SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:01 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I just got this one from Amazon am able to control TV Shield/FireTV Soundbar etc ... Even switches inputs on TV. Even number keys work ... learning curve.

https://www.amazon.com/SofaBaton-U1-...0-a2ffae3a273c
This is the remote I have been using since the summer. Highly recommend it.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 12-28-2020, 11:30 PM
Sage Expert

I just bought 2 of these and have been using them for one week. They work well! https://amzn.to/3nVdWLq
Old 12-29-2020, 12:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergq View Post
This is the remote I have been using since the summer. Highly recommend it.
Yep love it hit 1 button and I can Switch Between FireTV Shield Roku. Number channels input works.

https://www.amazon.com/SofaBaton-U1-...0-a2ffae3a273c
Old 12-29-2020, 12:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I just bought 2 of these and have been using them for one week. They work well! https://amzn.to/3nVdWLq
That is ok if you are only using the Shield the SofaBaton controls up to 15 devices.
Old 12-29-2020, 12:54 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
That is ok if you are only using the Shield the SofaBaton controls up to 15 devices.
I just read online that I can program this remote to do other things. I just need to find the document that explains it. All I saw was you can program what different press types (long press, short press and maybe quick press ) can do. Nothing about that capability came in the small instruction book with the package. -Bill
Old 12-29-2020, 01:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I just read online that I can program this remote to do other things. I just need to find the document that explains it. All I saw was you can program what different press types (long press, short press and maybe quick press ) can do. Nothing about that capability came in the small instruction book with the package. -Bill
I have that Remote on my ShieldTV tube and what it does it can control a soundbar or TV volume and turn on of your TV. That is about it. It is a great Shield remote.

Last edited by nyplayer; 12-29-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:43 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I have that Remote on my ShieldTV tube and what it does it can control a soundbar or TV volume and turn on of your TV. That is about it. It is a great Shield remote.
I am using a Harmony Hub now. Maybe I will have to switch.

Wait a minute, is that the one that comes with the new Shield TV tube? Then I have one somewhere. Now I just need to figure out how to switch it between Shield boxes.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)

Last edited by NetworkGuy; 12-29-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:45 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
I am using a Harmony Hub now. Maybe I will have to switch.

Wait a minute, is that the one that comes with the new Shield TV tube? Then I have one somewhere. Now I just need to figure out how to switch it between Shield boxes.
If you have a Harmony Hub, then you have a better solution that anything else that has been talked about so far. Well, at least if you have the Hub that came with an actual remote and not just the hub itself. If you only have the hub and use your phone to control things, then I would suggest that you get a physical remote from Harmony that is compatible with the Hub.

The Hub can use IR, RF, Bluetooth and network connections to control devices. It's the only "consumer" quality device that handles all the connection types. It may take a some effort to get everything set up like you want it, but that effort will be less than the other solutions mentioned. It will also give you more flexibility in how you control things too. (Basically you will have more choices).
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all

Last edited by sic0048; 01-07-2021 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
If you have a Harmony Hub, then you have a better solution that anything else that has been talked about so far. Well, at least if you have the Hub that came with an actual remote and not just the hub itself. If you only have the hub and use your phone to control things, then I would suggest that you get a physical remote from Harmony that is compatible with the Hub.

The Hub can use IR and RF and network connections to control devices. It's the only "residential" quality device that handles all the connection types. It may take a some effort to get everything set up like you want it, but that effort will be less than the other solutions mentioned. It will also give you more flexibility in how you control things too. (Basically you will have more choices).
I will second this. I have a Harmony Hub with the remote and I couldn't be happier. The WAF is very high. I use it to control the shield, HD300, TV, AV receiver, and more. Set up of the remote is fairly easy and using it is even easier.
i5-6400, MSI B150M Micro ATX MB, 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 - WD Green 2TB SATA Drives, Lite-On SATA 4X Blu-ray Reader, Corsair 400W 80+ Power Supply, Silverstone Sugo SG02-BF MicroATX Case, Windows 10 (64), HDHR Dual X2, Quatro and Prime, 5 x HD300 + 2 x HD100
Old 01-01-2021, 05:55 PM
SageTVaholic

I agree regarding the Harmony although I haven't used it with the Shield, only with regular extenders. The only better solution is a full automation system like Control4 but that is a whole other ball game.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:53 AM
Sage Icon

The Harmony works great with the Shield. It works exactly like to OEM remote (bluetooth transmission), but with more buttons. You just have to go into the Harmony remote setup section and add the Harmony remote.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all

Last edited by sic0048; 01-07-2021 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:33 AM
Sage Expert

Been using the new shield remote for a couple months now, I mentioned it further up in this thread. It is working great, although I have had to replace the batteries already which I think is odd. The only thing that could be fixed on them is they need to remove or be able to disable the Netflix button which gets hit by mistake more often than I would like. And I am thinking I need to stick on some pads for grip as the plastic is very slippery.

All in All, it was a really good purchase and has a great WAF!

-Bill
Old 02-27-2021, 09:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Been using the new shield remote for a couple months now, I mentioned it further up in this thread. It is working great, although I have had to replace the batteries already which I think is odd. The only thing that could be fixed on them is they need to remove or be able to disable the Netflix button which gets hit by mistake more often than I would like. And I am thinking I need to stick on some pads for grip as the plastic is very slippery.

All in All, it was a really good purchase and has a great WAF!

-Bill
You might want to try this: https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/1...remap-netflix/

I did it and just outright disabled the Netflix button on both of my Shield TV pros. However, I only use the remote in the living room setup since that only has the TV and the Shield. Nothing else.

My main entertainment center in the basement uses a Harmony Elite setup with multiple devices. That works flawlessly for me. I'm even able to use page up/page down when scrolling through a large list of movies or tv shows in my gemstone views. And my Harmony smart keyboard works great with it too. No need for any IR blasters for the remote or keyboard. I can't remember if the Harmony hub was connected via bluetooth or LAN. Regardless, it just works.