SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Sage User

TV features

To get the full benefit of SageTV and the HD-200 would I essentially be watching TV via the PVR card in the PC? Is the set-top box out of the picture at this point and so limited to the channel selection of the PVR and loss HD channels (unless I choose the HD-PVR)? Please help me understand this signal flow.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Sage can capture TV from a variety of sources. It can use STB's for access to the greater channel availability. The STB output would be brought into the PC through a capture card (internal or external, doesn't matter). Most capture cards are SD only, and should be connected via S-Video. the exception being the HD-PVR, which is HD, and would be connected via component. The STB can be controlled a number of ways, but all is controlled by the SageTV Server. IR blasters, Serial/USB, or Firewire all work with sage, it's just a matter of what the STB supports.

When Sage needs to record a show, it will select a source that has that show available, if that source is a STB, it will tune the STB to the requested channel, and start recording.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 02-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Sage User

Thanks Fuzzy.
Pardon my ignorance. I saw the the thread on system diagrams (impressive) but actual functionality still confuses me a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Most capture cards are SD only, and should be connected via S-Video.
If connected via S-Video, how does the audio get captured and/or passed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
When Sage needs to record a show, it will select a source that has that show available, if that source is a STB, it will tune the STB to the requested channel, and start recording.
Tune the STB? Do you mean be means of said IR blaster, etc depending how the STB is 'talking' to Sage?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
If connected via S-Video, how does the audio get captured and/or passed?
Most often is will be just Analog Left/Right (pretty much any video capture card supports this). The HD-PVR supports this as well, but ALSO supports SPDIF Ddigital Audio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
Tune the STB? Do you mean be means of said IR blaster, etc depending how the STB is 'talking' to Sage?
Yes, Sage will use the IR Blaster, or Firewire, or Serial to control the set top box.

For instance, say in sage, you choose to watch something on channel 248. It will start recording from the capture card to hard drive, and send 2 4 8 out over the IR Blaster (or firewire, or serial). This way, the s-video output of the stb will be carrying channel 248. It all happens behind the scenes. You will not ever be interacting with the STB directly.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Sage User

I'm reviewing the SageTV MC manual now. I should save the rest of my questions till I actually have the unit and spend some time with it.

I'm a 'how it works' kind of person and not satisfied till I can visualize the whole picture. Plus this is for the family to use and I can't change their routine up or I'll be in the doghouse.
Thanks again.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:44 AM
SageTVaholic

well, there is a trial peroid for the SageTV Server software. Just download it and give it a whirl.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Sage Expert

yea, what fuzzy said...
just wanted to add that the interface of the PC software is the same interface as the HD200, so it will give you a good feel for what you are getting into...