SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Sage User

Legality of recording non-network channels

I've noticed in the past year or so that I can no longer record any channels, but the network channels that are also provided via ATSC. My question is how is this legal? We pay for premium service like HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc. Why are we not allowed to record the shows on these channels the same way someone with a Tivo or cable company-issued DVR can? Is anyone familiar with the laws pertaining to this issue? For cable companies to expect us to pay for these services monthly and then force us to either get one of their DVRs or buy the shows on DVD(Blu) if we miss a show is ridiculous. If I'm missing something, please let me know. Is there some kind of movement afoot to get the FCC(or some other government agency) to allow us to record these channels freely? Thanks for reading guys and if this issue has a thread already, please just point me to it, don't bash a brother
Old 09-21-2009, 02:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsydaisy View Post
I've noticed in the past year or so that I can no longer record any channels, but the network channels that are also provided via ATSC. My question is how is this legal? We pay for premium service like HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc. Why are we not allowed to record the shows on these channels the same way someone with a Tivo or cable company-issued DVR can?
You can, but (with cable) you have to buy an OEM Vista CableCard-equipped machine. MS, via Vista Media Center and ATI's OCUR, is the only one to implement a CableCard recording system. It's really just too expensive for anyone else (there's some hope that's changing with Windows 7 and some relaxed restrictions).

Quote:
Is anyone familiar with the laws pertaining to this issue?
There's no law that says it has to be easy to record from your TV service with 3rd party hardware/software.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Sage User

Thanks for your quick reply. Not totally unexpected, but disheartening as I am a Sage/Mac lover who started out on the PC because there was no other way, then finally got Sage on a Mac. I would hate to have a PC around just for recording again.

Last edited by oopsydaisy; 09-21-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Just to make sure..

Are you asking why you can't record via QAM? You should be able to record if you have a set top box and an appropriate adapter.

B
Old 09-21-2009, 05:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, you can record anything you subscribe to, it's just not as simple as plugging a tuner into the cable. These digital systems encrypt their premium (anything other than locals really) content, so you need to use their decoder box (STB) to decode it, but once that's done you can record with S/Video or Component. You do need an IR blaster (or serial/firewire) to control the box though.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Sage User

So you can only record analog, not digital(firewire) even if you let the STB do the decoding? I am using guho's firewire network encoder. It had been recording all channels, including the premiums until about January/February of this year. It still records, but the files are unplayable. Locals work just fine.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsydaisy View Post
So you can only record analog, not digital(firewire) even if you let the STB do the decoding?
You can always record analog. You aren't guaranteed to always be able to record digital. The ability to record digital depends on if the stream is encrypted and varies channel to channel, provider to provider. About the only channels you can expect to be able to record digitally are the locals.