SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:27 AM
SageTVaholic

HD-PVR killer?: Xbox One willl have built in Game DVR

I never understood this but apparently a large portion of Hauppauge HD-PVR sales are gamers who want to record their games.

This Game DVR feature of the new Xbox will likely cut demand for HD-PVRs, especially if it is copied in other gaming consoles. I hope this doesn't kill the HD-PVR product. Maybe it is time to start stocking up on them?

Here's an Engadget story that focuses more on the resolution of the recording: http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/06/m...video-at-720p/
Old 08-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I never understood this but apparently a large portion of Hauppauge HD-PVR sales are gamers who want to record their games.
I kind of agree with you, but thats the only way you can youtube anything with out a video recorded of sorts.

Quote:
This Game DVR feature of the new Xbox will likely cut demand for HD-PVRs, especially if it is copied in other gaming consoles. I hope this doesn't kill the HD-PVR product. Maybe it is time to start stocking up on them?
I picked one up when they were first released, it worked about as well as the collosus does. I am not sure if that got resolved or not, though.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
This Game DVR feature of the new Xbox will likely cut demand for HD-PVRs, especially if it is copied in other gaming consoles.
The PS4 has something similar.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
More than that, is this going to kill off Hauppauge entirely? The number/distribution of reviews of Hauppauge products on Amazon strongly suggests the HD-PVR line of products make up the bulk of their sales. And I have to think their TV tuner market is shrinking, given what's happened with WMC, SageTV, and BeyondTV.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:51 PM

You need wait in tell they released them so you see how they work but something tell me it going be the same kind stuff that Dirt Showdown has it doesn't really rec in Real-time it rec demo play that has be render out so keep that in mind that it doesn't do it hour on end last I hard it 5 to 15 min's at must.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Things aren't looking so great for Hauppauge. They filed their 10-Q last week and results don't look good at all - sales are WAY down. Over the last nine months their cash balance has fallen from $5.1 million to $2.3 million.

http://biz.yahoo.com/e/130814/haup10-q.html

Quote:
Since the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011, we have been implementing expense reduction initiatives. We switched from air to ocean freight to reduce shipping costs, outsourced most of our shipping and logistics to a third party, reduced personel, relocated certain facilities to smaller offices, renegotiated certain existing leases to reduce rent and closed certain sales offices. We believe that it may be increasingly difficult to make further material reductions in costs and maintain a viable operating plan. Additionally , absent a recovery in our business, we may be required to reduce our current expectations of future cash flows and pre-tax operating results, which, in turn, may result in charges for the impairment of our longed lived assets and/or increase the valuation allowance against our net deferred tax assets. Such charges could be material.

We are working to develop a strategy to address our continuing operating losses and loss of sales, and we have retained Corporate Fuel Advisors, an investment bank and advisory firm, to assist us in considering and pursuing strategic alternatives, including possible additional financing to fund our capital needs and the restructuring of our business.

We cannot assure that we will be able to develop and implement a plan that will enable us to successfully address our business and financial challenges. Among other things:

· If we seek financing, we may not be able to obtain funding to address our capital needs on commercially reasonable terms, or at all.

· We may not be able to develop new lines of products or services that will be positively accepted by the marketplace.

· We may not be able to successfully compete with our competitors’ product and service offerings.

· Customers and consumers may lose confidence in us as a result of our financial condition and performance, our potential de-listing from Nasdaq, should we lose our appeal related to such de-listing, and their perceptions of our business prospects and competitive position, and they may cease to do business with us or buy our products.

If any strategic or restructuring plan that we develop and implement is not successful, there is a substantial risk that that we might not be able to sustain our operations at current levels, which would have a material adverse effect on our business, operating results and financial condition.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Things aren't looking so great for Hauppauge. They filed their 10-Q last week and results don't look good at all - sales are WAY down. Over the last nine months their cash balance has fallen from $5.1 million to $2.3 million.

http://biz.yahoo.com/e/130814/haup10-q.html
Wow, that sounds bleak...
Old 08-20-2013, 08:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Time to buy some backups.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 08-20-2013, 09:28 AM
SageTVaholic

I guess. Although I would also expect a fair number of new HD-PVRs to be floating around the interwebs after a Hauppauge. It's probably not a bad idea to have a spare, though.

I used to run two HD-PVRs, but I fell back to one after I set up my cablecard tuner. I just need the HD-PVR for premium channels. So, I have a spare HD-PVR, plus I have a Colossus sitting in a box somewhere (I pre-ordered it when I was hoping that it would be more reliable than my HD-PVR).

If they all fail, I'd just cancel the premium channels. At this point, if Verizon turned on copy protection I'd be tempted to drop Sage. I've just found IR channel changing on my STB to be way to unreliable to rely on it on a daily basis. I'm not sure if its a USB-UIRT issue, a Sage issue or a STB issue, although I suspect it's usually an issue with the STB (a QIP7100-2).
Old 08-20-2013, 09:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Here in Canada you can't get CableCards so the HD-PVR is pretty much the only way to get non-OTA HD channels.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
... At this point, if Verizon turned on copy protection I'd be tempted to drop Sage. I've just found IR channel changing on my STB to be way to unreliable to rely on it on a daily basis. I'm not sure if its a USB-UIRT issue, a Sage issue or a STB issue, although I suspect it's usually an issue with the STB (a QIP7100-2).
Thats what happend to me. I tried the new HD-PVR2 in hopes of better integration and 5.1 capture, but that didn't work out so well.

My local (optimum) cable co, encrypted pretty much all but locals. So now I am runnig 7MC with CC. I wish I could have kept Sage, but it's not bad as a DVR, works real well actually. I do have daily remote reboots for the Prime though. But that is transparent to me.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post
My local (optimum) cable co, encrypted pretty much all but locals. So now I am runnig 7MC with CC.
Do you mean they copy protected them? I'm pretty happy with SageDCT for handling copy-freely channels decrypted through my HDHR Prime CC tuner.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Do you mean they copy protected them? I'm pretty happy with SageDCT for handling copy-freely channels decrypted through my HDHR Prime CC tuner.
CopyOnce on most channels, premiums have Copy Protection. I only have my local as CopyFreely.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post
CopyOnce on most channels, premiums have Copy Protection. I only have my local as CopyFreely.
Wait, are you saying the premiums are marked CopyNever? That seems crazy.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Wait, are you saying the premiums are marked CopyNever? That seems crazy.
Nope, in the prime web page they are CopyOnce + Copy Protected (encrypted), not sure why both? Copy Never is for PPV, but there is a time limit on the recording. PPV isn't supported through CC though (Not sure how that applies), I read what the limitations were when they changed everything.