SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Given that Plex has a plugin api... Wouldn't it be fairly easy to write a plugin that exposes the sagetv files + metadata to the Plex server? I've never looked at the plugin api... I sort of lost interest when I realized that there isn't a linux client, so there's no easy way that I could do any development/testing on this myself.
Any chance you wanna look at the plugin API with ME :-)
Old 12-13-2011, 11:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiX64 View Post
Any chance you wanna look at the plugin API with ME :-)
It's not a question of wanting to... I'd love to... but, it's all about time... Lately, I have less and less time to spend on SageTV related projects... and when I do find time, I try to add small enhancements and bug fixes to the BMT/Phoenix products
Old 12-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Sage Icon

I know i was just hoping you changed your mind since the last time we chatted on email :-)

so i took a quick look at some plugins which are already available in plex, and they are just python scripts. I think it will be doable to create a plugin which sean suggested. The plugin would basically be py script which will take the medafile name "sage recording file name" and use the sagex api to do a lookup and get the metadata.

Once i have the metadata for a particular element, i can copy the necessary elements title, description, so on and so forth into the plex format. I won't have to do anything with grabbing the file locations, symlinks, or anything of that nature as the recordings directory will be directly mapped into plex.

I will work on this this afternoon and hopefully will have something rudimentary working in a few hours. that might be a bit ambitious but thats my goal :-)
Old 12-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
I will work on this this afternoon and hopefully will have something rudimentary working in a few hours. that might be a bit ambitious but thats my goal :-)
Try here...

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/..._1#entry104559

While this may be far simpler than what you had planned, how about a 'simple' script to sync the watch/unwatched status across the two platforms.

In doing so, Sage would be 'relegated' to a backend status (recording and deleting files based on diskspace...) and the Headend (plex) could be used for viewing and such.

I have tried a variey of new packages and come to the conclusion that for me, plex is my new frontend. I use a couple of 'older' ATV1 units running crystalbuntu (http://stmlabs.com/forum/) and the plexbmc client (http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/...ent-for-xbmc//) for my daily uses.

If Sam (Crystalbuntu...) gets the ATV1 version of a native plex client, things could get even better! (http://stmlabs.com/forum/topic/plex-...nter-for-linux).

-Jason
Old 12-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Sage Icon

So while this is cool, this isn't along the lines of what i am talking about at all. I am actualy working on a metadata agent plugin which will use the catologued information in BMT and pull it into Plex media center.

This way when you add your //sagepvr/recordings source in plex you can select my BMT "metadata agent" and plex will use it to find show information for that source...

about to run my first test shortly :-)
Old 12-13-2011, 03:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
so i took a quick look at some plugins which are already available in plex, and they are just python scripts. I think it will be doable to create a plugin which sean suggested. The plugin would basically be py script which will take the medafile name "sage recording file name" and use the sagex api to do a lookup and get the metadata.
I am pretty sure that someone has done something similar for XBMC that you might be able to adapt - isn't Plex a fork from XBMC? Search for SageTV on the XBMC forums - I believe there were two guys working on this so you should find at least two main threads.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I am pretty sure that someone has done something similar for XBMC that you might be able to adapt - isn't Plex a fork from XBMC? Search for SageTV on the XBMC forums - I believe there were two guys working on this so you should find at least two main threads.
there is something for XBMC but its unfortunately completely different. it is a script which runs and creates symbolic links. the symbolic links are formatted in such a way that XBMC can read them. this is actually a direct AGENT as plex calls it which will allw plex to pull metadata about our sage recordings directly from BMT!

sahweet :-) makes me smile to think about it working.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Would you also be able to have it update every time a recording starts and/or stops? You could even use SJQ to do this I assume.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Sage Icon

that shouldn't be a problem since you can tell plex to monitor your folders and scan on change or update...i can't remember what exactly the setting is, but it is there for sure. I can look for it quick if you want
Old 12-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Sage User

Season and Episode Numbers in Filenames-HDHomerun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LehighBri View Post
Plex gets it from the season and episode # that sage puts in the filename. Unfortunately Plex won't import/recognize TV files that sage does NOT have a season and episode # for.

