SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-09-2010, 06:33 AM
Sage User

Wish list for necessary features that are missing

AFAIC, the whole interface needs a re-write to get away from that childish 5th grade interface;

1. Unnecessary, annoying, detracting animation (that can't be turned off until the initial setup process is completed),

2. Overly large font size while in full screen mode,

3. One button direct access to the channel editor in the context menu and the Mani Menu,

4. Ability to add a single specific channel without doing a whole spectrum scan (this is a huge oversight guys!!),

5. Ability to specify a channel search range (similar to what that WinTV7 has. Why waste time scanning through unused channels, especially CATV QAM channels where digital channels usually start above channel 70 (more or less depending on your MSO)? This also applies to OTA where 75% (+ or -) of the markets have no VHF channels anymore,

6. The ability to completely delete a channel, not just 'hide' it,

7. The ability to edit an existing channels call letters that you added (due to typos for example). Anyone know if and where this can be done in sage.properties??
Old 10-09-2010, 07:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Welcome to the forum

Sage TV 7 IS the new interface. Take a look at SageTV 6 or just search the forums for many threads regarding the interface.

1. Not sure what you are referring to here. Are you referring to when running the configuration wizard?
2. The font in full screen mode is designed for the 10 ft. interface and larger screen sizes. I do run a client on a 22" LCD and do not see this issue. And course not on my 42" plasma either.
3. Other than during setup or when a new channel gets added I never have to modify my channel setup. And I believe a shortcut trick was described in the forum on how to get to it in a couple of clicks.
4. I don't understand why you would want to add a channel without first scanning the channels to see what you can receive in the first place. (Refer to page 171 in the Sage manual) I suppose you could add the tuner and choose not to scan and then just add a channel.
5. Depending on what tuner you use you can stop the scan at any time. I use a HDHR which generate a .scn file. Based on this Sage immediately reads this file and gets a list of all the QAM station that is in the clear. I can stop after I get the 37 stations and not wait for it to finish running thru the other 600.
6. Does it really matter? Disable them all and only enable the ones you want. You can also set Sage to automatically add new channels when they become available.
7. I do this for the HDHR in SiliconDust's utility. Not sure if other tuners are the same. I suppose you could manaully add the channel using the correct call sign. (Page 170 of the manual.)
Make sure to refer to the manual that was installed with the Sage program.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Which version?
You might consider referring to the manual which is quite informative especially for new users.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:15 AM
SageTVaholic

I believe they are still in the process of up updating for the new version that is about to be released. But most of the core commands and processes are the same and they are in the SageTV 6 manual. Well worth the reading.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:34 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Sage TV 7 IS the new interface.
But is still in "beta", correct?

1. Yes, in the initial setup directly after you install the program,
2. In full screen mode?? It's still way to large. The small window mode is alright.
3. Your lucky. Living in a market where there is a 2nd country involved (Canada), editing is a matter of necessity!
4. I already know what is available. I don't need to 'scan' known channels. It's a waste of time for the most part unless you are trying to add channels under 'DX' conditions where anything goes. I would like to believe most already know what is available in their market by now and this is not their first 'digital' tuner. Of course, I'm referring to OTA. CATV, might be another thing as most MSO's seem to love to play 'musical channels'. In my market, there are only four unencrypted digital channels that provide eight local stations.
6. Yes, if it is incorrect or added my mistake!
7. The tuner I'm using is Hauppauge's HVR-1500 and I was under the assumption Sage is the whole interface for the card. The channel list is store in Sages software not Hauppauge's. Am I missing something here??

The version I have is V6.6 and I have referred to the manual that is sparse when it comes to the channel editor portion.

Last edited by videobruce; 10-09-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Sage Icon

Version 7 is actually a Release Candidate now with final release about 2 weeks away according to Narflex. Another thing to consider is that generally Sage betas are more stable than most other final products.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
AFAIC, the whole interface needs a re-write to get away from that childish 5th grade interface;
Just a few things:

1.Welcome!

2. You catch more flies with honey.

3. This forum is neither owned by, nor officially endorced by Sage LLC, (although they do frequently visit). You are basically just bitching at other Sage TV customers.

