SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

I think it will configure itself to come back on to record.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graygeek View Post
WOL is only inplimented on the HD300, my guess is it only works with Sage7.

By putting HD100's on a dedicated NIC, I was able to set the NIC for "wake on directed packet" and have the same effect. My HD100 would try to connect to the server IP and caused the server to wake. I would assume this would work with HD200's. But, again they need to be on a dedicated NIC since any traffic aimed at the server IP would wake it.
So basically, WOL won't work then?
Old 10-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsm View Post
So basically, WOL won't work then?
Yes, with the HD300 it does work, there is a bug relative to the expected MAC address, the new parameter is supposed to fix that. In my case I moved the HD300 to the NIC that matched to MAC the HD300 thought they were supposed to wake. If you get all the planets aligned it works great. A bit of touchup on Sage's end and it will be good to go.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Yes, with the HD300 it does work, there is a bug relative to the expected MAC address, the new parameter is supposed to fix that. In my case I moved the HD300 to the NIC that matched to MAC the HD300 thought they were supposed to wake. If you get all the planets aligned it works great. A bit of touchup on Sage's end and it will be good to go.
I guess I should say it won't work with my HD100?
Old 10-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

What version of SageTV is this supposed to start working in? I only have one NIC in use so the target MAC should not be a problem. And I know WOL works because I have used my dd-wrt to wake it. I guess I just need to test it on the devices....

-M
Old 10-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I guess I should say it won't work with my HD100?
If you can run the HD100 on a dedicated NIC as described previously ... but as true WOL then yes there is no WOL support with the HD100 or 200
Old 10-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
If you can run the HD100 on a dedicated NIC as described previously ... but as true WOL then yes there is no WOL support with the HD100 or 200
Thats what I was looking for... I guess I need to think if my machine will ever stay asleep with wake on LAN enabled....
Old 10-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Excellent, looks like I would have never seen the parsing issue with my setup.

Let us know how you make out with the bug report.
They are planning to fix this in the next build.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Sage User

I got automatic sleep and WOL to work with my HD300 and Sage V7 RC2. See posts 11-13 on this thread:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51200
Old 10-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Thats what I was looking for... I guess I need to think if my machine will ever stay asleep with wake on LAN enabled....
Here's something you might want to try. Go to Control Panel / Device Manager. Expand Network Adapters, right click on your network adapter, click on properties, click on Power Management. Check the boxes for "Allow this device to wake the computer" and "Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer". Worked for me on my Windows 7 32 bit box. Apparently "magic packet" = WOL.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by notverysage View Post
Here's something you might want to try. Go to Control Panel / Device Manager. Expand Network Adapters, right click on your network adapter, click on properties, click on Power Management. Check the boxes for "Allow this device to wake the computer" and "Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer". Worked for me on my Windows 7 32 bit box. Apparently "magic packet" = WOL.
Yes, that is correct. However, as I understand the magic packet on works on the HD300 currently.

-M
Old 10-08-2010, 05:37 AM
Sage Aficionado

BTW would the new version wake up on scheduled recording.
I am pretty sure I missed 1 Bill Maher last friday...
Old 10-08-2010, 05:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

Also what is a good power settings for sage TV
Sleep vs hibernate?
sleep at how many minutes?
Thanks
Old 10-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by impro View Post
BTW would the new version wake up on scheduled recording.
I am pretty sure I missed 1 Bill Maher last friday...
Yes, Sage does handle setting the system to wake for recordings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impro View Post
Also what is a good power settings for sage TV
Sleep vs hibernate?
sleep at how many minutes?
Thanks
I use S3 Sleep, works very well and I set Windows to go to sleep after 30 minutes ... saves power and reduces dust buildup in the server
Old 11-07-2010, 02:22 PM

I have had no luck getting WOL to work with pretty vanilla Windows 7, Sage 7 (... . 23) and HD300. I have realtek pcie gigibit built into my ASUS motherboard. I have NIC set to NOT turn off device to save power and wake with magic packet (it'll never go to sleep if you have it wake on any traffic). Those are the only 3 power management settings for the NIC. Have only one NIC in machine.

HD300 connects fine to sagetv server, and autoconnect will work, if I use MCE remote to wake sleeping machine myself, but WOL packet does nothing.

I tried setting the forced_mac_address property, but for some reason that caused the LAN connection on the PC to lose internet connectivity and server wouldn't show in the server list on HD300, so I deleted that.

Is WOL something that router firewall might block? Doesn't seem likely.

Is there a good free piece of test software that might help diagnose this problem without having to become a network guru?

thanks
Old 11-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Sage Expert

Has the issue of SageTV not sending the first two letters/digits correctly been fixed?

I just upgraded to the latest beta, and the HD300 is still sending out 00 at the beginning of the MAC address instead of 6C. I confirmed this by enabling debug logging on the HD300. I have forced_mac_address set in the Sage.properties too, but still no luck.

Is it possible that the HD300 is still storing the invalid MAC address?
Old 11-07-2010, 05:21 PM
Sage Expert

It's working now, yippie! I upgraded the HD300 to the latest firmware and now it seems to be working. Happy day.... now onto the next problem...
Old 11-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Sage User

WOL has been working great for me
Old 12-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerw View Post
They are planning to fix this in the next build.
I am having the same problem. My SageTV HTPC's MAC address starts with 9C, not 00. With WireShark, I can sniff the magic packet that the HD300 sends to attempt a Wake On LAN request of the SageTV HTPC and I see that the HD300 is sending the request to a MAC address with the first byte of 00 instead of 9C - but the remaining bytes are correct.

I am using the latest build of SageTV Media Center v7 for Windows and the latest firmware update for the HD300. (Both as of this past weekend)

Has this fix not been rolled out, yet?

Thanks!

Last edited by billism; 12-09-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by billism View Post
I am having the same problem. My SageTV HTPC's MAC address starts with 9C, not 00. With WireShark, I can sniff the magic packet that the HD300 sends to attempt a Wake On LAN request of the SageTV HTPC and I see that the HD300 is sending the request to a MAC address with the first byte of 00 instead of 9C - but the remaining bytes are correct.

I am using the latest build of SageTV Media Center v7 for Windows and the latest firmware update for the HD300. (Both as of this past weekend)

Has this fix not been rolled out, yet?

Thanks!
This was fixed several beta's ago .... I personally could not verify that since my NICs all start with 00. I suggest you submit a trouble ticket. Sage is very responsive to problems like this. Please keep us posted how you make out.