SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Sage Icon

Have you tried contacting the VPlayer author so he could try making it more compliant?
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 02-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur View Post
Have you tried contacting the VPlayer author so he could try making it more compliant?
Done... I sent an email with the issues as well as a link to the specific posting listing the issues.

-Jason
Old 02-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Glad you made some progress. Thanks for looking into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreichen View Post
  • VPlayer's timeline displays a constant negative time value and does not allow seeking within the video.
I notice that the Nasa stream does that in Vplayer, but the apple "bip/bop" sample does not. I assume it's because the "bip/bop" stream is fixed length, and the Nasa stream is not. But, it seems like maybe you could give the "current fixed length" and keep adjusting that as the SageTV file grows ... ? Again, I'm not clear on HLS details.

Quote:
It was also brought to my attention that Android 3.0 will come with a media player that supports HTTP Live Streaming. Obviously I'd rather support something that ships with the OS, but we'll have to see. I'm still waiting for Samsung to deliver 2.2 for my Captivate. Not that it's a big deal that it shuts off by itself at random times or anything.
Isn't 3.0 only for tablets? That won't help us Android phone users.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
It was also brought to my attention that Android 3.0 will come with a media player that supports HTTP Live Streaming. Obviously I'd rather support something that ships with the OS, but we'll have to see. I'm still waiting for Samsung to deliver 2.2 for my Captivate. Not that it's a big deal that it shuts off by itself at random times or anything.
Yes... Honeycomb has a new framework (Stagefright) versus the 'old' OpenCore framework. However that will be a while on our Samsung units... As an FYI, you can get 2.2 for your fascinate right now.... Here is the XDA link to the forum. I have the Epic and am running a 2.2.1 ROM (Nebula)

Considering that 2.2 supports the HTML5 <video> tag, have you thought about adding the videojs.com player? Considering that you use the jquery library for browser identification, an alternate page on the server could add the necessary streaming for android (and others including non Quicktime X non-mobile browsers...) to work.

-Jason

Last edited by Jason; 02-03-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by redondo_se View Post
I notice that the Nasa stream does that in Vplayer, but the apple "bip/bop" sample does not. I assume it's because the "bip/bop" stream is fixed length, and the Nasa stream is not. But, it seems like maybe you could give the "current fixed length" and keep adjusting that as the SageTV file grows ... ? Again, I'm not clear on HLS details.
My EPIC streams both! Which Android version are you running? I am running a 2.2.1 version (See above...)

-Jason
Old 02-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
My EPIC streams both! Which Android version are you running? I am running a 2.2.1 version (See above...)

-Jason
I can stream both on my phone, but the Nasa streams show a negative time value and you can't seek. I also have an Epic. I'm running Midnight ROM v2.1.1 (froyo DK28).

You mentioned videojs.com, there is also JW Player. I wonder what the experience would be like with one of these "embedded" players. I mean, would it be as nice as playing the stream in a standalone player full screen?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
I can stream both on my phone, but the Nasa streams show a negative time value and you can't seek. I also have an Epic. I'm running Midnight ROM v2.1.1 (froyo DK28).

You mentioned videojs.com, there is also JW Player. I wonder what the experience would be like with one of these "embedded" players. I mean, would it be as nice as playing the stream in a standalone player full screen?
Well, they both are based on Video for Everybody (or at least use the same design elements...). Video for Everybody (VfE) uses no javascript, so it does not work for Android (<2.1), Mediaelementjs.com (an offshoot of VfE...) use a Flash 'forward' compatible player, which leaves videojs.com as the fully 'compatible' HTML5 compliant player.

jwPlayer also embeds a flashplayer plugin like mediaelementjs, so I would go with videojs as the non-flash choice. The problem with videojs is that it does allow a full screen experience on Android (afaik...), so that is a downside.

-Jason
Old 02-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Done... I sent an email with the issues as well as a link to the specific posting listing the issues.

-Jason
Thanks, we'll see what kind of response we get.
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Glad you made some progress. Thanks for looking into it.

Are you referring to the
Code:
#EXT-X-ENDLIST
line at the end of the playlist? If that line is present it means the list is complete and the client doesn't need to redownload the playlist again. This would be the case for a Sage recording that has finished. If the line is not present, it means it's a live stream and that more segments will be added so the client should download a new copy of the playlist at some point. I don't really have a choice as to when I include that or when I don't. Again, it's something else that's in the spec but VPlayer doesn't handle properly.

