SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Plex 4.0 - better peruse the Plex.forum before updating....

Wow, lots of venom over some pretty major changes to Plex and how it operates/interfaces with servers, etc.
Version 4.0 - especially iOS users, who seem particularly pissed off.
So, if you use it, read up at the forums before updating...
sounds like the creators have drastically changed the model after paying subscribers had signed up for something different.

https://forums.plex.tv/categories/plex-for-ios
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 08-12-2015, 02:16 AM
SageTVaholic

I really hope they don't go to the 'have to sign into web site' model for all platforms, because that will seriously jack up my use of Plex when travelling.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-12-2015, 07:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
sounds like the creators have drastically changed the model after paying subscribers had signed up for something different.
I mostly use Plex on Android and Windows devices, but I'm curious about this, particularly if changes in the iOS app foreshadow changes in other apps.

I read through some of the posts over the the forums. It looks like there are some bugs and some issues with the transition from the old app to the new one (particularly for synced content). Other than that, what changed with the model that is so controversial?
Old 08-12-2015, 08:07 AM
SageTVaholic

It appears the app needs to be signed into the plex.tv website for any sort of functionality, even to vie synced content. That's the part I take a huge issue with, as it's ability to sync and use offline is the primary reason I even have plex installed.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
It appears the app needs to be signed into the plex.tv website for any sort of functionality, even to vie synced content. That's the part I take a huge issue with, as it's ability to sync and use offline is the primary reason I even have plex installed.
I'd find that very disruptive, too.

Are you sure that's what they changed, though? That seems like an incredibly bad move, given that a large reason for sync is for offline access. Are you sure you don't just need to log in once? There seems to be some bugs involving carrying over previously-synced content, too.

Edit to add:
I do, however, see multiple reports that you can't access offline servers from a LAN. I could see that being disruptive to some, although it probably wouldn't really matter to me as long as I can get to synced content on my device.

Last edited by reggie14; 08-12-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:18 AM
SageTVaholic

You can view synced content without an internet connection. I upgraded mine before lunch on Monday. I was planning on watching Falling Skies that I'd synced to my iPad during lunch. I don't get a wifi connection in the break room. Even if I did the wifi here blocks Plex from connecting. Initially I had trouble but then noticed that you can select your local device to play synced content without a connection.

My biggest issue with Plex is that it does not de-interlace interlaced video. The "work-around" I have found is to sync content to the lowest quality. It seems to blur things enough so that the combing is not visible. Wish they would implement proper de-interlacing.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
My biggest issue with Plex is that it does not de-interlace interlaced video. The "work-around" I have found is to sync content to the lowest quality. It seems to blur things enough so that the combing is not visible. Wish they would implement proper de-interlacing.
I remember you posting about this before. I haven't noticed this problem, although I tend to use Plex with DVD/blu-ray rips more than recorded content.

Do you just see this with synced content, or also streaming? I don't see any problems with interlacing when streaming, although I should note I usually need to stream at pretty low bitrates (which is annoying, given that I have 75mbps upload).
Old 08-12-2015, 08:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
I remember you posting about this before. I haven't noticed this problem, although I tend to use Plex with DVD/blu-ray rips more than recorded content.

Do you just see this with synced content, or also streaming? I don't see any problems with interlacing when streaming, although I should note I usually need to stream at pretty low bitrates (which is annoying, given that I have 75mbps upload).
I see the issue with both streaming and synced content depending on the bitrate. It's most noticeable at home where I have the bitrate set relatively high. Synced interlaced content on the Medium and High settings both show artifacts. The Low setting is the only one that is either low enough in resolution or sufficiently blurs the video enough so that the interlacing artifacts are not visible.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
can you explain to me the concept of "synced" content with regards to Plex? I don't have a paid account - aka I just pay for the app on each device.

Also, what would be an example of using "offline"? Right now I have loads of material on my Synology NAS, and my Sage server, which I can access through both my local network and via my no-ip.dns servers.

From how you read this, will any of that change? I'm hoping we all don't have to route all our traffic thru Plex's servers, as that will at minimum be slower and less reliable
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 08-12-2015, 03:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
can you explain to me the concept of "synced" content with regards to Plex? I don't have a paid account - aka I just pay for the app on each device.

Also, what would be an example of using "offline"? Right now I have loads of material on my Synology NAS, and my Sage server, which I can access through both my local network and via my no-ip.dns servers.

From how you read this, will any of that change? I'm hoping we all don't have to route all our traffic thru Plex's servers, as that will at minimum be slower and less reliable
Syncing means it downloads the file to your device for playback locally without the need for streaming. Handy for when you're away from wifi and you don't want to eat up your mobile data.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Syncing means it downloads the file to your device for playback locally without the need for streaming. Handy for when you're away from wifi and you don't want to eat up your mobile data.
The other advantage is that the android clients can also function as servers, so any content that is synced to one device is available to any other devices on the local network. This works great for my daughters, because they each can sync a bunch of different movies and shows to their tablets, and watch them on either of them, as long as they are networked together. To serve this, my RV has a cheap router in it, so even without internet, there is still a local network, so all the various devices can share content with others (including the Raspberry Pi connected to the TV, which is incapable of syncing content).

Old 08-12-2015, 06:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The other advantage is that the android clients can also function as servers, so any content that is synced to one device is available to any other devices on the local network. This works great for my daughters, because they each can sync a bunch of different movies and shows to their tablets, and watch them on either of them, as long as they are networked together. To serve this, my RV has a cheap router in it, so even without internet, there is still a local network, so all the various devices can share content with others (including the Raspberry Pi connected to the TV, which is incapable of syncing content).
The iOS app has this feature as well.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
and up to this point, one didn't have to sign in the Plex server to accomplish this, but now one does?
Old 08-12-2015, 08:36 PM
SageTVaholic

That is what the reports on the forum lead me to believe. I can't verify, as I've never owned an iDevice.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I've never been able to get downloading on any device to work. do you need to be a paid subscriber?

edit: answered my own question - Sync is a premium feature $40 per year, or $150 lifetime.
guess I'll live with streaming

Last edited by tvmaster2; 08-12-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:56 PM
SageTVaholic

So has anyone tried version 4.0 yet? Opinions?
Old 08-17-2015, 04:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So has anyone tried version 4.0 yet? Opinions?
Too much hidden in the hamburger menu. Otherwise it works well.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Too much hidden in the hamburger menu. Otherwise it works well.
no problems with signing in, access, etc? I don't subscribe to Plex Plus, so I'm trying to figure out if the update makes my situation more restrictive, aka trying to force people to subscribe. As it is now, I use Plex remotely via no-ip DNS servers, not by using Plex's servers
Old 08-17-2015, 10:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
no problems with signing in, access, etc? I don't subscribe to Plex Plus, so I'm trying to figure out if the update makes my situation more restrictive, aka trying to force people to subscribe. As it is now, I use Plex remotely via no-ip DNS servers, not by using Plex's servers
I think you at least need a Plex account. Not having Plex Plus will just restrict you from being able to sync and stuff like it always has.