SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Sage Expert

Backup/Restore SageMC Options

In the SageMC options, how exactly do Backup and Restore work?

For example, if I've got all my settings the way I want them, and then I back them up to a new file name, is that a static file, or does it update as I change settings? Basically, does it stay "in use" and get constantly updated, or is it just a snapshot of the options at the time the backup is made? And if this is the case, I assume that "application_exit_backup" and "application_start_backup" are the only places that keep a running update on what changes I've made?

Thanks!

EDIT: I suppose I have the same question for the importing and exporting of the menu layout files...
EDIT2: And one more: if I change settings within a screen (not layout and not SageMC settings, but something like how many rows to display in My Videos, does this change happen anywhere that I need to manually back it up, or does this just update a properties file or something that will keep itself updated?)

Last edited by popechild; 10-20-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by popechild View Post
In the SageMC options, how exactly do Backup and Restore work?

For example, if I've got all my settings the way I want them, and then I back them up to a new file name, is that a static file, or does it update as I change settings? Basically, does it stay "in use" and get constantly updated, or is it just a snapshot of the options at the time the backup is made? And if this is the case, I assume that "application_exit_backup" and "application_start_backup" are the only places that keep a running update on what changes I've made?
When you create a backup, all of the current SageMC settings are written to the new file. This remains unchanged unless you choose to later overwrite it. The start and exit backup automatically occur when SageTV starts and exits. They are just a bit more insurance in case you change something and forget to make a backup first.

Quote:
EDIT: I suppose I have the same question for the importing and exporting of the menu layout files...
They are not automatically updated either. Note that all of your layout settings are backed up in the backup files discussed above as well.

Quote:
EDIT2: And one more: if I change settings within a screen (not layout and not SageMC settings, but something like how many rows to display in My Videos, does this change happen anywhere that I need to manually back it up, or does this just update a properties file or something that will keep itself updated?)
All SageMC-specific settings (those whose properties start with sagemc/...) are saved in the backup files. Any settings shared with the default STV are not included. If you want to back up everything, make a copy of your sage(client).properties file.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 10-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks Mike. It all makes sense.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Sage Icon

Feature Request...

Hey this brings up a neat feature request idea (at least it seems like it might be).

Could you point the settings to a "common" file so that changes on any one client would propagate automagically to all others?
Old 10-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands View Post
Hey this brings up a neat feature request idea (at least it seems like it might be).

Could you point the settings to a "common" file so that changes on any one client would propagate automagically to all others?
+1