SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Sage User

Need CableCard Help

I've read several threads where others have successfully setup a HDHomerun Prime + CableCard using SageDCT. I've been using TimeWarner analog service for quite a while and thought it was worth a shot.

I followed every instruction I could find for the combo, but I'm getting 'No Signal' even though I can scan using the HDHR setup GUI and it recognizes the full lineup.

Went back to the SageDCT download page from babgvant and found the following, which I previously overlooked, " Currently, only the Ceton InfiniTV 4 with 51+ (currently in beta) firmware will work. Other tuners will be added as they become available."

So, before I make another plunge and pick up the Ceton InfiniTV 4 card, can someone verify they have SageTV working with a CableCard? Anyone else have any luck with the HDHR Prime + CableCard combo??

Last edited by txmoss; 04-22-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmoss View Post
I've read several threads where others have successfully setup a HDHomerun Prime + CableCard using SageDCT. I've been using TimeWarner analog service for quite a while and thought it was worth a shot.

I followed every instruction I could find for the combo, but I'm getting 'No Signal' even though I can scan using the HDHR setup GUI and it recognizes the full lineup.

Went back to the SageDCT download page from babgvant and found the following, which I previously overlooked, " Currently, only the Ceton InfiniTV 4 with 51+ (currently in beta) firmware will work. Other tuners will be added as they become available."

So, before I make another plunge and pick up the Ceton InfiniTV 4 card, can someone verify they have SageTV working with a CableCard? Anyone else have any luck with the HDHR Prime + CableCard combo??
You didn't look too far there is a full thread on the Hd Homerun prime.... and it works well.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...postcount=1360
Old 04-22-2013, 09:42 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
You didn't look too far there is a full thread on the Hd Homerun prime.... and it works well.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...postcount=1360
I've followed both sets of these instructions and get 'No Signal' on my channels every time. Any way to troubleshoot if this is a Sage or HDHR signal issue?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmoss View Post
I've followed both sets of these instructions and get 'No Signal' on my channels every time. Any way to troubleshoot if this is a Sage or HDHR signal issue?
1.Make sure on the Hd Homerun Application tab SageTV is selected.
2. Make sure SageDCT service is using a user with Admin rights.
3. If using windows 7 and above make sure network discovery is on both Private and Public.
4. Make sere Sagedct and Sagetv have full access in your firewall.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

Did you try viewing the channels in the HD Prime setup. I thought Time Warner marks almost all there channels copy once which means it would not work in sagetv.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:50 AM
Sage User

Can you view TV via the HDHomerun QuickTV Application (Copy freely only) or through Windows Media Center (Copy once as well)?
Capture: OTA 4 tuners via 2x dual-tuner HDHR
SageTV: Version 7.1xx, Diamond, ComSkip, Playon, BMT, etc
Playback: (2) HD300, (2) HD200, (5) MediaMVP
Old 04-27-2013, 02:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

You cannot get TWC channels working in SageTV. All channels are copy once.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:20 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by big poppa pump View Post
You cannot get TWC channels working in SageTV. All channels are copy once.
Disappointed to learn that SageTV won't work with TWC channels!

I have been a longtime user of SageTV with the older white HDHR Dual OTA tuner, but over time, the signal quality / reception where I live (San Diego) has degraded to the point of being almost unuseable on the local channels. Getting pressure from the wife to get my act together.

So I've been considering basic cable (w/TWC) with HDHR Prime and SageDCT. That is, until discovering that all of TWC channels are copy-once, and won't work with SageTV. What a bummer. Yet I'm becoming convinced that cable+Prime may be my best hope for domestic tranquility.

Thanks in advance for advice, and answers to the following:

1) Any recent changes at TWC? Are all channels still copy once?
2) Is SageTV still unable to work with copy once?
3) Assuming yes, is WMC the best/only PVR option for cable+Prime?
4) Does WMC require the use of SageDCT given TWC copy-once channels?
5) Any recommended alternatives to WMC given my constraints (ie, wouldn't abandon SageTV given a choice)?

BTW, I'm now on Win7 with latest SageTV 7.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:30 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bott3322 View Post
1) Any recent changes at TWC? Are all channels still copy once?
Best option here is to pray for the Charter acquisition approval.

