SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Sage User

Recording Missed Due to Capture Device Failure

I am using 6.6.1 on WinXP. I have 2 PVR150's connected to two dish network boxes and an Avermedia A180 recording OTA channels. No changes to my system since the update to 6.6.1 about a month to 6 weeks ago.

Last week I got a red i icon at the top of the screen. I had 2 errors. The first was "Recording missed due to capture device failure. The device Avermedia A180 failed to record on channel 12". The second error was "Halt detected in recording. Device Avermedia A180 stopped producing data while recording CSI on channel 12. Sage will try to reset device. This may be caused by a channel which is no longer available." I missed the entire CSI recording.

After this I missed 2 other recordings on CBS, channel 12, so Sage was not able to re-tune the channel after the error. Channel 12 is the weakest channel that I receive so I figured it had lost the signal so I tweaked the antenna, rescanned the channels and everything was fine until tonight.

I just got the same 2 errors this time for channel 26. I've never had any problems with channel 26, it has a strong signal. As before I missed the entire recording. My guess is that I will not be able to tune channel 26 until I rescan channels. I won't be able to check this out till tomorrow though. I have other stuff recording now so I can't check it out till then.

Any ideas. Searching through the forums I found some HDPVR users having similar problems but nothing I could find with standard OTA cards. The HDPVR users seemed to think it might be some error with Sage 6.6.1.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

I am also seeing this error quite often. I see it mostly on my HDPVR but also I see it on my Hauppauge PVR-500. I have even seen it on my HDHR but I just chalked that up to network issues (though I didn't notice any issues at the time).

I am using 6.6.2.218 of the SageTV software.

Like the original poser, I had no issues until I had to rebuild my machine and chose to use the above version of SageTV.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Sage User

Recording Missed due to Capture Device Failure

I get this message on about 40% of the recordings and always from the same tuner, a PVR150 connected to a standard def Directv receiver. Funny thing is that the recordings are perfectly okay so it's really just a nuisance message, but never feels good to turn on the TV and see the red message indicator.

WHS, Sage 6.6.2, HDPVR, PVR150, HDHR
Old 11-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have always gotten this error periodically on both my 1600 tuners.

However, I recently upgraded to Win7 and started getting it a ton...like a one hour show had this error 30 times...and the resulting .mpg file would be split into 30 individual files.

Last night the WAF was going down fast...so I reverted back to the 1600 driver version I had been using in Vista before...instead of the latest version Win7 installed by default during the install process.

So far, the errors have disappeared.....hope it will last.....

YMMV
Old 11-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Sage Icon

I had never had problems (that I knew of) until upgrading to the latest version of Sage a couple of weeks ago. Of course, I also just discovered that one of my HDHRs was dying (power supply), so that explains some of the errors, but I don't think it explains them all... I am fairly certain that some of the errors are on other tuners.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Sage User

Looking at the release notes, I think the ability for Sage to generate this message is fairly new (6.5.something). The full text of the message talks about a channel not being available, or the capture device may be failing. I have not had a problem with any of the recordings, so perhaps Sage is detecting a problem with the PVR150 even though it appears to be working perfectly.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by c550_560_dr View Post
I think the ability for Sage to generate this message is fairly new (6.5.something).
The ability to view errors like this via the GUI is fairly new. Before, if there was a problem with a capture device it would just appear in the debug log (if you had logging enabled). People requested a way to be alerted to these types of problems, so if there is a problem with a capture device it can be fixed quickly. (instead of missing recordings from an inoperable capture device)

Last edited by peternm22; 11-12-2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Sage User

That makes sense, and it's a welcome feature! I just had the message appear again for a recording. What's interesting is that the message was generated at the end of the recording. It recorded just fine from 2-3pm, but generated the message at 3:00. So maybe something is happening when Sage shuts down the PVR150?
Old 11-14-2009, 03:01 PM
SageTVaholic

I think this error notification feature was actually added in 6.6. What we may be seeing here is a case of a minor error that you never would have noticed in the past unless you went looking for it.