SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:00 PM
Sage Expert

Remote for Shield?

Is anyone using a 3rd party remote with the Shield? The Mini client on the Shield is looking pretty good, but the lack of buttons on the remote is maddening after using the Sage remotes for years.

--John
Old 10-26-2020, 08:01 PM
Sage Expert

Bah, sorry, this probably should have gone in the hardware topic but now I don't know how to move it.

--John
Old 10-26-2020, 08:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

Logitech Harmony Hub + companion remote - has bluetooth - works well with Shield and FireTV - faster than using IR remote + Flirc
Old 10-26-2020, 08:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwegas View Post
Bah, sorry, this probably should have gone in the hardware topic but now I don't know how to move it.

--John
I ordered a couple FLIRC and use remotes I had laying around.... My household breaks too many of those cheap remotes ... So I ordered a pack of old DIRECTV Remotes unbreakable.

Last edited by nyplayer; 10-26-2020 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:06 AM
Sage Icon

EDIT - Below is my original post. I realized after rereading this that people are asking about using SageTV from within the Shield device. While I do use the app on the Shield, the shortcuts I mentioned are actually programmed for my HD-300's. I really need to look into getting the same shortcuts working when using the app on Shield, but I have not actually done this yet. Sorry for the confusion!

Original Post:
I also use the Harmony Hub with touchscreen remote. It works great.

I have even programmed shortcuts on the touchscreen to make it easier to use. Single tap takes you back to watching the show (ie gets you out of menus, guide, etc); double tap takes you to the recordings list; long hold brings up the delete menu; swipe right or left will fast-forward or reverse 10 seconds and swipe right or left with a long hold at the end will fast-forward or reverse 2.5 minutes (150 seconds). This means 90% of my needs are handled by the touchscreen so I don't have to even look at the remote. About the only thing not handled by the short cuts are getting into the guide (but there is a dedicated "guide" button on the remote) and the directional keys (also dedicated buttons).
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all

Last edited by sic0048; 11-02-2020 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:14 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone!

--John
Old 10-31-2020, 07:19 AM
Sage Aficionado

I, also, use a Harmony w/Hub and there is a trick to it -- the Shield Remote uses Bluetooth rather than IR. I don't remember exactly how to do it but a call to the Harmony Help desk led me through it. I have done it a couple times since without the Help Desk.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:45 PM
Sage Icon

I've just moved to a shield as my primary client. I'm using my TV remote via HDMI CEC, and have just up/down/left/right/ select & back, and it mostly works fine. The one thing I miss is the secondary left/right for the longer skip.

Currently in playback on the android client, up/down does nothing. I was wondering if there is a way to remap up/down to long skips during playback only? I tried remapping in the config part of the client, and enabling smart buttons (or whatever its called), but the remapping was in effect on the gui, as well as playback. And that meant I could not navigate the gui.

Is there some config option that I'm missing?
Client: Nvidia Shield (HD300, HD100 in storage)
Old 11-01-2020, 10:29 PM
Sage Expert

Telecore,
I'm looking at using one of the Harmony remotes for the "main" TV area, and FLIRCs for the other less used places that have HD300s.

I found back last year in this post you were talking about different remote options:
https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...80&postcount=5

How did you map the buttons like "Play", etc with the FLIRC? Which FLIRC "controller" ("Media Keys", "Full Keyboard", or something else?) did you use? Did you have to mix and match the FLIRC controllers to get all the keys working as you expected?

I was able to use the PS4 "controller" in FLIRC to map many of the keys, but some don't seem to match well. Like the CH+ and CH- both seem to map to a single "Up" when in a list, not page up/down.

--John
Old 11-02-2020, 09:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Currently I am using this remote with my shield(s) and other Android Players. Works very well but has some anomalies you will need to get used to such as it behaving a little differently if the Air Mouse is enabled or not. It is also very inexpensive and has a full keyboard on the back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-02-2020, 09:57 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomii View Post
Currently I am using this remote with my shield(s) and other Android Players. Works very well but has some anomalies you will need to get used to such as it behaving a little differently if the Air Mouse is enabled or not. It is also very inexpensive and has a full keyboard on the back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks, that is a neat remote! Sort of weird that is has an Internet Explorer button!