Nonetheless, to turn it on for new recordings in Sage, go to Detailed Setup -> Customize -> and set "Include season and episode numbers in filenames" to "Yes" (I am using SageTV 7.1.9 in case you don't see that option and are using an older version).
I upgraded my SageTV server to 7.1.9 to test this and despite setting this in detailed setup I am still not getting season and episode numbers in the filenames. I am now however getting a properties file that Plex does not seem to use. Am I missing another required setting ?
Old 12-13-2011, 03:30 PM
SageTVaholic

I see that you are all over that XBMC thread recently, assuming that you are PiX64 there as well, so you are well aware of what it does. Where you trying to use XBMC as your front end first.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fventura View Post
I upgraded my SageTV server to 7.1.9 to test this and despite setting this in detailed setup I am still not getting season and episode numbers in the filenames. I am now however getting a properties file that Plex does not seem to use. Am I missing another required setting ?
plex won't use the properties files at all. in order for plex to do anything there has to be season episode numbers int he filename...sometimes sage can find them and puts them in the filename, other times it doesn't...at least that is my experience. once this agent plugin i am working on is done, you won't have to worry about any of that.. hang tight im working on it.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I see that you are all over that XBMC thread recently, assuming that you are PiX64 there as well, so you are well aware of what it does. Where you trying to use XBMC as your front end first.
I was trying to use XBMC and yes that is me. I think XBMC is GREAT! i dont' like the fact that i have to put a computer at every tv. (yes there is an xbmc frontend for atv2 etc, but in order to sync everything you need the mysql server. another thing to setup. then you need to configure your ui, and copy those files all over your network to different devices...another setup point) (seemed like to much for the average joe in my opinion) What really excited me about plex was the mutli platform yes, but really the fact that it has a built in transcoding engine that is very robust.

plex has a rokyu client (uses transcoding of course), there is an atv2 client which i am using for testing, there is pc clients for pretty well every os except for linux from what i hear from Sean, mobile support etc.

It just seemed like a better solution for extending our sage experience to more devices and frontends...
Old 12-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Sage Icon

just as an update - i have plex seeing my media scraper agent, but i have a lot of tweaking to do. Currently i am just trying to scrape a single show and get the bmt metadata information. most of that is easy, but first things first i need to get plex to behave.

ill keep you updated on my progress.

Not sure if i will be able to keep working tonight or not, gotta take care of the kiddo and do some actual work work since i played with this all day :-)
Old 12-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Sage Icon

i hate it when work work gets in the way of fun work
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 12-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post
i hate it when work work gets in the way of fun work
Agreed!
Old 12-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
just as an update - i have plex seeing my media scraper agent, but i have a lot of tweaking to do. Currently i am just trying to scrape a single show and get the bmt metadata information. most of that is easy, but first things first i need to get plex to behave.

Exciting stuff! Can't wait to try what you come up with.
Sage Mini Client on Amazon Fire Sticks and Android TVs
Old 12-14-2011, 01:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Not sure if i will be able to keep working tonight or not, gotta take care of the kiddo and do some actual work work since i played with this all day :-)
So maybe I'm a little dense but I don't understand. I had set up Plex with all my Sage TV recordings, my music, ripped movies, etc. Plex grabbed all the meta data for all of them including the TV recordings with its own scrapers. Why do I need to talk to BMT to get the same metadata that Plex grabs on its own from tvdb? My TV recordings have the S & E numbers in the file name from Sage. Plex got everyone correct. So I watched recordings from PC Plex clients and Android Plex clients without issue.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Sage Icon

this will only be useful for recordings without the season and episode number. IF Plex can't find the season and ep. in a file name it will just throw the mediafile out and do nothing with it.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
this will only be useful for recordings without the season and episode number. IF Plex can't find the season and ep. in a file name it will just throw the mediafile out and do nothing with it.
OK. That's make sense.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.