SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Sage User

Using SageTV with Dual DirecTV boxes

Thanks for the fantastic forum - it has really helped me get SageTV up and running much quicker than I expected.

Here's my current situation: I'd like to use a dual tuner setup with two direcTV boxes. I presently have a WinTV 1600 (to someday add HD) and will likely be picking up a WINTV 150 soon as the 2nd tuner. So far the 1600 works great and I can even use my laptop as a "client!" I have one TV (planning to use MediaMVP) at the moment and will use the monitor attached to my server (or my laptop) as the 2nd. My wife will only be using use the TV/MediaMVP.

Questions:

1. How will I control both tuners. I currently use the Hauppauge 1600's remote to control the attached DirecTV box (via IR) which plays on the server's monitor. When I add the 2nd tuner & direcTV box, should I simply use a similar setup for that card/tuner and box? Or is there something more complicated needed (I've read some about USB-UIRT, but don't want to pay $50 for it)?

2. Will changing the channel on the MediaMVP automatically change the channel on the tuner controlling a specific box? Or do I need a special configuration? This will probably play heavily into whether my wife will actually use this instead of her Tivo. Similar to the Tivo, will Sage automatically use whichever tuner is not currently in use?

3. The picture on my office monitor is slightly distorted when at full screen. Is this common? Would a higher resolution video card solve this problem, or is it actually the reverse since my video card is ~1280 x 720 but the direcTV signal is much less than that?

4. If anyone can think of a way to streamline this setup or has any feedback, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks, and sorry for the stream-of-consciousness writing!
Old 01-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

I currently have 2 Directv boxes hooked up to my system controlled by a USB-UIRT.

The Directv boxes I use have a option to use a secondary IR command set.
I set up the first box as normal and changed the second box to use the the alternate command set. This can be found in the setup menu on the Directv box. When I set up each video input source in Sagetv I taught it each corresponding set using the Directv remote. This method should work with any compatible IR blaster without the need for individual emitters and masking sensors. I also found that sending a 4 digit channel code seems to help channel change accuracy. The first channel digit is normally a zero and the Directv recievers sometimes dont wake up in time to see it or if they do they ignore that leading zero.

2. Yes, Sage will pick a tuner that is not in use.

3. What aspect ratio is Sage trying to output? Right click your mouse on a playing video and select aspect ratio, try each one till you find one that works for you.

Good Luck
Apap

Last edited by Apap; 01-07-2008 at 06:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Sage User

Is there a way I can avoid the USB-URIT route?

I've tried all the aspect ratios, while they do change it is not significant and not the quality I am hoping for. My dell laptop (with HD type screen) gives a much better picture, which is why I think it has something to do with the video card in the server.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

This method should work with just about any IR Blaster. The only way to know for sure it to try it out for yourself.

Maybe another User can chime in about alternate IR methods.

Aspect ratio,

Go to setup->detailed setup->multimedia->display aspect ratio settings->adjust
select the aspect ratio that makes the circle that is displayed perfectly round.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Depending on which STB you have you can use serial controll. That's what I use, all my DirecTV boxes are controlled by serial to USB cables. It's more expensive than IR but supposedly more stable.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

agreed - both of mine are serial controlled and works very reliably.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Serial control with PatersonTech adapters and BAFO usb to serial.

B
Old 01-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

I use some cheap GWC brand usb to serial adaptors along with some null modem serial cables with my D11-500's. It works perfectly. I think they were $15 a piece.

Heres where I got the info: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php...TV_D11_via_USB
Old 01-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm a relatively new user to Sage (Sept 07). I also use a serial tuning cable to a directv stb. I didn't want to mess w/ IR - I read about it and it seemed like more of a headache than just plugging in a cable and being done w/ it. My headless server sits beside a CRT TV and directv receiver in my home office. I got my 10' cable from BeyondTv's store, since that where DVR life started for me >3 yrs ago.

http://store.snapstream.com/dicaparre.html

My SD (stnd definition) directv stb is a model D10-300 and it has a low speed RJ-6 data port in the back. It is considered the 'RCA style'. I believe the 'Sony style' set top boxes have a USB low speed port in the back but I'm not sure. The beyondtv store sells serial cables for both types. I've considered moving my other directv stb to where my server is located to have a dual tuner setup but my server mobo only has one serial port so I believe to add another tuner, I'd need a USB to serial adapter. My server is dated so I'm pretty sure the USB is v1.1 and not 2.0 but since all it is doing is tuning, it probably wouldn't matter. I only have one open PCI slot and that's were my second tuner would go so I couldn't use a PCI serial card either. The dual tuner PVR -500 would work but it is still pretty expensive (>$150 on Hauppauge's website last time I looked).

I've read on this forum and the others above answered likewise, serial cable tuning does work well.
Extenders: Nvidia Shield x2 / 3 placeshifters
Server Software: Win 10 64, SageTV 9.1.5.683, Java 8_241, Real VNC
Other: MiniClient, Commercial Detector UI, Sage Recording Extender
Old 01-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Sage User

Thanks all, I think I'll try the serial route. So far everything looks pretty good, except for a slight quality issue and a green line at the top of the screen that I'll be posting about in another thread!