Quote:
5) Any recommended alternatives to WMC given my constraints (ie, wouldn't abandon SageTV given a choice)?
SageTV with HD-PVR/Colossus/HD-PVR 2 is an option, though YMMV in terms of reliability.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 02-12-2014, 09:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
Best option here is to pray for the Charter acquisition approval..
Nope - Comcast is going to acquire TWC - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...ner-cable.html
Old 02-13-2014, 06:45 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
Nope - Comcast is going to acquire TWC - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...ner-cable.html
That works too. Hopefully Bright House is next...
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 02-14-2014, 12:02 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
SageTV with HD-PVR/Colossus/HD-PVR 2 is an option, though YMMV in terms of reliability.
1) Is the way to think about HD-PVR /HD PVR 2 is it encodes HDHR Prime output, eliminating the copy-once limitation, allowing SageTV to manage essentially copy free recordings? Or would the HD-PVR / HD PVR2 accomplish the same thing but eliminate the need for HDHR Prime altogether?

I use an HD200 interface to my downstairs entertainment system. My OTA tuners+house coax cable are also downstairs, while my network-connected SageTV laptop is upstairs.

It appears that HD PVR would be USB-connected directly to the SageTV laptop.
2) Would this arrangement allow continued use of HD200 for entertainment center control via SageTV?
Old 02-14-2014, 03:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD-PVR is a capture device that sits behind a STB (or any other source, such as DVD player, PS/3, etc). It is independant of the HDHR Prime. The beauty of the HD-PVR is that it can capture via the Component (RGB) output from the STB, so it can capture premium channels as well as the Copy freely channels. (IE, I have an HDHR Prime and I have (3) HD-PVR. With the HD-PVR, I can record Starz and HBO shows). I have only had 1 or 2 glitches in the last couple of years where I had to shutdown the HD-PVR and restart it. I also had one case of not fully connected Blue cable, so everything was recorded in reddish/greenish. Other than that, it all works fine. Oh, except for the fact that I have to run Win 7 32-bit because I use firewire channel changing on the STBs. I'm trying to get my USB-UIRT working so I can eventually install win7-64bit, but I never have the time to figure it all out.

2) The HD-200 would operate the same way as it does now. It just shows what's already recorded. (Unless you watch live-tv through Sage).

Last edited by mgpaulus; 02-14-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:14 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
1) Is the way to think about HD-PVR /HD PVR 2 is it encodes HDHR Prime output, eliminating the copy-once limitation, allowing SageTV to manage essentially copy free recordings? Or would the HD-PVR / HD PVR2 accomplish the same thing but eliminate the need for HDHR Prime altogether?
The HD-PVR just captures whatever your cable box spits out. No need for HDHR Prime. You would connect coax cable from wall to Set top Box (STB), then component cable from STB to HD-PVR, then USB cable from HD-PVR to your computer running Sage.

You can use a separate HDHR Prime if you want as a second source (so you can record 2 shows at once). But, it is completely separate from the HD-PVR and cable box. Also, the Prime probably won't do much good if you have TWC as your cable provider, since they appear to flag pretty much everything as "Copy once" so it won't play back with Sage.

Quote:
I use an HD200 interface to my downstairs entertainment system. My OTA tuners+house coax cable are also downstairs, while my network-connected SageTV laptop is upstairs.

It appears that HD PVR would be USB-connected directly to the SageTV laptop.
2) Would this arrangement allow continued use of HD200 for entertainment center control via SageTV?
HD-PVR needs to be close to your cable box (use component video cables with RCA-style connectors to connect cable box to HD-PVR). HD-PVR also needs to be close to your SageTV server computer (use USB to connect HD-PVR to your PC).

There is one way around this, but requires a second PC running another copy of Sage to act as a Network Tuner. This 2nd PC needs to be close to the HD-PVR, and the HD-PVR still has to be close to your cable box, but your SageTV server PC can then be anywhere.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 02-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Sage Icon

I have HD-PVRs and they have their own drawbacks. First, they are semi-unreliable. Most people have to restart the device and Sage service at least once a month to make it work again after it freezes. Second, it requires a set top box for each stream you want to record. This can quickly add up considering the rental fees and hardware costs of each HD-PVR.

I do think having a HD-PVR in the system is a great idea to record the channels that are not recordable through the cablecard tuner. However I would definitely build around a cablecard tuner if you cable company doesn't limit every channel to record once or worse.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 02-14-2014, 09:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
I have HD-PVRs and they have their own drawbacks. First, they are semi-unreliable. Most people have to restart the device and Sage service at least once a month to make it work again after it freezes. Second, it requires a set top box for each stream you want to record. This can quickly add up considering the rental fees and hardware costs of each HD-PVR.

I do think having a HD-PVR in the system is a great idea to record the channels that are not recordable through the cablecard tuner. However I would definitely build around a cablecard tuner if you cable company doesn't limit every channel to record once or worse.
I've gone 6 months or more on my HD-PVRs before I've had problems. Now if you were talking Colossus I would say you've understated it. I got another Colossus to see if my problems were bad card related.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
Is this really good for the consumer?