SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

New house soon...what TV service to get??

I currently live with my grandfather and take care of him. His health is getting to the point where my family is looking at moving him in with my parents.

So I can finally have a house again. I am thinking of how I can expand my current sageTV setup.

I really don't record that much compared to some here. I have a Nvidia Dual TV capture card and a HDhomerun.
I mostly record shows from scifi, comedy central, USA, and NBC.
I would love to get scifi shows in HD. is direct-tv the only choice then?

I'm thinking of verizon FIOS, timewarner, Dish networks, and direct TV.

any ideas, opinions etc is appreciated!
Old 08-17-2008, 04:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Dish Network carries SciFi HD, and USA HD... I don't believe Comedy Central has an HD variant, but I'd bet Dish will carry it when they do. Universal HD plays some good sci-fi from time to time, and had Battlestar Galactica in HD before Sci-fi had it's HD version.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

I was just looking at DISH Networks website....man is it confusing! but it seems like a good deal. I only wonder about reception during massive rainstorms here in florida
Old 08-17-2008, 01:55 PM
SageTVaholic

TurboHD from Dish as an awesome value, one of the best in TV right now.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Sage Expert

Just make sure you check it out thoroughly during the 3 day trial period. I didn't have a chance to watch much immediately after I got my HD Absolute setup (the precursor to TurboHD) a week ago. As soon as I did I realized I've got a pretty bad audio sync problem on all the HD channels. And of course a 2-year contract with Dish, who basically says "maybe it'll be fixed some day. Either way, you get to pay for it for 2 years."

(You should be able to see an example of the sync issue I'm talking about in this clip...)
Old 08-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Sage Expert

I am bias to Verizon FIOS...because that is what I have They are increasing their # of HD channels. The picture quality is unbelievable since they run fiber straight to your house. The flea in the fios commercial is right "wow". If high speed internet is issue for you, that should help make the decision easy since the upload download speed is unbelievable. but then again, I have FIOS so I am bias!
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 08-18-2008, 12:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

well apparently FIOS isn't available in the neighborhood I'm looking at
Old 08-18-2008, 05:29 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by popechild View Post
Just make sure you check it out thoroughly during the 3 day trial period. I didn't have a chance to watch much immediately after I got my HD Absolute setup (the precursor to TurboHD) a week ago. As soon as I did I realized I've got a pretty bad audio sync problem on all the HD channels. And of course a 2-year contract with Dish, who basically says "maybe it'll be fixed some day. Either way, you get to pay for it for 2 years."

(You should be able to see an example of the sync issue I'm talking about in this clip...)
Does changing the "Audio Playback Delay" parameter help (Setup, Detailed Setup, Video/Audio, Audio Playback Delay)?

Dave
Old 08-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Does changing the "Audio Playback Delay" parameter help (Setup, Detailed Setup, Video/Audio, Audio Playback Delay)?

Dave
It does if I'm playing back on the server. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have any impact on playback on the HD100. I was planning to replace the server with another HD100 since I've enjoyed it so much to this point, but can't see myself doing that if there's no way to resolve the sync issue. Indeed, I've actually found myself considering whether or not I'll have to replace the HD100 with a client machine.

By all means, PLEASE correct me if I'm missing something and there's some wa to adjust sync on HD100 playback (whether in the extender settings or somewhere on the server machine).
Old 08-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well if you are looking at a Satellite service make sure your house has clear LOS to the service you want. When I bought our house a few years ago it turns out that we have no LOS! So only service we can get is Comcast Cable. Not a monopoly my A@#$!

Course we live in an extremely wooded area, our property alone has over 60 mature hardwoods on just over an acre. However even if we clear cut our property(not that we would ever do that) neighbors trees would still prevent LOS.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by popechild View Post

Have you tried it without the HD PVR? I haven't noticed any delay on any of my dish channels and I can't help but think they'd get a huge number of complaints (and fix it quick) if there really was a significant sync issues.

I have seen some sort of "come and go" sync issues with the HD PVR itself though.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Have you tried it without the HD PVR? I haven't noticed any delay on any of my dish channels and I can't help but think they'd get a huge number of complaints (and fix it quick) if there really was a significant sync issues.

I have seen some sort of "come and go" sync issues with the HD PVR itself though.
I keep thinking the same thing, but every test I've done shows the same problem, even running straight to the receiver. (My only dish box is in the basement where I don't have a "normal" tv, so I can only test it on the projector/receiver, but suffice to say no other sources have the problem, and it looks identical when run straight through the receiver as when run through the HD PVR.)

FWIW, the SD versions of the same channels are perfectly in sync - even on the HD PVR - which convinces me even more that it's a box output problem.

But like you said, I can't figure out how they haven't gotten tons of complaints about this if it's a universal thing. Maybe it's only on the 211 model, and only on HD. If so, it may not really be all that many people.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:56 PM
SageTVaholic

But I've got a 211 and the HD package, and like I said, I've not noticed any sync issues other than occasionally with HDPVR recordings.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Sage Expert

That gives me hope, I suppose, but I'm not sure what else I can try to debug this thing. I guess I'll go back through and do some more testing of all the various outputs straight to a TV (will have to run some new cables from basement to upstairs to test this) and see what gives...
Old 08-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
But I've got a 211 and the HD package, and like I said, I've not noticed any sync issues other than occasionally with HDPVR recordings.
Updated the current status on my sync problems in this thread, if you care to take a peek. Short version: the problem seems to be in the HD100 playback...
Old 08-21-2008, 05:11 AM

Thoses of you that have been pop in on SHSPVR forum.
Wait for new HD-PVR driver with the timestamp video related fixes in upcoming driver update that may help solve the problem which may make it to the public this friday.
And yes everone number ONE big b$t&h is coming a working SPDIF and AC3 .

Last edited by SHS; 08-21-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:19 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Thoses of you that have been pop in on SHSPVR forum.
Wait for new HD-PVR driver with the timestamp video related fixes in upcoming driver update that may help solve the problem which may make it to the public this friday.
Any yes everone number ONE big b$t&h is coming a working SPDIF and AC3 .
Great to hear. Given that the sync is fine within Arcsoft, and on the Sage server, and the problem only occurs on the extender, I'm not holding my breath... but I will keep my fingers crossed. And SPDIF/AC3 update is good any way you cut it.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:06 AM

popechild what I'm think is maybe becuase software is little more forgiving vs hardware decoder.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
popechild what I'm think is maybe becuase software is little more forgiving vs hardware decoder.
Definitely hope you're right.