SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-18-2009, 01:45 PM

HD PVR issues

I'm having trouble with my video playback using the Hauppauge HD PVR in SageTV.

I have the HD PVR connected to the cable box using component and from HD PVR to HTPC using Optical.

I've been through every combination of options in SageTV I could find. The best video playback I get is jittery, sometimes freezing, then catching up quickly.

The audio is not working either, but I'm focused on the video first in the hopes that will resolve it.

I updated the drivers from Hauppague's website - no change.

I have a brand new Shuttle HTPC with a Radeon HD3850 512MB graphics card, so I'm confident it's not an HTPC hardware issue.

I will mention something that seems strange in Sage. Once I try to to view a channel, the UI turns a darker blue and moving through is not as quick and smooth as when I'm not running video playback. It's crawls a bit clicking from one thing to another (e.g. scrolling through the program guide)

I have both video and audio set to "default" - I tried the others with no luck.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I have the HD PVR connected to the cable box using component and from HD PVR to HTPC using Optical.
This was confusing to me. I assume that you have the audio and video from the cable box directly into the HD-PVR and that the audio source is Optical. The HD-PVR is connected to the PC via USB. ???

The recording engine does not require anything but the Hauppague driver but playback in Sage need a h.264 codec installed. Have you installed the TME software that came with the HD-PVR? I know that the first time I installed it I went to the Hauppague site for the latest driver and neglected to install TME. I had similar issues with playback until I installed a proper codec.

You may need to also edit the sage properties file with the below entry:
videoframe/h264_video_decoder_filter=ArcSoft Video Decoder

Last edited by SWKerr; 03-18-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Sage Icon

use analog for audio, the digital optical audio give lots of people headaches so I assume it is not working even with the latest driver.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
use analog for audio, the digital optical audio give lots of people headaches so I assume it is not working even with the latest driver.
That statement is way to generalized. Digital audio works perfectly fine for me (and many others afaik).

I'm not denying that there are issues in some cases (why should I?), so yes switching to analog is an option, if it helps. But it's definetly not a solution, more like a work around.