Quote:
Isn't 3.0 only for tablets? That won't help us Android phone users.
That's been the focus so far but there has been some new news that 3.0 will run on phones at some point. I think it will happen but I'm not holding my breath, though.
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
... As an FYI, you can get 2.2 for your fascinate right now.... Here is the XDA link to the forum. I have the Epic and am running a 2.2.1 ROM (Nebula)

Considering that 2.2 supports the HTML5 <video> tag, have you thought about adding the videojs.com player? Considering that you use the jquery library for browser identification, an alternate page on the server could add the necessary streaming for android (and others including non Quicktime X non-mobile browsers...) to work.

-Jason
Thanks for the link. I was holding out for an official update but at some point I'll try rooting it since they're so slow releasing updates.

The problem right now isn't really the embedding of the html tags, but more about the video codec (H264 vs WebM vs Theora) and protocol (HTTP progressive download vs HTTP Live Streaming). In order to do the real time transcoding I have to use HTTP Live Streaming.
, Java 1.6.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Sage Fanatic

I love the interface. Lots of quality coding there.

On my Droid the apple stream works (launches vplayer) but the nasa stream does the text thing. Happy to test anything you want.
8tb RAID5 storage/media/other &3tb RAID5 backup storage on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680
1tb 3 disk Recording Pool
all in a beautiful Antec 1200
SageMyMovies/Comskip/PlayON/SageDCT/SRE
HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 02-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

So I just discovered this... and... I'm just speechless.

Wow.

WOW.

You are the man. THE MAN. I'm just... mindblown lol.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
  • The playlist must have the full URL in it for each segment, which as far as I can tell does not follow the standard. This wouldn't be a blocker, I could create full URLs with a little refactoring of my code.
  • It does not support Variant Playlists, which are the higher level playlists redondo_se discussed earlier. Or at least it doesn't support them very well. It kept going in circles trying to decide which bitrate to play and never did begin playback. Without these it will not do variable bitrate streaming.
Fyi, I just tried opening the Apple bip/bop Variant playlist from the browser, and it did prompt me to open Vplayer and started playing the first item in the list. I don't know that it's actually going to dynamically change the stream based on available bandwidth, but it played. Also, that Apple playlist does not use the full URL for each segment, they are relative.

Try this link:

Apple Bip Bop All
Old 02-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Sage Fanatic

IS there anyway (in a development context) to remove the "check the browser/OS" in the code so those of us on android can test streaming at our own peril???

please please please
8tb RAID5 storage/media/other &3tb RAID5 backup storage on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680
HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 02-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptheripper View Post
IS there anyway (in a development context) to remove the "check the browser/OS" in the code so those of us on android can test streaming at our own peril???

please please please
Sure... Use the Dolphin Browser HD and use the setting to change the browser type to iPhone...
Old 02-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Sage Icon

Regarding the various HTTP live streaming test on Android devices, if you are running Android OS 2.3 or newer, try

httplive://devimages.apple.com/iphone/samples/bipbop/gear1/prog_index.m3u8

or such... Basically you have to substitute the HTTP by HTTPLIVE, it seems dumb for them to have made up a new prefix, but...
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 02-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Regarding the various HTTP live streaming test on Android devices, if you are running Android OS 2.3 or newer, try

or such... Basically you have to substitute the HTTP by HTTPLIVE, it seems dumb for them to have made up a new prefix, but...
I saw that tidbit on XDA. Only problem is when the hell will anyone with a non google phone get 2.3? I have 2.2 on my epic 4G only because I'm running a custom ROM that was leaked.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Sage Fanatic

I have a motorola Droid (v1) running Android 2.3.2 (Build GRH78C)

The test stream works perfectly in vplayer. Time counter is perfect, i can fast move back and forth in stream as well!!!!!

Quote:

HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 02-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I saw that tidbit on XDA. Only problem is when the hell will anyone with a non google phone get 2.3? I have 2.2 on my epic 4G only because I'm running a custom ROM that was leaked.
ROMs dont need to be leaked. The code is open source, someone just has to write and compile.

I run blackdroidmod's ROM called Ultimate Droid 3.0.0

theultimatedroid.com
HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 02-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptheripper View Post
The test stream works perfectly in vplayer.
Well, my understanding is that the httplive:// would work in the default media player, no need for VPlayer...

Tags
mobile, web