SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Using extra tuners on my Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH??

So not sure where to post this (if on the sage boards at all), but as some of you know FIOS just blocked all the fox networks with copy once setting. So at this point, my wife can't watch National Geographic in the living room where she would use the HD 200 to 'watch live tv' on sage.

Of course Verizon wants $11.99/month ($143 a year?!?!) for a set top box, so I'm looking at other options. The one that seemed easiest might be to use a compact windows media center PC JUST for that tv so it has a tuner, and that tuner would be one of the tuners from the Ceton InfiniTV 6.

So here's what I'm wondering, can I use 5 of the tuners for SageTV, and the 6th for the media center PC?

For that matter, it occurs to me, is there any way to just connect to/utilize the tuner from the TV directly?

I know this isn't the best place for the question, but it's the only place I've got so I hope you can entertain the question.

Thanks all!
Old 08-06-2015, 06:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBurke View Post
For that matter, it occurs to me, is there any way to just connect to/utilize the tuner from the TV directly?
Only if your TV has a cablecard slot, which most do not, in fact, i don't think any current TV's do, as it was never a feature that sold well.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-06-2015, 06:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yea, definitely no cable card in the TV (I wish).

It looks like Ceton reports that the device is capable of being used 'with multiple pcs', but if anybody has any suggestions on how to ensure that I don't break sage while adding or 'moving' the one tuner to the media center PC, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks again!
Old 08-06-2015, 06:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

I just went through this with Verizon but opted for the set top box and HD-PVR to get the CCI'ed channels. You may be able to lower your bill by changing packages/subscriptions - I was able to lower my bill by $3.50 by adding more channels.

I've had both SageTV and WMC for years but no one in my family ever used WMC except to watch Game of Thrones - now with all channels available under SageTV it feels like we finally have access to all the programming we are paying for. IMO it's worth it to do it all within SageTV.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecore View Post
IMO it's worth it to do it all within SageTV.
Absolutely, but I can't anymore since they've blocked the channels. It was working great that way until that...
Old 08-06-2015, 08:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBurke View Post
Absolutely, but I can't anymore since they've blocked the channels. It was working great that way until that...
That's the point though, it IS worth it, and it is possible, with the addition of an HD-PVR and a Cable Box.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-06-2015, 09:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

OH, I gotcha... Totally missed that point.

Yea, I had that setup years back before the Ceton, with three of the HD tuners (and still have the three HDPVRs)... I can live without the channels for recording at this point, but just want to get the tuner for my wife so she can watch what she wants in the living room. As tight as things are right now, I have to pass on the extra $12 a month!

Thanks for all the help guys!