SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Me voted too...
Old 12-07-2008, 01:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenWeathers View Post
My vote just showed up on page 2 with the original date/time and my assigned ID (something Helle). Took a while for that "pending approval" but worth the time to support the best all-around HTPC Software out there.
Again, that was just the initial "poll" to decide which 5 apps get to the 'real' poll so be sure and vote here:
LifeHacker The Best Media Center Applications
Old 12-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Sage Icon

Done deal with real vote. Thanks for the heads up Brent. MAYBE WE SHOULD MAKE THIS A STICKY FOR THE WEEK? If that can be done.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT

Last edited by HelenWeathers; 12-07-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:19 PM
SageTVaholic

I just voted and was the 60th vote for Sage. XMBC has over 1,000 and Sage is dead last (including "other"). I'm really surprised.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I just voted and was the 60th vote for Sage. XMBC has over 1,000 and Sage is dead last (including "other"). I'm really surprised.
I guess I'm not shocked by XBMC - XBMC is free, been around a long time and seems to have a very loyal following. It's a pretty hackable web poll too and so you never know. Still, I hope to see more of the SageTV faithful vote by Monday at noon.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:55 AM
SageTVaholic

I totally don't understand the results of this poll. I would never even consider MC software that doesn't offer a hardware extender - that leaves you with two choices - VMC and Sage. Do XBMC and Boxee even have a RecordedTV component? Boxee is currently in pre-alpha stage??? That's like voting on best-OS and having Windows 7 be one of the leaders!

My main complaints with Sage are the weak UI and mainly the poor availability of the hardware extenders. They were unavailable for something like 4 months and then available for about 2 days before being sold out again. How long will the mid-Dec batch last?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
.....and mainly the poor availability of the hardware extenders. They were unavailable for something like 4 months and then available for about 2 days before being sold out again. How long will the mid-Dec batch last?
I guess you never know with demand and all, but the rumor I had heard was that the first batch - the batch that already sold out - was a smaller batch of HD200s and they were getting a much healthier stock of them in in this second batch. Then again, you never know about those kinds of things.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Sage User

I cast my vote. Only 178 for Sage at this point. We are really getting smoked by the other apps.

The Sage community needs to step up and be heard.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:38 AM
SageTVaholic

The poll is a beauty contest. Nothing more.

Though I'm amazed that MediaPortal didn't make the list. We should at least be happy that our efforts got SageTV included.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 12-08-2008, 11:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
I agree. What the poll does tell me though is there are a lot of people perfectly happy to get a media player application on their PC (and TV) that doesn't have TV/PVR functionality. That sort of surprises me a bit and shows the appeal of the non-PVR functions to the geek masses. Should send a message to SageTV that they shouldn't ignore Music, Movies, Photos and Online content. Not saying they do, but its always good to get confirmation that it has appeal to folks.

Quote:
Though I'm amazed that MediaPortal didn't make the list. We should at least be happy that our efforts got SageTV included.
I'm a little surprised abut MediaPortal, but I think there are a lot of MediaPortal folks who have left for Meedio, XBMC and Boxee. I'm impressed that XBMC has such an appeal - its cool and does have a lot going for it but I always like Meedio a little more than XBMC myself. And if you want TV/PVR the two leaders are obviously Vista Media Center and SageTV.

The press is still good for SageTV just as you said Mike.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:13 PM

I to am little surprised by XBMC when it nothing more then frontend and just min other not even a full media center applications, and I agree the poll is nothing more then a beauty contest. and I agree with you Brent on non-PVR functions to the geek masses SageTV impove it Music, Movies, Photos and Online content and UI.
No one even said word about "Got All Media" that a surprised
Old 12-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Sage Expert

because of the thread title I missed this thread initially.

I learned about the poll because I received an Email from XBMC since I am registered on their message board.

I voted as well. 245 for Sage.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 12-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
Not to beat a long-dead-and-buried pony, but looking at the screen shots, this beauty contest was over before it started. Assuming that the compilers of this list weren't out to sink Sage from the beginning, they sure picked some pretty UI's from the competition. I started to say that they picked a very, um, functional screen from SageTV, but thought to myself "the EPG is probably the most exciting screen in the stock UI".

I know, I know; people are going to jump in and say it's function over form, and that if I want a good-looking UI I should use SageMC or write my own, blah, blah, blah. I'm just pointing out that pretty screens do mean something, and Sage ain't exactly pretty out of the box.