SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Sage Fanatic

Question mkv and HD Audio Opinions

Hello,

I am finally starting to convert my blu-ray collection for SageTV. I am a little disappointed that SageTV doesn't support menus (like for DVDs). Because SageTV doesn't support menus and I don't believe it is likely to, I am converting my blu-rays using MakeMKV instead of copying the full 50 gig disk to my drive with features I can't play (I only use extenders, no PowerDVD option for me). I am converting only the main file, 100% uncompressed (mkv files around 20 to 30 gigs).

What I am unsure about is the audio. I know SageTV doesn't support DTS HD Audio (lossless). I know the HD200s can pass the Core DTS to a receiver but not the DTS HD. Because of this I am wondering if it is worthwhile to include the lossless audio stream in the MKV files. By not including the files I save 3 or 4 gigs per movie.

Also, I am not an audio buff, I am not sure if I could tell the difference between Core DTS and lossless if the HD200 could pass it to the receiver. In addition, I don't know if you need very high end speakers to hear the difference (which I don't have).

How does everyone feel on this issue? Do you think DTS HD is worthwhile or should I just stick with Core and save the space?

Thanks for the help,
Will

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 07-26-2010, 06:31 PM
SageTVaholic

If all you're going to be playing them with is an HD200, it's really not worth it keeping the full lossless, as it's never going to be able to play it back. Taking it a bit further, if you DO use HD200's exclusively, you may actually want to convert that DTS to an AC3 track. This will allow actual decoding on the HD200, which is of use if you DON'T have a DTS capable AVR (like in bedrooms and such). There's a utility around here to do this conversion in MKV's after the fact, so it's a decision that can be made later.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
If all you're going to be playing them with is an HD200, it's really not worth it keeping the full lossless, as it's never going to be able to play it back. Taking it a bit further, if you DO use HD200's exclusively, you may actually want to convert that DTS to an AC3 track. This will allow actual decoding on the HD200, which is of use if you DON'T have a DTS capable AVR (like in bedrooms and such). There's a utility around here to do this conversion in MKV's after the fact, so it's a decision that can be made later.
I may be mis-understanding your post but I play full BD rips with my HD200 all the time, that is with the HD audio converted to 5.1. I rip the main movie with DVDFab and then use Clown_BD to convert the audio if necessary. I have done so on 20+ BDs so far, which includes AVATAR, and they all played smoothly and continuously on my HD200.

PC: W7 32bit, Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad, 4GB DRAM
Cap Devices: Colosuss+UIRT+Cable STB; HDHR QAM+OTA, USB MediaSonic (6TB)
Network Players: HD200, (2) HD300s
Viewing: Samsung 55" 8000, Sony 50" and HP 37"
The more complicated it is the more likely it will break!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bits View Post
I may be mis-understanding your post but I play full BD rips with my HD200 all the time, that is with the HD audio converted to 5.1. I rip the main movie with DVDFab and then use Clown_BD to convert the audio if necessary. I have done so on 20+ BDs so far, which includes AVATAR, and they all played smoothly and continuously on my HD200.
Not sure what you are misunderstanding. I simply suggested keeping either just the core DTS track, if you have a DTS capable AVR, or if not, converting the DTS track to AC3, so the HD200 can decode it.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
There's a utility around here to do this conversion in MKV's after the fact, so it's a decision that can be made later.
I didn't mention it, but I do add an additional AC3 audio track to the mkv's using mkv Audio Converter (a program written for Popcorn Hour).

After doing more research and reading the responses I'm going to just keep the Core DTS track. I read mixed information online that mkv's don't support DTS-MA (HD) streams (not sure if this is correct). I also read that the main difference between Core DTS and DTS HD is Core provides the 5.1 channels while the HD provides 7.1.

Considering my setup, I think Core DTS should work.

Thanks for the help.

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 07-26-2010, 11:03 PM
SageTVaholic

DTS-MA is actually far superior to DTS (it's 7.1 lossless compression, as opposed to 5.1 Lossy compression), so if you had the capability to utilize it, it would make sense to keep it in. If, however, you're using just HD extenders for playback, then, as you've already suggested, there's no real point. DTS or AC3 is all you can use, so why cram up the drive with anything else?

Old 07-27-2010, 06:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
DTS-MA is actually far superior to DTS (it's 7.1 lossless compression, as opposed to 5.1 Lossy compression), so if you had the capability to utilize it, it would make sense to keep it in. If, however, you're using just HD extenders for playback, then, as you've already suggested, there's no real point. DTS or AC3 is all you can use, so why cram up the drive with anything else?
For me it's in hopes that one day an extender will support hd audio. I would hate to have to rerip mymovies if/when that day ever comes. Plus I will build a client one day that does hd passthrough. I figure why I am ripping the movie should keep it future proof.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Sage Expert

Here is an interesting comparison of PCM-Lossless-Lossy compression for DD and DTS. Worth the read if you haven't seen it before
Old 08-03-2010, 09:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
For me it's in hopes that one day an extender will support hd audio. I would hate to have to rerip mymovies if/when that day ever comes. Plus I will build a client one day that does hd passthrough. I figure why I am ripping the movie should keep it future proof.
You still haven't built the i3 system? It is awesome...Granted certain codecs and sage v7 don't get along, but that is a whole other issue...
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
You still haven't built the i3 system? It is awesome...Granted certain codecs and sage v7 don't get along, but that is a whole other issue...
Yeah funds is the limiting factor right now so just waiting around a bit.