SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 09-30-2015, 10:02 PM
Sage Icon

DVR (non-DIY discussion)

This is crazy. Tivo coming out with their own DVR: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013X8YI5I/?tag=aftvn-20

Silicondust is coming out with there DVR software to go with their hardware.
https://www.silicondust.com/products...d-homerun-dvr/

Tablo also does it and been out awhile: https://www.tablotv.com/

I'm surprised google didn't come out with a DVR (not counting google fiber). Of course they open sourced sagetv which is cool.

The non-DYI is not my thing. I'm currently doing KODI and sagetv for my recordings.

Any others I'm missing? What's your thoughts?
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!

Last edited by QueOnda; 09-30-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueOnda View Post
This is crazy. Tivo coming out with their own DVR: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013X8YI5I/?tag=aftvn-20

Silicondust is coming out with there DVR software to go with their hardware.
https://www.silicondust.com/products...d-homerun-dvr/

Tablo also does it and been out awhile: https://www.tablotv.com/

I'm surprised google didn't come out with a DVR (not counting google fiber). Of course they open sourced sagetv which is cool.

The non-DYI is not my thing. I'm currently doing KODI and sagetv for my recordings.

Any others I'm missing? What's your thoughts?
My opinion is that none of them do anything different than provider supplied DVR's, so might as well just go with that.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-01-2015, 04:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Well, I spent the $60.00 to follow along on the Silicondust DVR Kickstarter. So far it's been pretty disapointing.

Their progress, or lack thereof, shows just how difficult software development can be. They are down to only getting out one release every 30 days. Right now they have a very basic recording engine working. However, what any SageTV user would consider to be basic recording control is missing. There is no epg grid so you must browse a somewhat random list of shows, make a selection and then it will record every episode. There is some control over SD vs HD but no direct control. As far as I know, there is no way to record a single specific show such as one Thursday night football game.

Also, there are no DVR functions with live tv. You can't pause rewind or record the currently playing show. The current Kodi client uses the HDHomeRun view app for live TV. It actually works well. It is very snappy at changing channels etc. However, I wonder if it will work as well once all live TV is routed through the DVR.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:49 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueOnda View Post
This is crazy. Tivo coming out with their own DVR: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013X8YI5I/?tag=aftvn-20..
Ummm, you know they have been steadily releasing DVR's since 1999, right?
Old 10-01-2015, 06:53 AM

TiVo BOLT = Bent iPhone
Well at one point in time SageTV had plans for Stand along Hardware ATSC box sad that that never got finsh.

Last edited by SHS; 10-01-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:06 AM
SageTVaholic

to say none of these offer anything over cable dvr is off base a bit

I must admit tivo has come along way and their new box is nice not an amount of money I'll spend but for someone that only has encrypted cable it's a nice option and what allot of people have wanted out of sage or wmc
1.automatic commercial skipping (nice and surprising)
2. Netflix on same box including 4k
3. plex available and works well for movies
4.tivo stream is a nice small extender that still has Netflix and plex access.

and with the upcoming fire tv app even more. again WAY more than your standard cable box and all in all not a bad package
Old 10-01-2015, 07:49 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner View Post
Ummm, you know they have been steadily releasing DVR's since 1999, right?
I hear Kleenex may be selling tissue paper and Xerox might start making copy machines soon too (there are even some rumors about Scotch selling transparent tape, and Google launching an internet search engine).
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 10-01-2015, 08:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
I hear Kleenex may be selling tissue paper and Xerox might start making copy machines soon too (there are even some rumors about Scotch selling transparent tape, and Google launching an internet search engine).
Old 10-01-2015, 11:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
to say none of these offer anything over cable dvr is off base a bit

1.automatic commercial skipping (nice and surprising)
My understanding after reading the review is that this is done by someone manually tagging the commercial start and endpoints. So it doesn't work in real-time and only works on certain programs, mainly primetime programs on the most popular channels.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
My understanding after reading the review is that this is done by someone manually tagging the commercial start and endpoints. So it doesn't work in real-time and only works on certain programs, mainly primetime programs on the most popular channels.
Its better than most. Human error can be there but commercial skip programs aren't always 100% either. I don't really understand the user thing they are doing. Is it a paid person or just random people....But ya not real time but who watches real time anymore isn't that what dvrs are for
Old 10-01-2015, 05:27 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Next thing you know, you'll tell me that Frisbee is going to start selling flying discs!
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:13 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Next thing you know, you'll tell me that Frisbee is going to start selling flying discs!
NOWAY!!! A disc that fly's? Frisbee is cool. I wonder if we can do some cool and and tricks: https://www.google.com/search?q=Free...mes+and+tricks

What I meant regarding Tivo, that they were going to be able to stream and have a firetv app. But I haven't check out tivo for about a decade. But them coming out with capable of 4K output is nice. Their box looks like an apple product.

Did you hear what Amazon said today? Banning competing products that don't have an prime video support! Crazy! http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-to-st...video-support/
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!
Old 10-02-2015, 06:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I don't really understand the user thing they are doing. Is it a paid person or just random people....
They have a group of paid people who watch the shows and manually mark the commercials.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:00 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
They have a group of paid people who watch the shows and manually mark the commercials.
Like in the past, I don't see why they are doing this when litigation shut down ReplayTV and the "Hoppa".
Old 10-02-2015, 07:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Like in the past, I don't see why they are doing this when litigation shut down ReplayTV and the "Hoppa".
I believe the hopper is still in tact and has survived litigation.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:55 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I believe the hopper is still in tact and has survived litigation.
Ahh, I thought they had to change it to chapter skip, or whatever, non "Commercial Skip"
Old 10-02-2015, 08:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Ahh, I thought they had to change it to chapter skip, or whatever, non "Commercial Skip"
ya I believe part of the agreement was the 72 hour or whatever it is wait to watch. which still wouldn't bother people like me I'm so far behind lol