--John
Old 11-02-2020, 11:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Telecore,
I'm looking at using one of the Harmony remotes for the "main" TV area, and FLIRCs for the other less used places that have HD300s.

I found back last year in this post you were talking about different remote options:
https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...80&postcount=5

How did you map the buttons like "Play", etc with the FLIRC? Which FLIRC "controller" ("Media Keys", "Full Keyboard", or something else?) did you use? Did you have to mix and match the FLIRC controllers to get all the keys working as you expected?

I was able to use the PS4 "controller" in FLIRC to map many of the keys, but some don't seem to match well. Like the CH+ and CH- both seem to map to a single "Up" when in a list, not page up/down.

--John
Take a look at the attached PDF - I believe it is up to date - green keys are mapped to the Flirc/ShieldTV - pink mapped to either CM7003 DVR, computer media keys or full keyboard as noted
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Harmony Remote Setup for SageTV.pdf (417.2 KB, 274 views)

Last edited by Telecore; 11-02-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:13 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecore View Post
Take a look at the attached PDF - I believe it is up to date - green keys are mapped to the Flirc/ShieldTV - pink mapped to either CM7003 DVR, computer media keys or full keyboard as noted
That diagram is very helpful, thanks!

--John
Old 11-12-2020, 05:21 AM
Sage Expert

I finally found a remote that works with the Shield 2017 model on Amazon. https://amzn.to/38CzSGC I bought two of these last winter. I plugged in the dongle into the back of the shield and the remote just works. I do occasionally think the shield goes to sleep or something if left unused and then this remote has a hard time to wake it back up. Also, sometimes after watching a couple hours the sagetv android app interface on the shield goes a bit crazy and I have to power cycle the shield. I am not sure if the remote or the sagetv app are the culprit for these. I don't seem to have any issues on the hulu app or others with this remote. (its not the remote doing this, the new shield remote does it too)

In any case, this remote is 1000% better than the original remote that came with the shield tv. -Bill

I have switched to the new shield remote and it works MUCH better than this. See further down this thread for its specifics. I also added thoughts after two months of its use. 2/17/21 -Bill

Last edited by bigbill; 02-17-2021 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:00 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I finally found a remote that works with the Shield 2017 model on Amazon. https://amzn.to/38CzSGC
Thanks, I'll check that one out too!

--John
Old 11-13-2020, 12:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks, I'll check that one out too!

--John
I just got this one from Amazon am able to control TV Shield/FireTV Soundbar etc ... Even switches inputs on TV. Even number keys work ... learning curve.

https://www.amazon.com/SofaBaton-U1-...0-a2ffae3a273c

Last edited by nyplayer; 11-13-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:23 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I just got this one from Amazon am able to control TV Shield/FireTV Soundbar etc ... Even switches inputs on TV. Even number keys work ... learning curve.

https://www.amazon.com/SofaBaton-U1-...0-a2ffae3a273c
Did you have to do any special programming or learning on that one, or did it just work with the Shield?

--John
Old 11-13-2020, 04:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Did you have to do any special programming or learning on that one, or did it just work with the Shield?

--John
They have codes for the Nvidia Shield?fireTV etx .. ... You use a an APP to set it up.. You can setup different devices on it . I have my Google TV FireTV and Shield setup on it. It is like a harmony but a lot cheaper and easier to set up.... Bluetooth and IR. It can control up to 15 Devices.

https://youtu.be/JR72-WDsOJ8

Last edited by nyplayer; 11-13-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:46 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
They have codes for the Nvidia Shield?fireTV etx .. ... You use a an APP to set it up.. You can setup different devices on it . I have my Google TV FireTV and Shield setup on it. It is like a harmony but a lot cheaper and easier to set up.... Bluetooth and IR. It can control up to 15 Devices.

Thanks!

--John
Old 11-18-2020, 10:29 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:

nyplayer,
Did you also program this for any HD300s? There are some SageTV entries in it's DB, but the "SageTV STB" didn't work and the "SageTV DVD" only sort of worked.

I used the "learn" feature to create a new SageTV device. It works ok but the paging when doing CH+/- overshoots somewhat. Also, strangely, the learned OK button works EVERYWHERE except on the main screen of the HD 300 when it is in "standalone" mode. Normally I don't see this but on my "test" HD 300 it doesn't auto-connect.

--John