SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-31-2020, 01:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Terk Universal remotes

Anyone try one of these for SageTV HDxxx media extenders?

https://www.terk.com/remotes/

I like the size, price, and streaming device support. They even seem to include codes for Shaw Direct/Starchoice satellite boxes, but no SageTV codes listed.

Does anyone know other device codes Sage HD boxes may respond to?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 01-04-2021, 11:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

I stand by Logitech Harmony remotes.

Massive database of pre-existing codes for devices.

Learning ability for anything else you want to throw at it (IR based anyway).

They're a little pricey, but they're worth it.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker:WG View Post
I stand by Logitech Harmony remotes.
They're a little pricey, but they're worth it.
I concur. We have two Harmony Remotes:

Harmony Elite that controls 8 devices -- Yamaha RX-A3080 AVR, Vizio PQ65-F TV, ROKU Ultra, Fire TV Cube, Channel Master CM-7800, AT&T OSprey C71KW-200, SageTV HD300, and nVidia Shield.

Harmony Companion that controls 3 devices -- Vizio D32f-F1 TV, ROKU Ultra, and a nVidia Shield.

However, I do have to say that the lack of voice commands is irritating. (We do use the Voice Command function to navigate with the Fire TV Cube's Remote.)
Old 01-05-2021, 01:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'd be more annoyed by the lack of voice commands if Sage supported voice commands

I guess I'm just old, but I still like pushing a button.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:24 PM
SageTVaholic

There was an Alexa skill made, don't know that it still works. But you are right that it isn't really all that practical. What I do find useful is being able to turn on your AV system via voice. You can come into a room and turn it on and then wait a minute to pick up the remote as it takes a bit of time until the system is useful.

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63281
Old 01-05-2021, 01:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker:WG View Post
I guess I'm just old, but I still like pushing a button.
Closing a program (going home or {and?} opening Guide) and then scrolling from Channel 2.1 to 31.1 is more than A button push... not to mention the time involved. It is so much simpler and more "likable" (for this old guy anyway) to simply say "go to thirty one dot one." This is particularly useful when switching between two (or more) football games on widely separated channels.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
There was an Alexa skill made, don't know that it still works. But you are right that it isn't really all that practical. What I do find useful is being able to turn on your AV system via voice. You can come into a room and turn it on and then wait a minute to pick up the remote as it takes a bit of time until the system is useful.

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63281
Hi. I've got Harmony remotes all over the house, including the hub, which allows me to use Alexa to turn my entire system on/off by voice, etc.

But this little Terk remote was my original question, as I need a small, uncomplicated remote for a location that needs no more, except for SageTV HDxxx functionality. That's really the question then: does anyone know what IR command set the Sage Extender boxes use that may be similar to another product if Sage isn't mentioned on Terk's compatibility, code list
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 01-05-2021, 10:06 PM
Sage Expert

I think you can setup additional IR commands on the HDxxx extenders. Go to Setup > Detailed Setup > Commands

You can have multiple different IR commands mapped to all the different SageTV functions. Program your universal remote with some random device (probably choose a DVR device to make sure it uses all the buttons on the remote), then go button-by-button in the HDxxx setup to map all of the commands.

This way you're not programming the remote to work with SageTV, instead you are programming SageTV to work with your remote.

Edit: Those Terk remotes all seem to use CR2032 batteries. I would try to stick with a remote that can use AA or AAA batteries, or perhaps one that is rechargeable.

Last edited by peternm22; 01-05-2021 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
I think you can setup additional IR commands on the HDxxx extenders. Go to Setup > Detailed Setup > Commands

You can have multiple different IR commands mapped to all the different SageTV functions. Program your universal remote with some random device (probably choose a DVR device to make sure it uses all the buttons on the remote), then go button-by-button in the HDxxx setup to map all of the commands.

This way you're not programming the remote to work with SageTV, instead you are programming SageTV to work with your remote.

Edit: Those Terk remotes all seem to use CR2032 batteries. I would try to stick with a remote that can use AA or AAA batteries, or perhaps one that is rechargeable.
CR2032 doesn’t leak acid at least. But yeah, not as convenient. I’m more concerned they don’t have a “.” or “-“ key for OTA channel selection.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:44 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
CR2032 doesn’t leak acid at least. But yeah, not as convenient. I’m more concerned they don’t have a “.” or “-“ key for OTA channel selection.
NIMH rechargeable batteries don't have the leaking problem that alkaline batteries do. I think they can leak in very rare circumstances, but chances are it's not going to happen.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:30 AM
SageTVaholic

What's wrong with CR2032s? I have used a bunch of Logitech Smart remotes that don't have screens and they use 2032s. I never had any issues with them and the remote didn't need as much power due to the lack of a screen.

Old 01-06-2021, 10:02 AM
Sage Expert

In my neck of the woods, CR2032 batteries cost a lot more than AA or AAA batteries.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:11 AM
SageTVaholic

While that is undoubtedly true I think the overall expense difference is likely less than a dollar per year. Amazon has CR2032 for C$8 for a pack of 10. That will probably last several years.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Aaaaand we’re officially WAY of topic. lol. 😜👍😎