone). But it still goes to the windows version. Is that because Linux is in a vBox within Windows?

I have a vpn service and I've tried with that off (changing a set DNS servier within IPv4 properties to an automatic DNS server address). Neither way seems to make much difference.

I don't know if this is at all relevant but within the config of both servers, I am unable to automatically configure the placeshifter location - always get the messages that no UPnP device found Iit is on in my router). Within windows it tells me to manually forward 31099 to the address I'd forwarded it to already. Within Linux it says to forward it to IP 0.0.0.0.

Probably none of this will help diagnosing my problems but I thought I'd write all the things that just don't make sense.

The "Internet" (external) IP is the one seen by the outside world. Use a browser on the server machine and Google for "what is my IP". That is the one the locator service needs to use and/or you need to use to connect. I suspect both the Windows host and the Linux VM will report the same external IP.

You likely need to setup port forwarding in Vbox as well to pass the Host traffic on to the Linux VM. Read here.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Many, many thanks to Stuckless (for his help with my current problem), wnjj (for his help and patience in explaining networks and IP etc to me) and to TwistedMelon for his suggestion. I am now able to access my Linux server using the LocatorID. The windows image is still messed up but I don't need it now that I have the Linux version - the problem had been my lack of knowledge of networking, routers and port forwarding.

Love the miniclient! thanks again