SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

Steps to move to a new computer

So, I am building a new server and the parts are just starting to arrive. After I get it all working well, I am going to move SageTV over to it. I wanted to get prepared for making the move and trying to minimize disruption. Am I overlooking anything obvious? I am still running version 6, as I didn't see the point to upgrading until this server is complete

1) Leave existing SageTV setup working and get new server fully functional
2) Backup existing SageTV folder (wiz.bin)
3) Locate licenses for SageTV and extenders
4) Move physical recording harddrives over the new server, and get them mapped as the same drive letters to avoid metadata loss
5) Install tuner cards in new server
6) Install SageTV (same version 6?) and go through setup (?)
7) Copy over wiz.bin and settings files to new server
8) Get HD100s operating

I guess I am not sure about the final steps and what I should and should not do. I figure the wiz.bin will have the metadata as long as the recordings are located in the same directories. It would be nice to maintain my channel setups as well as the IR blaster commands to control my various boxes, but not sure if copying over the properties file is a good idea or not?

I figure this has been done a bunch of times, so if someone can provide a link to a thread that outlines it... TIA
QTY 2 dual-core AMD 3.0GHz Opteron processors, Windows 7 Pro, 4G RAM, 500GByte system drive, 3TByte recording drives, ATI video Radeon 5500, on-board audio, 3 HD100 Extenders, Gigabyte Switch, 2 Haup. PV150 tuners
Old 07-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Looks like you have the steps correct. You could try copying over the whole sage directory after you install sage the first time. (Make sure you back up/rename the clean install) Thats worked for me in the past.

Really reinstalling is typically a breeze doing it that way. I've done it several times. Just make sure you install the Sage software first to register the DLLs.

Good luck!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Sage Icon

I just did virtually the same thing about a month ago, and it went very smoothly. I just followed the instructions in the FAQ for moving to a new computer. There were two things that were issues:
1) I tried installing v6 in the new machine, and found that nielm's dynamic customizable menus plug-in seems to be broken with new installs. It worked fine on my old machine (and had for a long time) but would not work on the new one when I installed it. If you read the v6 thread, it appears this is true for everyone doing a new install. Of course, if you don't use DCM, it won't affect you. My solution was to just bite the bullet and install v7. If you do install v6 and Nielm's DCM and it DOES work, please report back and tell me how!!

2) I forgot that you have to register HD100 extenders manually, using a separate piece of software that is under Start/programs/SageTV. It had been so long that I had not remembered doing that. Thankfully this forum rocks, and I found the solution quickly after getting the "TRIAL" message on the extenders.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.