SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Sage Icon

Ion coming soon...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1136815

I wonder if an Atom 280 or 330 could be installed...I have a hard time knowing that there is a better CPU out there. I think I might get one of these (or the competitions') to play with. Clients make a come back?

P
Old 04-09-2009, 09:54 AM
SageTVaholic

I've never seen a socketed Atom. Single core any more is kind of dumb unless you're talking about something portable. Maybe they'll come out with a dual-core version.

Would be neat to see if it's workable as a client. With it coming with Vista Home Premium EVR acceleration would be a fairly simple thing to get working on it.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
I've never seen a socketed Atom. Single core any more is kind of dumb unless you're talking about something portable. Maybe they'll come out with a dual-core version.

Would be neat to see if it's workable as a client. With it coming with Vista Home Premium EVR acceleration would be a fairly simple thing to get working on it.
Here's a deep-dive review done on the Nvidia reference design - which BTW used a dual-core Atom and had more than enough power to playback 1080p material.

There's definitely a lot of buzz around the various forums for this device and it will be definitely interesting to see the reviews and user (early adopter) feedback between now and june when several other models are reported to be released.

-Topper
Old 04-09-2009, 12:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Yea, I've seen a review of the reference unit on Tech Report. It looks like a really promising platform. I was refering specifically to the Acer unit. I think, though, even with a single core Atom it should still be able to work as a SageTV Client given the video acceleration.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
Yea, I've seen a review of the reference unit on Tech Report. It looks like a really promising platform. I was refering specifically to the Acer unit. I think, though, even with a single core Atom it should still be able to work as a SageTV Client given the video acceleration.
Agreed - all the Acer units scheduled for release atleast in the near term seem to be using the single core Atoms. Although, as you mentioned, this should be good enough as a SageTV client with the video acceleration, the dual-core would be better for content that does not use video acceleration (e.g. Youtube HD, Hulu HD, etc). And we know from the hothardware review that the reference design did work with dual-core Atom so here's hoping someone comes out with one, and hopefully one that includes more connection options such as component video, SPDIF for those of us that do not have HDMI connectivity in the receivers or TVs.

-Topper
Old 04-09-2009, 01:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topperdude View Post
and hopefully one that includes more connection options such as component video, SPDIF for those of us that do not have HDMI connectivity in the receivers or TVs.

-Topper
Somehow I doubt this will come about since the market segment this machine is aimed at is clearly in the low end. Since HDMI covers new TV's I doubt they'll add component and SPDIF since it will just add to the cost and not provide any tangible benefits to the majority of consumers. HDMI already provides digital audio and video and DVI compatibility. Most TV's have at least a VGA port on them. You'd just be stuck with analog audio.