SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Sage Icon

Hangs in Online Service Menu

Andy,

I've had some intermittent problems with "hangs" when accessing the Online Services Menu. It doesn't happen every time, but when it does, Sage stops responding to input or updating the screen (no spinning circle or progress bar either). It seems to last about a minute. During that time it stores up any button presses and then executes them all rapidly once it recovers from the hang.

I think I've found the cause - I'm attaching a partial sageclient_0.txt log file from when the hang occurred (the clock froze at 10:32pm).

From the log, there are errors when trying to display thumbnails for two feeds in the Science-Tech category. They are for Second Opinion and Webb Alert. It looks like these are dead links. I can see that if I paste the link for the Webb Alert thumbnail into my browser, it will time out trying to connect to the website (the timeout period seems to be about a minute, so I think this is what is going on when Sage appears to freeze).

I think it only happens intermittently, because this menu caches it's thumbnails, so the hang only occurs the first time after re-starting or some time later when the cache has been flushed. On a related note, I have noticed that if my internet connection is down the first time I access this screen, the thumbnails will be blank. If I then restore my internet connection and return to the screen, the thumbnails will still be blank (the blanks are cached) unless I restart Sage or wait a few days for the cache to flush.

Anyway, two requests - (1) can you update the RSS feeds to remove these dead links, and (2) see if there is any better way to handle this situation?

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: txt OLService Hang.txt (55.9 KB, 202 views)
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 12-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure why those images would cause a delay. While they don't currently load on my PC, they also don't slow down the SageTV UI. Are there any customizations loaded that could be coincidentally causing a pause?

And, I believe the blank button issue from a failed image load is something that we know about & will be fixing in a future version of SageTV.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Sage User

Just to chime in on this issue. I have also begun to experience this intermittently when browsing online services in the science / tech category. I hadn't experienced it a single time before I began performing the STV updates from SageTV's Advanced Settings about 1 month ago. Possibly an error was introduced?