SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Sage Expert

Booted Dish Network out

Last week I had Dish network installed at my house. Before it was even installed I got a bill for 2 months..(I did not sign a 2 year contract)...and the bill had added items on it, that I did not ask for. Of course I had to call Dish and wait and wait and finally they agreed they had just added them and would be taken off...I was so mad that I got a bill before it was even installed...I cancelled the service.. Meantime, the installer came out and installed the dish. When he came back to set up the receivers (2 211's) I told him that the service was cancelled... He left me the 2 receivers and also left me an "alum" (I think that's it the binocular looking thing that goes on the dish).....

So, long story.. I now have a dish with the Alum connected on my roof with coax down to my HTPC and HDHR area...I also have an extra "Alum" and 2 receivers. I assume they will want back the receivers and the one "alum" back..

So, my question....

can I do anything with the dish and binocular thing? could it possibly be used as an HD antenae?

Just wondering if any value...

Thanks,

Gary Ellis
Old 08-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Sage Icon

Not trying to thread-crap, but cable/sat service is always billed in advance. I guess that the two months might include "first and last".
Old 08-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Sage Expert

exactly, otherwise I have very good experience with dish and their installers and billing. Already have Cinemax for 1 penny and now switched to DishHD and I am quite happy with it.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Sage Expert

no problem...the installer was nice....it made me mad when they added things to my bill that I didn't ask for and that they billed me before it was even installed....So, I booted them...

But, my real question is...how can I use the equipment that they left behind and they don't want me to return..?

Thanks,

Gary Ellis
Old 08-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Sage Icon

I'm not trying to start anything here, but what type of things did they add to the bill? Also, was there a delay in the installation time frame (perhaps the installer was really busy or you were out of town for a week, etc)?

We just signed up for Dish about a month ago and everything went smoothly. The installer was on time and friendly and we received the bill AFTER the installation (but I am sure it is sent out automatically). I was surprised to see two months combined, but it pretty well explains everything in the bill (ie it won't happen again). I also understand the reasoning for the two month bill to start out. That way people are always paying in advance for service and if they fail to pay, there is about 30 days before Dish would have to cut service without having to recoup money for service already rendered).

We also signed up for the 24mo commitment and I used a DishClub referral from a friend, so even after being charged for two months of service, I still have a credit left over for about $7. So that helped ease the pain of being billed two months I guess - I still haven't had to pay anything yet.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 08-06-2008, 12:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyellis View Post
no problem...the installer was nice....it made me mad when they added things to my bill that I didn't ask for and that they billed me before it was even installed....So, I booted them...

But, my real question is...how can I use the equipment that they left behind and they don't want me to return..?

Thanks,

Gary Ellis

You could hang christmas lights on it and sing songs around it.. not sure what else you are getting at. You certainly aren't going to be able to use the equipment without paying for a service. The dish and 'LNB' are not worth all that much, though I guess you could check out ebay and see what they are going for (peanuts?).

If you really want to get the most out of the equipment, I'd call them back and reschedule an install. :-)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Sage Icon

Personally I would be afraid to sell it anyway. As soon as you do (even if it is 2 years from now), that is when they are going to send you a notice that they want you to send the equipment back in.

Actually, it might be the responsibility of the cancelling party to send the equipment back in anyway. I can't imagine they usually send an installer out to "uninstall" a setup when they can simply tell the user to send it back or pay for the equipment if they don't want to send it in. I guess I need to read the user agreement again. I do know there is a price listed that they can charge a user for equipment that is not returned when service is cancelled. The question I guess is who is responsible to collect the equipment?

Edit - here are some exerpts from the User Agreement
Quote:
5. LEASED EQUIPMENT
A. .........You shall have no right to pledge, sell, mortgage, otherwise encumber, give away, remove, relocate, alter or tamper with such Equipment (or any notice of our ownership thereon) at any time. Any reinstallation, return, or change in the location of such Equipment shall be performed by us at our service rates in effect at the time of such service...........

B. Upon termination of your Services, you must notify our Customer Service Center or call the telephone number set forth in the customer agreement(s) applicable to the lease promotion(s) pursuant to which you are leasing the applicable Equipment to schedule the return of your leased Equipment. If such Equipment is not returned undamaged and in working order, normal wear and tear excepted, certain charges will apply as described in the customer agreement(s) applicable to the lease promotion(s) pursuant to which you are leasing such Equipment. You are responsible for, and agree to pay, any costs of repair, replacement or other costs if you do not return such Equipment undamaged and in working order, normal wear and tear excepted.
So you really are responsible to call Dish and to tell them to come get the equipment from you and they may have the right to charge you a service fee to do this. If you fail to return the equipment, Dish can charge you the replacement/other costs for the equipment.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)

Last edited by sic0048; 08-06-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

If you need an outdoor antenna for OTA, you could mount something like this to the dish:

http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Technolog.../dp/B00005T3A8

Since you already have cable running from the dish to your HTPC and HDHR, installation should be a breeze. (I have no idea if that antenna is any good.)
Old 08-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Sage Expert

The lady that I called to cancel service said that they would be sending me boxes to return the 2 receivers and the LNB....And she was extremely nice after I told her I was cancelling. She offered me the first 2 months free... It wasn't about the money...I don't need the aggrevation...

Since the installer gave me 2 LNB's....then I guess one of them is mine...

They also said they do not want the dish itself.

So, when the boxes arrive for the receivers and the LNB, then I will return them and I will be left with a dish and an LNB and lots of coax...

Its a shame if it can't be used somehow...

oh well..

Gary Ellis

also...you asked what they added... they added some warranty line items and they started the bill for 5 days before the installlation. And I was in town the whole time and nothing was rescheduled...I don't need the aggrevation....simple as that.

Last edited by garyellis; 08-06-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
So, my question....

can I do anything with the dish and binocular thing? could it possibly be used as an HD antenae?

Thanks,

Gary Ellis
No - all the equipment is pretty much only good as a paperweight unless used for DishNetwork service.

I'm surprised that they don't want the dish back, but the LNB is where the money is anyway. It guess it costs more to ship back than it is worth. That must be why you see so many dishes on people's houses after they move, etc.

In your case I guess you could try to sell the LNB, but I'm not sure it is worth the hassle either.

Edit - it looks like the used ones go for about $20-80 on ebay (total price including shipping).
OpenDCT

Last edited by sic0048; 08-06-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Sage Expert

actually once when we switched to DishHD, they gave us new Dish and new STB and left the old dish and STB (JVC 311) in the house. They just didnt care.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Last week I had Dish network installed at my house. Before it was even installed I got a bill for 2 months..(I did not sign a 2 year contract)

Thanks,
Gary Ellis
Are you absolutely sure the contract wasn't signed? My brother-in-law refused to sign the contract, a couple months later when there was a problem, it was discovered that the Dish Network installer forged his signature on the contract. Dish Network backed down, since it could be proven that the signature was forged.

I also had a problem with Dish Network with a pop up message "Please go to www.dishnetwork.com/myaccount or call 1-866-263-1911 immediately to avoid losing your satellite TV service". This message popped up many times per day for a couple months, even though the bill was paid. Dish Network was unable to stop the messages or refused to stop the messages. I canceled Dish Network and wrote a letter to the Dish Network CE0 about the problem - no response was ever received from Dish Network.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dishnetwork.JPG (23.3 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by davephan; 08-06-2008 at 05:34 PM.