SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sage Accomplishments over the years

I know alot of people were upset by the way the acquisition went down (especially myself). But I thought it would be nice to start a list of the top things Sage brought to its customers.
Hopefully this change in tone will repair some of the hurtful comments.

So here my personel favorites

1. The Sage Forumn is the best thing about sage. I have been to alot of different forumns over the years and Sage is hands down the most helpful forumn of them all.

2. Vision of Sage Devlopers to deliver the the best overall TV experience. They got it right.

3. Relentless improvement of software. Adding CC's, adding more card drivers, adding Malore Functions, upgrading the GUI. Sage Also had an extensive range of products supported.

4. Third Party Developers and Third party Tools. Even now we see how invaluable these people are with the development of SageDCT and new EPG sources to keep the product moving forward.

5. Customer Support was great! Sage listened to customers and delivered the upgrades. Sage also supported the HD PVR issues even thought 90% of the issues were with Hauppague, the Sage Developers still did some work arounds.

6. HD200, HD300 Need I say more?

I really hope everbody comments and adds to this list. Have a Nice Day.
Satelite: Dish VIP622 Bronze HD Pacakge, HD PVR Rev E1 1.5.6.1
TV1: Vizio 42" LCD 1080P 60HZ, Sage HD200, Yamaha 6.1
TV2: Samsung 26" LCD720P 60HZ, Sage HD200, TV Sound
Network: Airlink 300N to DLINK DAP-1522 to Sage HD200

Last edited by OldPCGUY; 03-05-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Sage Icon

1) The best thing I can say about Sage is that, at least for me, it just WORKED. I'm OTA-only with HDHRs, and it took almost no setup. I'm a noob when it comes to networking, computer programming, etc. I just installed the software, plugged in the devices, went through the basic config, and it worked. The only difficulties I have ever had were from configuring plugins (and the change to the OTA scheduling that they did last year, which was a minor hassle).

2) Awesome plugin developers. You guys rock. You've made a great product into an awesome product.

3) Echoing the OP, this forum rocks.

4) The extenders. This is sorta part of my #1 above, but they deserve their own mention. Virtually-flawless streaming of almost any format you throw at them. I'll overlook the HD100 capacitor issue (since I fixed it myself).

5) TV, DVD collection, MP3s, photos, home videos, online podcasts, streaming internet through PlayOn, weather, stocks, youtube, etc., etc.... on all the TVs in my house. None of my friends can touch that. 'Nuff said.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
I cannot disagree with anything listed. Even the marginally "bad" people in this forum were nice. 'Not true of other forums.

The community and product are/were top notch. It's a shame it has to come to an end (getting all teary eyed and nostalgic).
Old 03-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've captured dozens of show seasons without a single episode loss for years.

Some of my friends still need to race home to see TV shows by 8:00 or they'll miss them, or they'll ask me if I saw some jive commercial -- I just shake my head.

Of course a lot of people, both unpaid and/or likely underpaid made it all happen.

john
Old 03-07-2012, 03:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Sage actually listened to what their customers wanted and implemented it in a timely fashion. They didn't care about DRM or what the media companies wanted - unlike MC which was the main alternative. I fear that will change with the Google ownership.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Sage Icon

1. This Forum

2. Flexible, customizable and powerful

Can't say enough about that. The BEAUTY of SAGETV is that it really does cater to the "power user" and has brought us all together. It is sort of like the hobby days of computers in the 70's. Let's face it - it's not for everyone - I would say 99% of use who use Sage on a network at home probably know a fair amount about how to diagnose computers, networks, software, etc. We are the sophisticated "cream of the crop" non simple-mined users - this is not TIVO.

Mike
Old 03-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Playon Plugin

Well after being away for 1 year I deciced to check out the new plugins and I was blown away.

I added the Playon yesterday and showed it to my wife and she wants to cancel cable.

The Network feeds were very high quaility but the MTV vids were I don't know. Was TV really that bad in the 80s?

Great plugin by Evil Penguin.
Satelite: Dish VIP622 Bronze HD Pacakge, HD PVR Rev E1 1.5.6.1
TV1: Vizio 42" LCD 1080P 60HZ, Sage HD200, Yamaha 6.1
TV2: Samsung 26" LCD720P 60HZ, Sage HD200, TV Sound
Network: Airlink 300N to DLINK DAP-1522 to Sage HD200
Old 03-07-2012, 06:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPCGUY View Post
Was TV really that bad in the 80s?
The quality of 80s tv was really bad. Color TV standards didn't really change much from the early 70s until the 90's when digital cable started coming around. Remember when DVD's were amazing quality? That's because it was far and away a higher quality picture than what broadcast or cable could provide.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

It is hard to believe I've been a SageTV user for almost 7 years now. At the time SageTV was the only solution that allowed me to record multiple channels over analog cable at the same time while also being a media hub for videos, music and photos. Amazingly (to me at least) over these 7 years there has been no competing product that even came close to same feature set I'm looking for. Over this time the addition of HDPVR support, HD200/300 and all the great plugins just sweetened the pot. Today, SageTV is even more indispensable to me, especially in Canada where we still need to rely on cable for the most part to receive all our network TV content.

While SageTV wasn't without its issues in the beginning I'm now at the point where it just silently runs on my WHS server in the basement making sure my wife doesn't miss the latest season of the Bachelor.

I'm going to remain a devoted SageTV user as long as I possibly can since its all I've got.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Sage Fanatic

One of the greatest accomplishments to me, is that Sage was one of - if not the first - to truly see the benefit of more than one tuner at a time recording multiple channels at once. That is the biggy for me, the others are just icing on the cake.

Oh, and the great forum - probably the best on the net!

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 03-11-2012, 11:12 PM
SageTVaholic

When I started using Sage back in 2003, Sage was the only DVR software out there to support multiple tuners. Windows Media Center was sort of available at that point, through OEMs, but that didn't support multiple tuners. Snapstream didn't quite have it yet, although I think it did get it later in 2003.

The client/server architecture was another key feature, but I Snapstream had that by the time I started looking for DVR software.

I ended up going with Sage v1.4 only because of the support for multiple tuners. I thought the user interface was awful (because it was), but I lived with it for that one feature. The funny thing is, I didn't actually get a second tuner until four years later. By that time it was a standard feature and WMC came with most versions of Windows.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

I've been watching TV with Sage since 2004. It's been great for all those years; sure there were a few bugs or minor problems but this forum was always a great place for help and info. My worry is this place going away over time... and with Win8 around the corner, Java updates, etc., I wonder how long my existing dedicated Sage server will last. Well, nothing lasts forever, I just hope I get a few more years from Sage - nothing I've tried compares...

Rob
Old 03-12-2012, 01:08 PM
SageTVaholic

My biggest worry is that we are losing our third-party developers so it is unlikely that we will even get any new functionality added by plugins. There have been very few new plugins introduced since the day of the announcement and development of exisitng plugins also seems to have slowed down substantially. Slugger's recent announcment is an example of this and he was one of the most prolofic plugin writers.