SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Embedded metadata

Hi,

In the new features of V7, I saw this:

Quote:
SageTV recordings now have their full metadata embedded into the file
Files recorded by SageTV now have their complete metadata information embedded into them which enables the reimporting of transferred recordings to be problem-free.
I've tried to have a look at the beginning of a recording I did with V7 but... I only get binary data so I can't tell if metadata are really in there or not.

So, to make sure, does it really means that any .ts file recorded will have the metadata in it as well as a copy of if in wiz.bin? So, it should effectively allow to import these files in a brand new install, without copying the original wiz.bin and it would rebuild itself with all corresponding information (actors, title, date, channel, etc). Is that correct?

Now, for the interesting part of it. Is there a way with V7 (or with a third party tool) to extract the metadata from wiz.bin and "add" those to the original recording? Or at least to extract them in a format that can be use by V7 to rebuild a fresh wiz.bin?

I would like to get all my recording independant of wiz.bin so that it is easier to recover if something happens to my wiz.bin file (I have daily backup but it doesn't protect much about internal corruption of the file that you don't see until it is too late).

I've finished updating everything to V7 and it works fine. I still have the circling ball when stopping a playback or moving out of some menu (it can show for 15-30 seconds which is kind of long) even if the CPU is actually idle doing nothing and there is nothing showing in the log. I can only guess it is processing some data or awaiting some data on the network (I don't do playback on the server itself, only on SageTV Client or the extenders).

Thank you.

ehfortin
Old 05-22-2010, 10:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehfortin View Post
Hi,

In the new features of V7, I saw this:

I've tried to have a look at the beginning of a recording I did with V7 but... I only get binary data so I can't tell if metadata are really in there or not.
It's appended to the end I believe, not the beginning.

Quote:
So, to make sure, does it really means that any .ts file recorded will have the metadata in it as well as a copy of if in wiz.bin? So, it should effectively allow to import these files in a brand new install, without copying the original wiz.bin and it would rebuild itself with all corresponding information (actors, title, date, channel, etc). Is that correct?
Right.

Quote:
Now, for the interesting part of it. Is there a way with V7 (or with a third party tool) to extract the metadata from wiz.bin and "add" those to the original recording? Or at least to extract them in a format that can be use by V7 to rebuild a fresh wiz.bin?
IIRC, V7 adds metadata to recordings made previously (with V6).
Old 05-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

What does IIRC stand for?

If one is contemplating building a new server and installing SAGE 7 from scratch but they want to keep the existing wiz.bin so as not to repeat a number of recordings...

Would you want to upgrade your existing V6 installation to V7 and then move the recordings, wiz.bin, etc to the new server?

I am assuming based on the above feedback that the V6 recordings would eventually get embedded metadata from the V7 upgrade?

When attempting to move the existing recordings do we still need the old directories to be accessible so that Sage can internally update?

Or does the embedded metadata eliminate the need for this?

Thanks in advance...

Randy
Old 05-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Sage Expert

"If I Recall Correctly"
Old 05-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
It's appended to the end I believe, not the beginning.

Right.

IIRC, V7 adds metadata to recordings made previously (with V6).
If so, what will trigger this? I've watch a few older recording and the last modified date has not changed (still original recording date). I've let the system run for a few days now and no recordings seems to have changed based on the modified date.

Thank you.

ehfortin
Old 05-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehfortin View Post
Hi,

If so, what will trigger this? I've watch a few older recording and the last modified date has not changed (still original recording date). I've let the system run for a few days now and no recordings seems to have changed based on the modified date.

Thank you.

ehfortin
It won't change the modification date when it alters the file to avoid causing other problems (yes, software can do that; it has the ability to set the modification date to anything it likes)
Old 05-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Back to one of my original questions...

If I update my existing V6 installation to V7, my V6 recordings will get updated with their meta data.

Then when I move the updated V6 recordings to a new processor/V7 install will the new processor need to see the old sage recording directories?

A long long time ago I had to move some sage recordings around and in order to make certain Sage did not lose the recordings, the old directories needed to be seen by Sage at least once.

Is this still a requirement?

Thanks

Randy
Old 05-23-2010, 04:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Randy,

The purpose of embedding the metadata is so that you can move the files to any video directory you like and Sage will be able to figure out what it is. This means we don't have to fiddle around making sure Sage can "see" the old directories anymore, just move the file, run a scan and you're done. This is a BIG improvement.

Tom

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Sage Icon

When you edit the video that has sagetv metadata, you are at risk of losing it. What are the options of putting the data back in or copying from the previously edit?
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!
Old 05-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Tom...

Thanks for confirming what I had hoped was going to happen.

Yes, this does simplify the upgrade to a new processor.

I will still need to upgrade the V6 wiz.bin file to V7 so that I do not lose what I have already viewed/deleted and do not want rerecorded.

Again thanks for your assistance...

Randy
Old 05-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

I typically convert my recordings from mpg to "good quality deinterlaced AVI" for more compact storage (with all the recording I do, 2T would overflow quickly if I didin't do this) and better viewing performance on my underpowered Placeshifter client, then delete the original mpg. Will the converted recordings also get the metadata (& be recognized when moved to other locations), or is that a mpg-only feature?
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ditto, but for MKV/MP4 as well as AVI.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi,

I like the idea of encoding the metadata in the recordings (.ts in my case). However, I'm still trying to see this. On a unix box, I can do a tail -f of a .ts file that has been recorded since V7 and I can definitely see the metadata. However, if I try to do the same on an older recording done with V6, I don't see the metadata. Or, if it is there, it doesn't show as if it is.

So, I have two questions. What is the best way to see if a specific file have been updated with the metadata?

And what trigger this update? Just starting SageTV? Or you have to watch those? I noticed a process that was using a whole core when I first started V7 for about 10-15 minutes (SageTVEncoder or something like this) but I'm not sure it would be long enough to do update on over 700-750 recordings.

Thank you.

ehfortin