SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Android miniclient keypress recognition issues, menu text garbled on 1.3.4

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased the Nvidia Shield TV to see if it can replace a small HTPC Win10 machine I've been using as a client.

Definitely the playback is better, much smoother. However, here are some issues I've noticed along with some screen captures.

1. I'm using a wireless USB keyboard, the Logitech K400. Some of the keys I'm trying to assign do not register in SageTV's command settings. I enabled the keypress toast debug, so you can see that with both the insert and delete keys, the key is pressed, miniclient knows a key is pressed, but the server doesn't do anything with it. It detects insert as "insert" and delete as "forward_del".

This is with miniclient versions 1.2.8, 1.3.0, and 1.3.4.

I could have *sworn* that with my first install on v1.3.4 and some fiddling, after setting within the Shield Android settings that the keyboard was a "US keyboard," (see photo) that delete and insert were recognized. Due to other issues (detailed below) I reverted to an earlier version and the insert/delete key have been unrecognizable ever since, even when going back to v1.3.4.

2. On the latest version 1.3.4, I often get a lot of garbled text within the menus. On 1.3.0, this rarely happens. On 1.2.8, the garbled text is less, but also present.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg del not recog.jpg (389.0 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg insert not recog.jpg (390.7 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg keyboard setting.jpg (333.6 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg 1.2.8 garbled text.jpg (429.4 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg 1.3.4 garbled text.jpg (474.3 KB, 182 views)

Server: SageTV 9.2.6x64 on Win10 x64 Home, i7-2600, 8gb RAM, OpenDCT, Java 1.8, 20TB storage
Display: EVGA GT 1030 fanless to Sony LED TV via DVI-HDMI
Capture Devices: HDHR Prime for Comcast, HDHR Dual for OTA (retired)
Clients: Nvidia Shield Android miniclient
Old 11-17-2018, 04:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo View Post
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased the Nvidia Shield TV to see if it can replace a small HTPC Win10 machine I've been using as a client.

Definitely the playback is better, much smoother. However, here are some issues I've noticed along with some screen captures.

1. I'm using a wireless USB keyboard, the Logitech K400. Some of the keys I'm trying to assign do not register in SageTV's command settings. I enabled the keypress toast debug, so you can see that with both the insert and delete keys, the key is pressed, miniclient knows a key is pressed, but the server doesn't do anything with it. It detects insert as "insert" and delete as "forward_del".

This is with miniclient versions 1.2.8, 1.3.0, and 1.3.4.

I could have *sworn* that with my first install on v1.3.4 and some fiddling, after setting within the Shield Android settings that the keyboard was a "US keyboard," (see photo) that delete and insert were recognized. Due to other issues (detailed below) I reverted to an earlier version and the insert/delete key have been unrecognizable ever since, even when going back to v1.3.4.

2. On the latest version 1.3.4, I often get a lot of garbled text within the menus. On 1.3.0, this rarely happens. On 1.2.8, the garbled text is less, but also present.
So, for the miniclient, each separate key has to be explicitly mapped to sagetv key/command. This is tedious, but, unfortunately there is no other way around it. So, I will have to map those and put out a new release... just not sure when

As for the screen issues... have you set the memory options in the miniclient setting page. I would max out the memory there and see if that makes a difference. I have never seen those kinds issues myself, and I run gemstone and the default stv quite a bit, especially for testing. But, I also max out the memory.

Also for the shield I put it in "performance" mode in the shield android settings.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks boss for the clarification!

I'll up the memory in the settings and see if that removes the text garbling.

Too bad each unique key needs to be set manually =(

Server: SageTV 9.2.6x64 on Win10 x64 Home, i7-2600, 8gb RAM, OpenDCT, Java 1.8, 20TB storage
Display: EVGA GT 1030 fanless to Sony LED TV via DVI-HDMI
Capture Devices: HDHR Prime for Comcast, HDHR Dual for OTA (retired)
Clients: Nvidia Shield Android miniclient
Old 11-18-2018, 10:10 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
As for the screen issues... have you set the memory options in the miniclient setting page. I would max out the memory there and see if that makes a difference. I have never seen those kinds issues myself, and I run gemstone and the default stv quite a bit, especially for testing. But, I also max out the memory.
are you referring to Memory Image Cache being maxed to 192mb, or the Application Available memory (which behaves as if you can change it but doesn't actually change anything unless I'm doing something wrong?)
Old 11-18-2018, 11:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrcp2000 View Post
are you referring to Memory Image Cache being maxed to 192mb, or the Application Available memory (which behaves as if you can change it but doesn't actually change anything unless I'm doing something wrong?)
The memory image cache, is what I was referring to.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:43 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
The memory image cache, is what I was referring to.
Interesting. I have the font corruption problem on occasion and have experimented with changing this. I swear it got worse when I made it bigger?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @4025 MHz, 8G G.Skill Performance
DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RS Plus; SilverStone Decathlon DA1000 (died - back to an ancient enermax)
eVGA 7900 GT KO RoHS -- Zalman VP900CU Cooling
Synology NAS 22TB