SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 10-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Cable company Rant

Guys,

I've been using Sage for some time and love it. I have a haupaugge 150 and 500 along with one HDhomerun for a total of 5 tuners.

I am tired of paying $150/month for cable/isp, and am thinking of discontinuing all cable tv programing and going strictly with the HDHomerun for OTA...which is what I do now for network HD...

Any other suggestions to save some money, $150/month is getting old?

Would DTV family package ($30/mo) work well with Sage? I am not sure which recievers they are using and their compatibility....not to mention their hidden costs. Anyone with DTV experience can tell me about their hidden costs..(taxes/surcharges/etc)?
Old 10-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Sage Icon

That's way too much. I pay $100 for FiOS TV and internet, and I think its way too much also, but I can't complain about the FiOS 25/15Mbps speed. I was pulling 3Mb/sec on bit torrent.

If all you watch is on the HDHR, then why pay for cable? Get a good roof antenna and the HDHR will be good enough. I'm contemplating about ditching FiOS TV if the Hulu/Netflix importer plugin works well. I rather pay Netflix than Verizon.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
.....If all you watch is on the HDHR, then why pay for cable? Get a good roof antenna and the HDHR will be good enough. I'm contemplating about ditching FiOS TV if the Hulu/Netflix importer plugin works well. I rather pay Netflix than Verizon.
I've been off cable for 3 months. It comes with some withdrawal symptoms but after a few weeks you'll never miss it. "If Hulu/Netflix works well" .... Let me confirm, it's fantastic - a must try!
Old 10-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wado1971 View Post
I've been off cable for 3 months. It comes with some withdrawal symptoms but after a few weeks you'll never miss it. "If Hulu/Netflix works well" .... Let me confirm, it's fantastic - a must try!
Hulu seems to work well on my HD200. I haven't figure out why it doesn't work on my HD100 yet. I don't have a Netflix subscription yet, but I've been following the plugin thread to see when all the Netflix issues have been ironed out, then I will subscribe.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've been happy with Sage for so long that I haven't followed recent advances...Do we now have a HULU plugin that works?
Old 10-06-2009, 01:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

Lol, i pay 20 $ for cable tv( analog or digital, same price) and Internet 50mbs.
Way to expensive.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:37 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsitalon1 View Post
I've been happy with Sage for so long that I haven't followed recent advances...Do we now have a HULU plugin that works?
Oh ya!! - EvilPenguin released an stvi which uses playon ($40) to stream hulu/netflix/cnn/espn/nbc/'etc' to clients & extenders. The 'etc' streaming source is essentially anything which the playon user community adds via plugins or playon works out with internet content providers. I'm hopeful that playon, because it's there core business, works out some agreements with players like mlb.tv.

ps - think of the $40 as a cheap tuner which doesn't use any HD space - might make the purchase easier to make
Old 10-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

This sounds great....I found the HULU/Playon thread and am going to attempt to get it working before I drop the cable company

My only gripe is having to setup Hulu queues before Hulu content is available on Sage. There's no way to browse Hulu with Sage is there?
Old 10-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeven View Post
Lol, i pay 20 $ for cable tv( analog or digital, same price) and Internet 50mbs.
Way to expensive.
Where the hell do you live??

I'm paying $70 for 12mbps/816k internet from Qwest, and about $50 for satellite. If it wasn't for live sports I surely would have stayed with ota and netflix. But I was so tired of missing out on monday night football and college ball that I finally relented.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
I too am getting ready to ditch the TV part of my FIOS subscription. I am in a contract till the middle of October, so I have to wait a few more weeks. I just do not watch anything above the local stations. Now that Stargate Universe is on, it sucks to cut TV, but no one show is worth $40 a month
Old 10-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm closer to ditching now...Got hulu working, make sure to uninstall COMODO if you have that.

A few more tweaks and a week's worth of testing and I will make that glorious call to my cable company