SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:04 AM
SageTVaholic

DirecTV HDPC-20 for SageTV? Any Chance?

Is there any chance (even slight) that SageTV could get DirecTV to allow them to support the HDPC-20 tuner? It's now very obvious (confirmed by several reliable sources) that the HDPC-20 won't be supported by Microsoft until Windows 7 comes around - and that will be a year or two.

Since SageTV has H.264 and that's what this device uses the only sticking point would be the DRM issue. What do you guys think?

I'm fine with the HD-PVR, but it never hurts to have options right?
Old 08-07-2008, 11:52 AM
SageTVaholic

I find it extremely unlikely. DirecTV certainly isn't going to let this thing out without tight DRM in place. It's not so much that DirecTV would oppose it- I imagine the network and cable stations would demand it. Even if Sage were to shift strategy and somehow embrace DRM, they certainly wouldn't be allowed to create their own. So, they'd get stuck trying to license Microsoft's DRM. Taking another leap, we assume not only Microsoft is willing to deal, but that Sage can cough up enough cash for it. Next, Sage would have to massively rewrite their software to be compatible with DRM. To make matters worse, HD100 extender wouldn't even work with it, since it almost certainly wouldn't be able to play back DRMed files.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Sage Fanatic

I'm absolutely convinced that this 'solution' from DirecTV is nothing more than their attempt at "CableCard" for satellite. They want DRM on everything, and so far only MS and TiVo have been willing to deal with it.

In my opinion, adopting DRM would mean the demise of SageTV and I don't think it offers a compelling reason to implement it. Whereas the proof that Sage worked closely with Hauppauge to introduce the HD-PVR is further evidence Sage wants to stay away from the DRM fiasco.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 08-07-2008, 12:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan View Post
I'm absolutely convinced that this 'solution' from DirecTV is nothing more than their attempt at "CableCard" for satellite. They want DRM on everything, and so far only MS and TiVo have been willing to deal with it.
I'm confused by this statement. Why would DirecTV want a "cable card" for satellite? I don't think cable companies are huge fans of cable card. The FCC made them support it. I think everyone would be much happier implementing DRM on their own. (though, as you are apparently a crypto fan yourself, you should appreciate what a bad idea it is to create your own cryptographic algorithms)

If you just mean it is DirecTV's way of introducing DRM, then I disagree. Satellite is essentially a big DRM system, as they need to do access control on their TV signals. I'm sure they've been using DRM on their DVRs for quite some time.