4. Don't assume that your problems or experiences are everyone's. For instance, in the 5+ years I've used Sage, I can count on one hand the number of times Ive needed the channel editor. Please note, I am not saying your observations/comments/problems are invalid or that there is no room for improvement within SageTV. I will postulate though that your issues probably are only experienced by a small number of users and Sage is a small company, therefore your problems probably represent a lower priority to them at the moment, if they are aware of them at all. Once Sage 7 goes gold, if the problems sill exist, you should file an official bug report, as this is the only way to assure Sage is aware of your specific issues.

Good luck. I hope your Sage experience takes an upturn soon. It can be a great addition to your home entertainment experience.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_l View Post
3. This forum is neither owned by, nor officially endorced by Sage LLC, (although they do frequently visit).
Actually the forums are operated by SageTV LLC and moderated by SageTV employees, for the purpose of user-to-user communication. What you mean to say is that they are not an official channel for bug reports, feature requests, complaints to management, or other customer support issues. Use the support request form for that. (And it never hurts to read the forum rules.)
Old 10-10-2010, 04:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Although the forums are not an official channel, I'm always amazed on just how active the Sage employees are: Narflex has over 5,100 posts, Andy (Opus4) even more, Donkey has lots too, I'm sure I'm missing others.

It's like they say in the restaurant business - What's the one thing you always find in a good restaurant and rarely find in a bad restaurant? The owner.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Actually the forums are operated by SageTV LLC and moderated by SageTV employees, for the purpose of user-to-user communication. What you mean to say is that they are not an official channel for bug reports, feature requests, complaints to management, or other customer support issues. Use the support request form for that. (And it never hurts to read the forum rules.)
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ This:

I should know better than to post when I'm stil asleep.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The problem with posts like this, is that you first complain that the interface needs a re-write, which you later acknowledge that they are working on it. So how can we take you serious as someone who will add value to a these forums? We want to help people, but only people who actually want help and aren't here just to complain....
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 10-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
The problem with posts like this, is that you first complain that the interface needs a re-write, which you later acknowledge that they are working on it. So how can we take you serious as someone who will add value to a these forums? We want to help people, but only people who actually want help and aren't here just to complain....
Actually, the way it struck me was:

"Am I a childish 5th grader? I like the V6 interface. Hmmm... Ooh, I wonder if Speed Racer reruns are in the schedule? Heyyyy, wait a minute. Childish 5th grader " WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot?

S

Last edited by sleonard; 10-10-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
But is still in "beta", correct?
Why would it matter if it was still in beta? IMO if you're posting a "wish list" of features that are missing checking out the very latest version regardless of where it is in the development cycle is the only thing that makes sense. Why evaluate a UI that is going to be replaced in a couple of weeks when the release version comes out?

Oh and.......

1. I have no idea what you're talking about, but in all fairness the last time I installed Sage was quite a few years ago. Also I'm sure some things have changed with v7.

2. Never had a problem in v6 or v7. I run Sage on 57" and 19" screens. The UI is really designed primarily for use with a remote from across the room. If I was sitting a foot from my computer monitor I would probably agree with you, but 10-15 foot away sitting on the couch the font size is prefect IMO.

3. I don't understand the need for this because it's not like channels are added every day. For me there is no way I want a link to the channel editor on the Main Menu. It would add unnecessary clutter and make it more likely someone who doesn't know what they're doing would access it by mistake. IMO the UI for the general users (wife and kids) needs to be relatively clean and nontechnical. I don't care how much stuff is on the deeper technical menus because I'm the only one in my family that will be navigating and tinkering around with them.

4. No idea about this one because I always prefer to scan.

5. Cable companies are phasing out analog and going all digital. Analog will be cut off in my area Dec. 7th. Things are constantly being moved around to different frequencies and channel numbers. When the analogs go I'm sure they'll put something in their place. What I'm saying is during all of this transition you can't always count on channels being where you expect them to be. Also in the past I've done scans using QAM tuners and found channels being broadcast that weren't available on the providers cable boxes yet. I'm not saying limiting the scan range is a bad idea just that it adds to the possibility that someone may not get all the channels that are available to them because most people aren't going to know exactly what they can receive.

6. I think this can be done in v7 because I deleted one by mistake the other day when I was trying to reset the mapping to the default. It's no longer listed in the channel editor. I don't know if this was possible in v6 or not.

7. No idea about this one.

Last edited by blade; 10-11-2010 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Problem, not only do 5th graders use SageTV, but so do pre-kindergarten kids.
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)